• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

totti1965

He said he bought the cable used. Typical margins for cables is 60 to 65%. He would be stupid to have paid more than $10K for them.
Oh Amir! You´ve got three typos in three sentences: Obviously you have forgotten the Zeros and wanted to say 6.000 % to 6.500 %...... And in your third sentence there is this K to much! Slipped on the keyboard??? ;)

Reactions: VQR

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Obviously you have forgotten the Zeros and wanted to say 6.000 % to 6.500 %......
What? No. The margin for the dealer is 60 to 65% of MSRP. So if the cable retails for $100K, the dealer cost is $35K to $40K. The dealer decides how much of a discount he wants to give to his customers.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh Amir! You´ve got three typos in three sentences: Obviously you have forgotten the Zeros and wanted to say 6.000 % to 6.500 %...... And in your third sentence there is this K to much! Slipped on the keyboard??? ;)
What? No. The margin for the dealer is 60 to 65% of MSRP. So if the cable retails for $100K, the dealer cost is $35K to $40K. The dealer decides how much of a discount he wants to give to his customers.
I get the joke, the margin for the manufacturer :)

CapMan

Major Contributor
I was muttering about snake oil to my wife and mentioned cable lifters as an example .

“What are they” she said. I quickly googled and found these - just £600 for 4. The manufacturer can’t even spell “raising” so not much hope for the product IMHO!

When she stops laughing I’ll find out what she really thinks of the idea

Some text from the sales blurb :

“With the addition of a precisely machined three-layer house and a high-precision ceramic ball, it vibrates naturally like a liquid even though it is solid and eliminates vibration. When you lightly touch the Sound Wings, it shows a natural movement that is flexible and smooth like jelly, and based on this movement, it effectively absorbs and controls the micro-vibrations generated inside and outside. As a result, any cable placed on the Sound Wings is prevented from distortion due to vibration like musical instruments suspended in the air, such as Gong and Tam Tam, and natural sounding is guaranteed, maximizing its original performance.”

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I was muttering about snake oil to my wife and mentioned cable lifters as an example .

“What are they” she said. I quickly googled and found these - just £600 for 4. The manufacturer can’t even spell “raising” so not much hope for the product IMHO!

When she stops laughing I’ll find out what she really thinks of the idea
"Swing technology"

Or what us in the biz call "rubber bands"

Sometimes I genuinely wish I were devoid of ethics or morals.

PHD

That this looks like a colonoscope instrument for elephants... which probably costs much less, including the elephant...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Motherf***er... these people are supposed experts on audio, and the recording of this guy's voice is distorting (clipping???) constantly??! The tone also sucks.

Golden ears my ass. anyone who really cared about audio would rather punch themselves in the face than publish this abomination. This is worse than Zoom call recorded with built-in mics.

I'm not even mad about the $80K cable, that's more like sad for him than enraging. I'm just really annoyed that supposed audiophiles put such utter catsh** audio on Youtube. The credibility is below the floor. I know he's not a recording engineer, but FFS have a little pride.

Take some of that $80K and buy a $40 mic you clown!! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :mad::mad::mad:

What does upset me a bit is wondering how someone this gullible got their hands on so much cash.
I was gonna comment about that - but now you've done it for me - and so much more eloquently than I'd have managed. :p:D:cool:

CapMan

Major Contributor
I mean, give the £600 to charity or something meaningful.

This is just a gross / insulting waste of money when there is so much inequality in the world.

Sorry to moralise.

roog

Forum Donor
I mean, give the £600 to charity or something meaningful.

This is just a gross / insulting waste of money when there is so much inequality in the world.

Sorry to moralise.
And ultimately a waste of resources leading to land fill.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

totti1965

??? No, I meant $10,000 which we abbreviate to $10K. Are you pulling my leg or were you serious?
Oh, the Amir I know would have actually written something about the true sonic value of these cables. And in terms of sound, these should be easily beaten by such computer cables in cross-connection or? Is that really you who is posting? After all, the inductance of cross-wired computer cables should be much lower and therefore the transparency higher (because of lower damping of high frequencies) than with the "transparent" cables.....

And yes, of course I was joking: I meant USD 4,-- and not USD 10,-- LOL
But you're right, there is also a "market value", which has nothing to do with the sonic value. This is probably actually around USD 10.000,--.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My first thought was a salt lake streamliner like the bluebird as well.

Mine was different:
1686311902543.png

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know about that, watched a few of his vids (mostly for giggles), and he keeps trying to sell subscriptions to his website... Kinda makes it seem like he doesn't have a lot of money... I mean, he sure has lots of audio gear, but I don't see why someone with money would spend so much time and energy on selling website subscriptions...! That seems to be the entire reason for his yt channel, since you know, he has ***EXCLUSIVE CONTENT*** on his website, that you can register to, best information, never waste any money buying gear because he owned everything and has experience with every audio gear blablabla

Plus he calls his listening room a 'lab', but he never does any comparison or anything, just plays handheld clips ... And did you hear he has a website?
I had a website once for my blog. :)

I dunno. When I see people flaunting stuff like that all I can see is bragging.

So in the comments he told me "He's just a consumer." So then I asked why he calls it a "lab" and why he offers consultation services.

Crickets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom