• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker cables from AVR using RJ45 (Cat) then out to speakers

OP
D

DrStranger

@DrStranger

We are not getting pedantic. It is important to use proper terms just to get the right answers.
What you are planning to do is to use that kind of connector:
View attachment 232549

These are not Ethernet connectors. They are 8-conductors connectors. They are also, and it is unfortunate called "RJ-45 connectors"... but ....

Yes you can. Such connectors... Ok let's call them RJ-45 are capable of supporting up to 100 watts of Power, yes. So if you are never going to exceed that, then you can. You would use Cat 6 and the appropriate conductors for Cat 6. It is not as cheap as it seems..
The better solution would be however to use these wallmount speaker connectors:
61x1cD2FYzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You put 2 next to the AVR and one each next to the surround speakers
Between these in the wall you put this cable that is made to be inside a wall ... Make sure these are UL-Rated, I can't vouch for those on the picture...

71eMTCmoSsS._SL1500_.jpg

Done...

You use banana connectors...

Safer and less fuss. Potentially less expensive too.

Peace
Yes, I am planing to strip/peel one end for the avr & speakers and use the other to the RJ45 wall connector .

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If this is your best option, go ahead and do it! Just make sure the wiring is correct, including the polarity. The rear speakers aren't as critical and it will be better than no rear speakers! Assuming you have a pair of rear speakers (4 wires-connections), you have 8 wires so you can double-up the wiring for lower resistance and less chance of a poor contact.

OP
D

DrStranger

If this is your best option, go ahead and do it! Just make sure the wiring is correct, including the polarity. The rear speakers aren't as critical and it will be better than no rear speakers! Assuming you have a pair of rear speakers (4 wires-connections), you have 8 wires so you can double-up the wiring for lower resistance and less chance of a poor contact.
Understood, thank you.

So 8 cables , 4 to each speakers then split in to 2 for red and 2 for black PER speaker.

Should I do banana plugs for each speaker and AVR input?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
How do you mean?
I would install a fuse between the amplifier and the RJ45 wall socket. You are potentially running an higher level of current through those wires than they were meant to handle and since the wires run inside your walls, I would personally add a fuse for overheat protection.

The odds are greatly against anything happening, but I would do for personal comfort.

OP
D

DrStranger

I would install a fuse between the amplifier and the RJ45 wall socket. You are potentially running an higher level of current through those wires than they were meant to handle and since the wires run inside your walls, I would personally add a fuse for overheat protection.

The odds are greatly against anything happening, but I would do for personal comfort.
Ok, can you point me to the right direction, I don’t know what to look for?

Thank you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are potentially running an higher level of current through those wires than they were meant to handle
Power over Ethernet can do upto 70W on the same wires. I doubt a few watts for the rears will impress the cable much.

mansr

Major Contributor
1663859440384.png

These are not Ethernet connectors. They are 8-conductors connectors. They are also, and it is unfortunate called "RJ-45 connectors"... but ....
You seem to be confused. Those are definitely (one type of) Ethernet connectors. They are, however, not RJ-45, despite being commonly referred to as such. The generic name for that connector type is 8P8C.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to be confused. Those are definitely (one type of) Ethernet connectors. They are, however, not RJ-45, despite being commonly referred to as such. The generic name for that connector type is 8P8C.
They are also, and it is unfortunate called "RJ-45 connectors"... but ....

I thought , I made it clear... "unfortunate" ...
The moniker, "RJ-45" although inaccurate, has stuck.. Unfortunately ;).

Peace.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would suggest to the OP not to mess with wires and electricity. Hire someone to do it right The risks outweigh any perceived benefits.

Peace.
Audio signals are not a meaningful hazard electrically in any way. The full audio power on a single strand of RJ-45 I suppose could fry it somewhere inside the wall… use multiple strands as suggested by previous posters.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please excuse, but I dont know how to put replies on each of your answers and question in one post.
Just keep pressing reply for each post you want to answer, they'll all accumulate in your reply post....

Top Bottom