• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cables At March Audio

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yeah, I guess I'm a luddite as well - even in my theater. I actually made the conscious effort to avoid speakon connectors even. :eek:

Call it lazy, stupid, whatever you want - every piece of equipment and almost every passive speaker I own has 5-way binding posts - only my Crown amps have speakon connectors (but also binding posts) - so if I don't want to duplicate work... guess which "inferior" connector I'm going with. If I ever move anything to another room (just to see what speaker G sounds like on integrated C for example) I dig in my bin of cables and off I go - usually in seconds.

Then again I'm so clueless that I see no reason to ever run more than a 7.2 setup even in my theater. In fact, 95% of the time I'd rather watch a movie on my 65" OLED in my 2.1 den - than go through the 5-10 minutes of "startup and cleanup" required to use my projector and surround setup. :facepalm:

ol_mcdonald

Poor mis--guided consumer. Love speakON...

Attachments

• IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 180
  • Input mod 3.jpg
    Input mod 3.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 176

digicidal

Major Contributor
My version of the same - they sound as fantastic as every other cable... depending on which speakers are connected to them (naturally they also sound as horrible as every other cable for the same reasons).
IMG_1060.JPG
The upside to not having welded termination is that if you wanted to... are free to add your own "appearance enhancement items" without complication. If I were already buying an amp from March and needed some more cables, and the markup was nominal... I'd bite.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Only ever used Speakons once in my career and that was for an otherwise delightful Quad 707 power amp that came with them only, at least in its early days. I thought there was an issue with the kind of cables to use - maybe circular jacket and not too heavy gauge? At days end, I suspect it was my cluelessness with them, but an effin' pain in thebutt for me I'm afraid. i think Quad learned lessons here as the 909 amp (initially UK made before the takeover) returned to 4mm plugs - and you can get some which don't go loose after a few instertions and removals ;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They have positive retention. You have to twist on insertion and removal. I, and I am sure many of us, could relate numerous stories of helpful "roadies" who destroyed amps, cables, speaker jacks, etc. either not locking them in (so they fall out during the show, always a trip) or by yanking them out by the cable afterwards (along with various other pieces -- one genius ripped off the mounting plate on the speaker and the (soldered) terminals from the driver in the cabinet). Properly used they are wonderful.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the same cable with spades, bananas won't work on my speakers. Used canare 4s11 for years, good flexible wire.

Totoro

Where does your average non technical user buy speakon on the high street?

How many cable vendors offer speakon as a fitted option?

I'm sure you will now come up with some examples, but that would be missing the point.
I bought mine at the local guitar shop. Lol, my speaker cables are real high end: peavey

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I bought mine at the local guitar shop. Lol, my speaker cables are real high end: peavey
and your Peavey cable is probably better than some of the high end nonsense available at stupid prices.

Our range is called NF (I or S). NF stands for "No Foo" ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why bi-wire cables at all? I do use Speakon on all my diy stuff, but do wish more consumer stuff had it (but understand why it doesn't).

Daverz

Major Contributor
Why bi-wire cables at all? I do use Speakon on all my diy stuff, but do wish more consumer stuff had it (but understand why it doesn't).

I think it might be better than using a strap between speaker terminals, but then the need for the straps is created by providing the extra terminals for bi-wiring. Bi-wire connections is usually just a marketing thing anyway: they are expected on "audiophile" speakers above a certain price point.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it might be better than using a strap between speaker terminals, but then the need for the straps is created by providing the extra terminals for bi-wiring. Bi-wire connections is usually just a marketing thing anyway: they are expected on "audiophile" speakers above a certain price point.

At least you're not calling them bi-amping terminals :)

Top Bottom