• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cables

What would you make your cables from?

• Total voters
OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Almost finished.

Single 8 core cable going to each speaker. High WAF.

Junction box in each sub splits the LF wires from LM, UM and T. Each pair of LF drivers are in parallel, driven by a NC400 amp.

Speakon connectors for ease of use at speaker end, banana for connecting to amps.

C7164C73-2B10-4242-8BEB-25326E21C713_1_102_o.jpeg

7807D2C1-EBD2-4C83-87FD-4A4DB44E3EFE_1_102_o.jpeg

Petroman

Hello folks,

I am going to share my experience for the first time here esp. on this controversial topic. Gonna get flamed!

I recently watched a youtube video by Steve on some inexpensive "Micca" cables recently and wanted to try them out.

Like Amir, being an engineer, I always thought of cables as snake oil, especially the digital (e.g. USB) ones. Since these were just $40 a pair I thought of having some fun. I do not have a very expensive system, my speakers/amp are average with good detail retrieval (Klipsch RP-8000F towers). I previously owned a pair of 16 gauge Monster brand cable and an Installgear 12 gauge wire bought from Amazon. After using the Micca cables, I could definitely hear differences right away. The sound stage was better, vocals were clearer and highs crisper. The low end also bit controlled compared to Installgear which produced muddier sound. To confirm what I heard, I asked my 16 year old son to listen while I switched both sets. He confirmed the same, having better/younger ears lol.

This certainly is not a placebo or a psychological effect since the prices are similar….there are clear differences to the point that I immediately switched out the Installgear permanently.

Now, another interesting video by another youtuber enthusiast regarding USB cables below is intriguing me to try different usb cables too. I will share my experience in the days to come.

I know that Amir has done many reviews on cables using very sensitive equipment and one can't see any tangible spec differences. So how would we explain the sonic differences? I can understand that when one spends thousands on a piece of wire, it may need to sound better lol, however, with relatively inexpensive cables, a different story.

I am not in US, live overseas, otherwise would have loved to send mine over to Amir to try. However, I would suggest to try for yourself. Order a pair of Micca ($40/pair) and compare them with your lamp cord. If you don't like them return back to Amazon or keep it for fun, won't break the bank anyways.

Cheers
Ali

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This certainly is not a placebo or a psychological effect since the prices are similar….there are clear differences to the point that I immediately switched out the Installgear permanently.

You are vastly oversimplifying the placebo/bias issue.

Have you seen this? Try your experiments with your controls tightened up, and see how it goes.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Proof again that an engineering background will normally not include the basics of sensory science.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Almost finished.

Single 8 core cable going to each speaker. High WAF.

Junction box in each sub splits the LF wires from LM, UM and T. Each pair of LF drivers are in parallel, driven by a NC400 amp.

Speakon connectors for ease of use at speaker end, banana for connecting to amps.

View attachment 205501

View attachment 205502
Nice ! Practical.
I use NL8's and NL4's a lot. Sometimes with 50ft runs.

Fwiw, i've found this to be a quality 8 x 2.5mm cable at reasonable cost...if others are looking for such. $8.63 meter; $2.63 foot.

Petroman

What does this mean? I think either a qualitative or a quantitative answer would be illuminating.
Mhardy, the best way to explain is that sound appear to be behind the speakers and not coming directly from speakers...during the AB testing I did not move the speakers..the speakers tend to be less present physically. I do not have any equipment to check any electrical parameters though. As I said earlier, it is really easy for folks in US. Order a pair if you use a standard Homedepot electrical copper cable for speakers and compare.
Again, a nice set of cable below $100 is the max I may spend for my current setup.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Mhardy, the best way to explain is that sound appear to be behind the speakers and not coming directly from speakers...during the AB testing I did not move the speakers..the speakers tend to be less present physically. I do not have any equipment to check any electrical parameters though. As I said earlier, it is really easy for folks in US. Order a pair if you use a standard Homedepot electrical copper cable for speakers and compare.
Again, a nice set of cable below $100 is the max I may spend for my current setup.
Likely there’s nothing in the electrical parameters that will be unusual.

Top Bottom