• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cables

What would you make your cables from?

• Total voters

kongwee

Major Contributor
One doesn't decide not to comment and then post a comment about no comment... as in the end you have made a comment. :D
It is the same LCR stuff we have argue over about MIT cables. One say it does affect, other say it doesn't. That all.

airborne

I'm rearranging my listening room, and need to make some new speaker cables for my LX521's. Cables will be 10ft long each. Everything with be terminated with Speak-On connectors.

I currently drive both the sub drivers in parallel, so each side needs a total of 4 pairs of speaker wires

Canare 4S11 - 4 x 14AWG - https://www.redco.com/Canare-4S11.html - $1.59 per foot
Clark Wire SPKR1308 - 8 x 13AWG - https://www.redco.com/Clark-Wire-SPKR1308-8c-13AWG-Speaker-Cable.html - $3.65 per foot

Would there be any audio difference in:

1. Single Canare 4S11 for each pair of sub drivers, and a pair of Canare 4S11 for each upper section (3 x $1.59 = $4.77 per foot)
  2. Just using the 8 core Clark for the subs and upper sections ($3.65 per foot)
  3. Single Canare 4S11 for the subs, and Clark for the uppers ($3.65 + $1.59 = $5.24 per foot)
I'm tempted by option 2, as it's simple and cheap (just like me!) - is there any reason not to?

See edit below: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/speaker-cables.31994/post-1127520

all my cables ( signal and speaker ) are DIY from Canare ...

Canare makes quality cable but the real reason to use their speaker cables is they are light, strong and flexible for applications where those things matter ... and with their round shape they're also designed to fit twist lock speaker connectors used in PA speakers and will not kink like a cable that isn't round ...

for home use Home Depot cable will work the same for a fraction of the price.

Canare is a quality product that is worth the price but the features it has are likely not something you need ...

that said my cables are about 15 years old and are same as new. some cheap plastic would disintegrate on their own in that span of time or lose flexibility but Canare stuff doesn't seem to be affected by time. just as flexible as it was new with the surface having exactly the same feeling as it did when new as well. very well made. would not hesitate to use again.

speaker cables have no sound of their own provided conductors are thick enough for the length of the cable and impedance of the speaker ...

now for microphone cable or very long signal cables rejection of electromagnetic noise becomes an issue and Canare Star Quad cable may actually be needed ... but in a home system you don't normally run 100 foot long interconnects.

use active speakers if you can and for subs just make sure the wire is thick enough - home depot carries all gauges of wire. there are formulas and/or calculators online that can help you determine the gauge you need. basically the total resistance of the cable should be under 5% or so of the sub's impedance. but realistically even if it's 10% or even 20% it wouldn't be the end of the world because as the driver heats up it will add that much resistance by itself. with a thinner wire you're just going to start out with a driver already compressing before it even gets warm :)

Last edited:
OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
all my cables ( signal and speaker ) are DIY from Canare ...

Canare makes quality cable but the real reason to use their speaker cables is they are light, strong and flexible for applications where those things matter ... and with their round shape they're also designed to fit twist lock speaker connectors used in PA speakers and will not kink like a cable that isn't round ...

That's what the appeal is for me. If I can buy just the length I need, it's not expensive. I move my speakers monthly so the cleaners don't.

iLoveCats

Canare 4S11 is quality product. Nothing to do with sound. Handle it and work with it and you will know too

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a huge choice of perfectly robust banana connectors, but I'd buy some that offered covers to insulate them. It's quite possible to drop something on the amp that rolls behind that can short the 'bare' type, it's "sod's law" !
That's a good point. Actually I sold my passives and now the cable is on a drawer, so no risk at all. :D

Edit: That's the problem with cheap cables, you can't sell them because they are too cheap, and they end up in a drawer forever. With snake oil cables this is not an issue, they sell like candy.

Last edited:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Blue Jeans 10 gauge with ultrasonically welded terminations to locking banana plugs. Very cost effective cables.

1647950118601.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Looking at the profile, no comments.

You're right...there really isn't much that can be said, unless of course you have evidence to show otherwise? No? Didn't think so.

JP

Major Contributor
Truly the worst when you build speakers and run out of money, my man.

I would pick this: https://www.redco.com/Canare-4S11.html

Cheap and you might want to run just one cable to a first speaker, then from there a second. Overall, you would reduce the amount of cable you need, looks a bit tidier i guess.

What is it that you're trying to solve for?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it that you're trying to solve for?
Amount of cables you can trip over or have to look at.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rather difficult to reduce to less than what's required.
I'm not sure what you are trying to communicate.

JP

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what you are trying to communicate.

You appear to be suggesting that I can reduce the amount of cables used in my system, and I'm telling you that number of cables used is what is required.

Top Bottom