• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cable (sorry!)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jim Brown, retired Audio Engineering Society interference expert thinks that all cables should be twisted. Note that twisting and braiding are about equally effective.

Indeed!, for me too in my multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active audio project (latest setup here) where I need using so many rather long (about 7 m) SP cables. I prefer using reasonably priced AWG10 and/or AWG12 multicore flexible VCT (Vinyl Cabtyre) cables as shared here; they are twisted all the way;
WS00006440.JPG

And I always further twist them for connection to SP binding posts of amplifiers;
WS00006439.JPG

ChrisCables

Audio Company
"[Darko believes] It's financially advantageous for cheapo audiophiles to purposely claim expensive cables make no difference so they save some $$$. "

That one slayed me. We cheapskates have a conflict of interest.
Good theoretical strategy I suppose.
However, unfortunately there will always be those who believe that more expensive = better.
:/

Punter

There are no arrows on those cables, how do you know you have them the right way around?????

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are no arrows on those cables, how do you know you have them the right way around?????

Oh no!:facepalm::facepalm:
Essentially and practically (and physically), we have no "direction restriction" at all, in SP cables.
At least for me, if a (pseudo-HiFi? or expensive?) SP cable shows arrows of directivity, I recognize such cable as (extreme) snake oil one.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Essentially and practically (and physically), we have no "direction restriction" at all, in SP cables.
At least for me, if a (pseudo-HiFi? or expensive?) SP cable shows arrows of directivity, I recognize such cable as (extreme) snake oil one.
'Specially when the 'lectric goes both ways in 'em.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the day it was said to connect the cable in the direction of the label on the cable (provided it had one, I guess)... :-D

egellings

Major Contributor
Back in the day it was said to connect the cable in the direction of the label on the cable (provided it had one, I guess)... :-D
Then, follow the pustructions! It will sound better to you if you do that.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Or against the direction of the label if the cable was labelled in Hebrew or Arabic.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Or against the direction of the label if the cable was labelled in Hebrew or Arabic.

but, but -- don't both ends get connected to something?
In the non Arabic/Hebrew case, from source to amp or vice versa?
And what about Japanese?
Or Chinese for that matter?
And is it different in the Southern Hemisphere?
And what if there's an arrow, and it points up when the cable is installed? Is that OK?

I mean -- dang -- this audiophile stuff is all so difficult, and so complicated! I wish I had an EE degree, so I understood it all better!

;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have to think the Coriolis effect has an audible impact.
Gobsmacking.
I mean... she can hear it, out in the kitchen, you know? Especially if the kitchen's on one side of the equator, and the hifi on the other.
That's one that requires a pro for proper installation & setup.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gobsmacking.
I mean... she can hear it, out in the kitchen, you know? Especially if the kitchen's on one side of the equator, and the hifi on the other.
That's one that requires a pro for proper installation & setup.
Odd how a kitchen has just the right acoustics to hear audiophile effects.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
For completeness, the aforementioned wife from the kitchen demo:
It is pretty good. :)

Top Bottom