• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Cable Connector Question - AudioQuest Rocket 33

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,
I recently noticed that my speaker cable connectors are going bad, I am looking for suggestion if I need to replace those connectors or if these are still good to use?
This cable is AudioQuest Rocket 33.

1.jpg

2.jpg

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Those are silver-plated connectors, right? I've had good luck polishing connectors with Cape Cod polish. However, silver always tarnishes and doesn't make for good connectors. (It is the jewelry in "audio jewelry.") For about the same price as the Cape Cod polish, you can get the locking banana connectors here, at the bottom of the page:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

Those are as good a connector as you can get. Generally, the biggest issue you face with speaker wire is loose connectors. These take care of that problem.

Thanks franspambot.
New ones on their website show silver plated but mine looks like gold plated (it's few years old).
If it is not a good idea to use it as it is then I have a few pairs of banana plugs which I could use. Seller said its made of pure copper block but I don't know, these are quite heavy for a banana plug though (I thought he was kidding anyway!!!)
I don't like the open part in the middle of the plugs, it exposes the cable core. It looks kinda similar to those available on bluejeanscable portal.

3.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Gold plating is often done over silver (or nickel) to provide a harder base. Any silver polish should work to make them nice and shiny again. It looks like one is bent, however, a fairly common problem with those type of banana plugs.

samysound

assuming the substrate is copper based, typically a nickel layer is first applied followed by gold. The nickel enhances adhesion and prevents diffusion between gold and copper. the gold is primarily for resistance to oxidation

gfinlays

Dear FMs,
I recently noticed that my speaker cable connectors are going bad, I am looking for suggestion if I need to replace those connectors or if these are still good to use?
This cable is AudioQuest Rocket 33.

View attachment 104138

View attachment 104139
Silver jewellery cleaning liquid works well. Rather than removing the oxide like a polishing compound does, it uses a reducing agent to deoxidise the silver oxide back to silver.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd just cut them off and use some plugs that are more robust.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Gold plating is often done over silver (or nickel) to provide a harder base. Any silver polish should work to make them nice and shiny again. It looks like one is bent, however, a fairly common problem with those type of banana plugs.

Thanks DonH56, I contacted AudioQuest support and then said it is just cosmetic shouldn't be affecting the sound.
They said that all their connectors are direct-gold or direct-silver plated over copper base connector. Seems like there is no intermediate layer of nickel.
Just like you @DonH56 , @gfinlays and @franspambot , they also suggested to simply clean it with silver cleaning product if tarnish bothers. I am going to give it a try.

Thank you @DonH56 , @gfinlays and @franspambot again for responding to query.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

I'd just cut them off and use some plugs that are more robust.

Thanks @Wes , I am going to try cleaning it with silver cleaning product, if it won't satisfy me then will surely replace the banana plugs :(.

Top Bottom