• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cables

What would you make your cables from?

• Total voters

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I'm rearranging my listening room, and need to make some new speaker cables for my LX521's. Cables will be 10ft long each. Everything with be terminated with Speak-On connectors.

I currently drive both the sub drivers in parallel, so each side needs a total of 4 pairs of speaker wires

Canare 4S11 - 4 x 14AWG - https://www.redco.com/Canare-4S11.html - $1.59 per foot
Clark Wire SPKR1308 - 8 x 13AWG - https://www.redco.com/Clark-Wire-SPKR1308-8c-13AWG-Speaker-Cable.html - $3.65 per foot

Would there be any audio difference in:

1. Single Canare 4S11 for each pair of sub drivers, and a pair of Canare 4S11 for each upper section (3 x $1.59 = $4.77 per foot)
  2. Just using the 8 core Clark for the subs and upper sections ($3.65 per foot)
  3. Single Canare 4S11 for the subs, and Clark for the uppers ($3.65 + $1.59 = $5.24 per foot)
I'm tempted by option 2, as it's simple and cheap (just like me!) - is there any reason not to?

See edit below: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/speaker-cables.31994/post-1127520

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good quality lamp cord.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Southwire brand Romex®, 14AWG or 12AWG three conductor plus ground.
wire as a StarQuad. Black & Red to one terminal, White & bare to the other.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t get the hostility to your question. It’s a reasonable cable question, not a stupid one about “sound.”

I think it depends on the amp configuration. If splitting an 8-core cable will be ungainly, do 2x14/4 and either 2x Speakon NL4 or 1xNL8 at the speaker. If you can manage the 8-core at the amp end, 8-core to Speakon NL8 is the most elegant.

The options with more than one pair of leads per drive unit are dumb, especially at that length.

I would say check around on price for 8-core brands if the total length were long. At 20’ total the differences are marginal and not worth the time. I’m sure the Clark is fine. I’ve never used it (only personally used Mogami in 8-core speaker cable) but I have used Clark 8-cable XLR bulk snake and no complaints.

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Sorry, should have explained why I like the mentioned cables (acknowledging the facepalm emoji).

I want something flexible. Having at least 8 conductors in there makes things stiff. I want to put it into a cover so there is not a mass of ugly cables. 4 lots of Romex probably isn't going to lie flat. The Canare does.

When I mentioned difference in the audio, it was more a sanity check to make sure I'm not screwing anything up.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Would there be any audio difference in:
No*

*maybe you can hear the difference because of placebo. this is totally valid and fine reason to choses the cabe you "like" more.

I want something flexible. Having at least 8 conductors in there makes things stiff. I want to put it into a cover so there is not a mass of ugly cables. 4 lots of Romex isn't going to lie flat.
This is a reason to go with the 8 conductor cabel.

OP
Madjalapeno

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I don’t get the hostility to your question. It’s a reasonable cable question, not a stupid one about “sound.”
Thank you. As long as there isn't going to be some weird inductance I'm happy. There are much cleverer people on here than me, hence the sanity check.
I think it depends on the amp configuration. If splitting an 8-core cable will be ungainly, do 2x14/4 and either 2x Speakon NL4 or 1xNL8 at the speaker. If you can manage the 8-core at the amp end, 8-core to Speakon NL8 is the most elegant.

I use NL4's and NL8's at the moment. Thinking of having an NL8 on the subs, using it as a junction box, and then a NL8 male connector with just the channels for the upper section to cut down on cables on the floor.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
12 gauge twin lead from Lowe's or Home Depot.
Yes this. Gene at Audioholics speaks highly of it. I grabbed some 12 gauge from Parts Express when they had an amazing sale last year. I forget the price but the sale was deep.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes this. Gene at Audioholics speaks highly of it. I grabbed some 12 gauge from Parts Express when they had an amazing sale last year. I forget the price but the sale was deep.
This is what I use. I didn't shop around for price, just grabbed something convenient.

JP

Major Contributor
I want something flexible.
SJOOW or similar works great for me.

EFEE0100-8D4B-4AA3-BEA9-8B1381CDEA90.jpeg

kongwee

Major Contributor
For me, no cable sound the same. It is whether the different can be neglected.

JSmith

Master Contributor
For me, no cable sound the same. It is whether the different can be neglected.
  • Under normal circumstances, the answer is NO: speaker wire does not affect sound quality. However, in some cases, (explained in further below) sound quality or volume can be affected somewhat.
  • There’s no scientific test data to back up the (misleading) idea that “special” or “audiophile” speaker wires or expensive cable make a noticeable difference versus affordable, good quality speaker wire of the correct gauge. 99.9% of the time it’s unsubstantiated claims and the difference really does not matter!
  • Using non-standard wire or cables instead of speaker wire can result in sound changes, although very minor. Excessively long or other high-resistance wire can affect the sound by causing a drop in speaker volume and some other details.
  • For best results, do not coil long lengths of speaker wire as this can create inductance that reduces some sound frequencies as a crossover does.
  • The wire between speaker crossovers and the speakers should be kept fairly short. Excessively long wire to the crossover & at the speakers can cause the crossover’s behavior to change & alter the sound response of the speaker.

JSmith

Holmz

Major Contributor
The Mogami 3103 or 3104 also terminates nicely into SpeakOn connectors.
Markertech carries it as do others.

Top Bottom