• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker choices

hc_416

Hey guy and gals,

I wanted to ask opinions on what speakers I should test out and try for a 2 channel/home theater. I am aiming for 5.1.4 I think, but i'm flexible. My preference is for a laid back presentation (currently have Polk audio lism 707). The front L and R, (floorstanders), would get the most money for the fact they would be severing double duty. The rest of the set up could be floor stander or monitor depending on budget. The content my wife and I listen to is high resolution qubzo files from our server, a blu-ray player from our ps5 and standard streaming apps. My system is as follows along with items I consdering;

Reciver/ processer Yamaha rx A8A
Amp ATI Ncore nc543, 500x3 4 to 8 ohms, 2 ohms not doable, will power the two towers and center
Custom built computer for high resolution files sent via Earc through TV.
Ps 5 Blue Ray player
Samsung qn90b feeding streaming service via eArc.
Polk audio Lism 707, 706c, and 705 back surround with monolith 13 inch sub
Room is 15 x15 with a bunch of stuff in it, no room treatments.
Building the system for now and for when we move.

I was considering the Polk audio l600 and matching setup. The integrated atoms is a nice selling point and I don't have to do work in the walls to get passable sound. I am very familiar with there sound.... and I really enjoy it. The negatives are they are only 300 watts rms so when I crank them up they take it, to a point the fall off a cliff. Also the looks are middle of the road.

New Martin Logan Motion series, I love the looks in white, would like to try out the new amt tweeter, lastly I would like to hear the mid range. I feel the current polks I have are muddy in the mid range. Negatives are price very expensive for a full theater and would maybe have to do a 5.1 and wait till I have more cash.

Adrenal 1723 thx, they are currently having a sale and would be a little cheaper, have a fair amount of headroom compared to the others, silk dome tweeter with wave guide for high dispersion and smooth sound. Negatives, heavy as heck, only 2.5 x over, looks a little worse than the polls.

Paradigm founders, best looking of all three, has a hard dome and would be brighter then all the others, could be plus or minus. Negative is price and hard dome.

Please tell me what ya think!

DWG

Sounds like you've selected some good choices. I own Ascend Acoustics and can recommend the RAAL towers, but pricewise they're in the neighborhood of the ML Motion. I've heard the Paradigm Founders Series and liked them. I didnt find them bright (but I'm 61 so high frequencies may not be as loud to me) and found them to be well balanced. No experience with Arendel. I'd like to suggest KLH Kendall. For the price ($1500/pair) I was astonished how good they sounded at Axpona a few years back, are nicely built with wood veneer. I think you can get them from Crutchfield with a 60 day return policy. Speakers are so personal I'd always recommend a good return policy and a chance to hear them in your own space with your own electronics, but everybody here knows that. Good luck with search.

Hapo

...I tried three sets of speakers from Crutchfield before I settled on a pair...there were no issues or penalties...

DWG

Hapo. Curious what you tried and which one you selected (and why)?

Hapo

...I started out with Elac UniFi UB 52's and really liked them, but they hurt my deflected ears...

...I tried a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2's for the soft dome tweeters but they were not that much less fatiguing and just didn't sound the same...

...ended up with a set of Elac Carina BS243.4's that I tried and eventually forgot I was auditioning...I got a set of speaker stands tossed in as well...

...the stands are too low for typical seating with the Carinas and way overpriced which is likely why they were giving them away...

...I understand that the Carina is a cheap copy of a better speaker...the price and discount were reasons I tried them...

...the Carina 234.4 still provided detail equal to or better than the Elac UniFi UB 52 w/o the fatigue setting in so soon...

...it seems to have especially clean porting and has good base response as well...I do have two SVS SB 2000 subs though...

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...I started out with Elac UniFi UB 52's and really liked them, but they hurt my deflected ears...

...I tried a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2's for the soft dome tweeters but they were not that much less fatiguing and just didn't sound the same...

...ended up with a set of Elac Carina BS243.4's that I tried and eventually forgot I was auditioning...I got a set of speaker stands tossed in as well...

...the stands are too low for typical seating with the Carinas and way overpriced which is likely why they were giving them away...

...I understand that the Carina is a cheap copy of a better speaker...the price and discount were reasons I tried them...

...the Carina 234.4 still provided detail equal to or better than the Elac UniFi UB 52 w/o the fatigue setting in so soon...

...it seems to have especially clean porting and has good base response as well...I do have two SVS SB 2000 subs though...
The amt tweeter is kinda ez on the ears if implemented properly, with generally good detail...i have a pair of emotiva b1' s that were modded by Dennis Murphy, they are probably pretty similar...

Hapo

...the helpful salesman @ Crutchfield was a big reason I tried the Craina speakers...he advised they would be easier on my ears than other speakers...

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...the helpful salesman @ Crutchfield was a big reason I tried the Craina speakers...he advised they would be easier on my ears than other speakers...
He was obviously right... Enjoy!

Hapo

...I kept forgetting that I was auditioning them...I figgred that was a good place to stop...

6044a2d3a5d65a5bf86212f97c7796f5.jpg

Top Bottom