• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Buying Advice (Good Towers <$1k)

Aprude51

I’m in the market for a new pair of speakers, and am seeking some advice on my options. In particular, recommendations for well designed floor standers in the <$1k price range (I’m willing to go used).

My needs & questions:
  • Budget: I think I’d like to stay under $1k. If I end up being willing to spend $2K, I’ll just go with the Revel F206 and be done with it!
  • Use: I use the speakers almost equally for music & home theater. Note: I’ve tried surround sound but don’t think it’s worth the mess and I dislike having an AVR in my system.
  • Sub: I would like to avoid using subs, mostly for aesthetic reasons.
  • Floor vs. Bookshelf: Is there any advantage to bookshelf speakers besides their space savings?
  • Auditioning: I've struggled to come up with an effective method of auditioning speakers. There are so many variables, including custom room correction and positioning, that I'm not really sure if I'm making apples to apples comparisons. Does anyone have advice on the best way to compare speakers in your listening space?
I’ve had following speakers in my apartment for audition:

Buchardt S400
  • I’ve struggled to get good imaging out of them & their “sweet spot” feels pretty narrow. If I move off-center on my couch, it feels like I’m only hearing the speaker on the side I moved towards.
  • Bass is impressive for a bookshelf speaker, but I wonder why I shouldn’t just go with a floor-stander.
  • They aren’t available used, and thus are kind of pricey ($1800)
Elac Uni-Fi UF5
  • Although their measurements are not exemplary, like the S400s, it looks like they made an effort to give them good off-axis performance. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone on ASR point to these as speakers with “good” measurements, so I’d be curious to hear everyone’s thoughts.
  • I’ve been impressed with the imaging and bass (though it was quite boomy without room correction applied).
  • Measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
JBL Stage A170
  • They have excellent bass and do especially well during movie playback
  • I think imaging & treble is lacking compared to the Uni-Fi

Are there other floor-standing speakers with good measurements that would fit my needs? I've come across these two:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Maybe add refurb jbl 580's if you like compression drivers? $350 each right now. I use them for LRC. The larger JBL 590 goes on sale every 2 months or so.

Don't buy them (the 590 series) if you have dogs around ... issue of forward stability :eek:

OP
Aprude51

Aprude51

Maybe add refurb jbl 580's if you like compression drivers? $350 each right now. I use them for LRC. The larger JBL 590 goes on sale every 2 months or so.

That is a good suggestion. I had considered them, but decided they weren’t a good fit for me. The design is obviously a case of form following function, which I do appreciate, but I just can’t stomach their overall appearance. Out of curiosity, are you aware of any measurements of any speakers from the JBL “Studio” series?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
KEF Q750 US list is $1500, pair, but factory refurbished are $1000 per pair.

OP
Aprude51

Aprude51

headshake

I just can’t stomach their overall appearance.
Yeah, they have a look for sure. They look like LEGO Daleks if you know Doctor Who. I always wanted a compression driver. Horns and drums sound so lovely.

Here is a 590 with measurements before and after Dirac:
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/a...ent-tower-speakers-1200-or-less-results.1640/

Best of luck with the hunt! (edit oh, someone shared this-ha!)

I don’t think any of those speakers compare to the measured performance a pair of used Revel F206es
I think if I had to go at it again, it is hard to find fault with all things Revel.

Totoro

Thanks for sharing that link. I am familiar with that roundup, which is one of the better ones out there. That said, at $2k, I don’t think any of those speakers compare to the measured performance a pair of used Revel F206es. I also think the Elac Uni-Fi compares favorably to most of them at a significantly lower price, though I would be curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on that.
For 2k what about a pair of these? https://www.jbl.com/studio-monitors...Gcp6meFdGYgwfPXmDhUYF9JaaDp92ReRoCY3kQAvD_BwE

BillG

Major Contributor
That said, at $2k, I don’t think any of those speakers compare to the measured performance a pair of used Revel F206es.

You're welcome. I'd be partial to the Revel's as well, seeing as I've a good deal of confidence in the Harmon Group's technology. Another I was going to suggest, again from the Harmon Group, would be the following - they're ~$1,100USD. However, they might be a little hard to find as the line has been discontinued:

https://hometheaterreview.com/measurements-i-also-did-full/

I happen to own some bookselves from the series, the 162's, and I'm very satisfied with them.

By the way, I noticed the review mentioned a lack of bass: The 162's use the same woofer as the R263's, but only one instead of two like the latter. I'm not lacking in bass; it's tight, present, clean, and noticeable in my body when playing bass heavy content. As a matter of fact, I can switch off my subwoofer, and still have a very satisfying listening experience... :cool:

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Save up and stretch your budget to get the Revel... way better. You can also do the aforementioned Jbl 590. You just missed the sale. But they go on sale 40-50% off a few times a year. Free shipping in the USA via pallet.

Top Bottom