• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker background sound changing based on what the pc is currently doing

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys where completely right :D
I've just connected once more the monitors to the interface using the balanced "XLR<->TRS" I own and that completely muted Dota :D
It's settled, I need all balanced cables. The only problem is that I have an SVS SB1000 pro, and that only has RCA input/output... so I need two pairs of balanced "TRS<->RCA" to hook from the interface to the sub, and from the sub to the monitors.
Do they sell this cables? I thought everything involving RCA was unbalanced...
That will give you an unbalanced connection to the speakers again. The connetor adapters just route an unbalanced signal through TRS/XLR connections.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That will give you an unbalanced connection to the speakers again. The connetor adapters just route an unbalanced signal through TRS/XLR connections.
To solve that you will need active balanced to unbalanced and unbalanced to balanced converters at the input and output of the sub. They are either expensive, or DIY adaptations needing you to mess about integrating module PCB's with power supplies.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

Groundloop.

This was mentioned several time, but I don't understand the meaning of it x_x (honestly, I suspect I wouldn't understand it even if it was explained because I have 0 knowledge on electricity related stuff or even the meaning of "ground" in that context)

What would be the conveninent solution for me? I don't want the DIY solution because I don't have that kind of skill and likely I would set the house on fire, at the same time I don't have crazy budgets... there is a way for me to solve the problem with a 100€ budget?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
But yes - the USB power ground forms part of the ground loop. If you can get a usb isolator that fully isolates the USB(Data and power) then that will solve the problem - but they are expensive.
Given the UMC22's limited channel count and sample rate it may be fine with a full speed USB isolator which would be much cheaper.
edit: cheaper as in ~€20 for something based on the ADuM4160. https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-ISO/ for example, or the Nobsound one archimago tested.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
What would be the conveninent solution for me? I don't want the DIY solution because I don't have that kind of skill and likely I would set the house on fire, at the same time I don't have crazy budgets... there is a way for me to solve the problem with a 100€ budget?

This

or something similar. However, I cannot guarantee it would work with your soundcard. In my case, it works with 3 from 5 soundcards I have here.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

It is normally much cheaper to set up an optical connection to your dac. Even buying a dac with toslink input, if yours doesn't have one, is probably cheeaper than an effective USB isolator.
Is it a problem if my mobo doesn't have that toslink port? I mean, is it essential for this to work, or would a good external USB DAC solve the issue?
:rolleyes:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The good thing about toslink is that it gives perfect galvanic isolation. You want either that (isolation) or some other way of minimizing/eliminating the ground loop. Getting another USB DAC won't guarantee that.

The one linked by you guys works with 12Mbps, so... this gives me some doubts :S

12Mbps is fine for sensible bit depths and sample rates. 480 Mbps is only needed if you believe higher numbers equate better sound. One of the many nonsensical things in audiophilia is a constant push for ridiculous sample rates and pointless bit depths that give "benefits" that no mortal human hearing could ever dream of actually experiencing.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This

or something similar. However, I cannot guarantee it would work with your soundcard. In my case, it works with 3 from 5 soundcards I have here.

he data lines are alway isolated but the power supply lines from the external power supply are not isolated from the USB_HOST connector

I read this as suggesting only the data lines are isolated and the PSU lines are not. If that is correct then it won't help for ground loop problems.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

I see, so I need to change the mobo to have a toslink port and then an external DAC... probably it will cost around 350€ (assuming it will not force me to change CPU for compatibility issues)
I'll start saving money then, and I'll be back once I've reached that sum
Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
No need to replace the mobo.

A cheap USB-to-toslink bridge should do the trick.

If you want a superb DAC and a display that shows the sample rate as a bonus, the Topping D10s can do that for you:

There's also this:

Last edited:
OP
M

Marcus Aseth

A cheap USB-to-toslink bridge should do the trick.
I'm not finding any on amazon, can you guys recommend one I can find inside Europe?

Regarding the DAC, I think for me the only two essential feature (aside from very good sound) is for it to be able to handle +4dBv and for it to have a volume knob, which is the only reason for which I bought the UMC-22 interface, just to control the speakers without having to use a slider inside of Windows.
If I buy a DAC with that knob, I can get rid of the UMC-22, right? Is not doing anything else for my audio, correct?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I read this as suggesting only the data lines are isolated and the PSU lines are not. If that is correct then it won't help for ground loop problems.
I think you're getting the ports the wrong way round, and being too selective in your quote. The lines before and after make me pretty sure that both power and data on the computer are isolated from the device, and from the external PSU if you need one.
  • USB_DEVICE connector- which is USB-B type and have to be connected to the PC USB host.
  • USB_HOST connector which is USB-A type and have to be connected to the USB device like USB equipment, audio equippment, development board, programmer, debugger etc
  • DC-DC converter supplies isolated voltage to the USB_HOST from the USB_DEVICE if no external power supply is present
  • Power jack for external power supply +8-15VDC, note the data lines are alway isolated but the power supply lines from the external power supply are not isolated from the USB_HOST connector (the personal computer is always protected; the power supply and the device connected to the USB_HOST might influnce each other in case of fault)
The one linked by you guys works with 12Mbps, so... this gives me some doubts :S
12Mbps is enough for stereo 24 bit 96 kHz while the UMC-22 only does 48kHz. I can't guarantee it'll work but there's a pretty good chance.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

while the UMC-22 only does 48kHz.
is the UMC limiting the quality of my audio on a level I could notice?
For me these currently are only numbers with no meaning, but one would be able to clearly notice the difference between 24 bit 48 and 96kHz on the speakers/sub I have?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me these currently are only numbers with no meaning, but one would be able to clearly notice the difference between 24 bit 48 and 96kHz on the speakers/sub I have?
No, 48kHz already gives a 24kHz bandwidth which is more than the human ear can hear.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

I've viewed the 2 DAC suggested above, but I've noticed they don't have the toslink port, so I would prefer to go with the safe bet and the least parts, a DAC that has it by design.
I was considering the Schiit Modi 3+ https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1 what do you guys think about it?
It also has the option of the USB-C which I can connect to my current mobo, so maybe it's worth a try to see if the DAC alone solves my problem, might turn out that I don't need a toslink connection after all, right?

I was thinking I could pair it with the Magni https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 so I still have my volume knob, but I also gain the ability to "expand" into a pair of headphones in the future :)
The few things I'm unsure about the Magni are:
1) it is connected after the Dac, right?
2) can I still send its output to my Subwoofer ? Essentially it will replace the UMC-22, right?
3) I was currently using "TRS <-> RCA" cables but the magni will have me using "RCA<->RCA" cables to hook to the subwoofer, will that decrease the sound quality?
4) will I still be able to hook from the subwoofer to the "TRS +4dBv" port in the Kali, or is that something that was enabled by the fact I use the UMC-22 ?

5)does this setup allows me to get the best the Kali LP6 and SVS SB1000pro have to offer? Does it makes them justice?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I doubt it. You may not have realized, but the Kalis have a DSP crossover so they'll be converting from analog to digital and back, probably at 48kHz. I wish we had some measurements of the internals from some well regarded speakers like these as I think they would give some valuable perspective when we're looking at standalone DAC and amp measurements. A bit of EQ will make more difference to the sound than changing the DAC.

OP
M

Marcus Aseth

I A bit of EQ will make more difference to the sound than changing the DAC.
I will get there, after I fix my background noise situation, the next step is a measuring mic with REW :D
(I've already treated my room in a DIY manner)
Probably not many gamers go to this length for the sound xD

pma

Major Contributor

No, your assumption and intetpretation is wrong. The unit gives 1000V isolation if supplied from PC USB port. Only if you use external DC source then this one is not isolated. Checked, measured.

Top Bottom