• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker amplifier vs power amplifier

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are power amplifiers being called speaker amplifier? And, what is the difference from just amplifier?

Classed as amplifier

Classed as speaker amplifier

What is the difference?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard the term speaker amplifier particularly. Many folks call an avr an amp, or an integrated amp an amp both of which have always bugged me. Plain old amp I take normally to mean power amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaker amp is generally used to distinguish from headphone amp.

So you could have an integreated speaker amp. Or a power speaker amp.

You can have a headphone amp, or a headphone dac/amp.

These seem to be the most common terminology uses to me. But they are pretty informal/not cast in concrete.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Same thing... An amplifier to drive a speaker.

"Power amplifier" is the more common terminology. It's not a preamp or a headphone amp.

A amplifier for radio transmitter could also be called a power amplifier but in the audio/hi-fi world we know what we are talking about.

...Sometimes I'll say "speaker amplifier" if the person I'm talking to doesn't know much about audio and may not know the terminology.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard the term speaker amplifier particularly. Many folks call an avr an amp, or an integrated amp an amp both of which have always bugged me. Plain old amp I take normally to mean power amp.
Visit the review index here on ASR and you see this.

1680384074952.png

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaker amp is generally used to distinguish from headphone amp.

So you could have an integreated speaker amp. Or a power speaker amp.

You can have a headphone amp, or a headphone dac/amp.

These seem to be the most common terminology uses to me. But they are pretty informal/not cast in concrete.
Then what do just amplifier describe?

1680384151184.png

as there is a separate Headphone amplifiers category...

1680384211338.png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amplifier can technically be any type of amplifier, RF, Microwave etc. Speaker amplifier, is more precise in that power amplifier is specified to be an audio power amp designed to drive loudspeakers.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amplifier can technically be any type of amplifier, RF, Microwave etc. Speaker amplifier, is more precise term in that is specified the amplifier as audio power amp designed to drive loudspeakers.
Couldn't integrated amplifier, which is one of the categories, be confused similarly? Not to mention that we are using those names on an audio related forum.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Power amplifier can technically be any type of amplifier, RF, Microwave etc. Speaker amplifier, is more precise term in that is specified the amplifier as audio power amp designed to drive loudspeakers.
In an audio forum I think RF and microwave can safely be counted out :)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't integrated amplifier, which is one of the categories, be confused similarly? Not to mention that we are using those names on an audio related forum.
An integrated amp is called as such as the pre-amp and power amp would be integrated in the same device.

Why some reviews say speaker amp and some just amp in the index, I do not know.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at Aiyima products as example, seems like indeed integrated amplifiers are listed as Amplifiers and power amps as Speaker Amplifier.
Here is the list of the amplifier categories used to classify reviews. I have only listed the types that drives speakers. I understand the car and DSP qualifier but for the life of me cannot understand the difference between the top two. And, there you are saying that even the integrated amplifier is confusing.

Amplifier27
Speaker Amplifier82
Speaker Amplifier (DSP)8
Car Speaker Amp10
Integrated Amp65

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the list of the amplifier categories used to classify reviews. I have only listed the types that drives speakers. I understand the car and DSP qualifier but for the life of me cannot understand the difference between the top two. And, there you are saying that even the integrated amplifier is confusing.

Amplifier27
Speaker Amplifier82
Speaker Amplifier (DSP)8
Car Speaker Amp10
Integrated Amp65
Yeah, I looked at a few more products, Aiyima based theory did not hold. I am not sure why there is an amplifier and a separate speaker amplifier category.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I looked at a few more products, Aiyima based theory did not hold. I am not sure why there is an amplifier and a separate speaker amplifier category.
I'm guessing because reviews have been categorised over a period of about 5 years or more, and the categories have shifted during that time.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing because reviews have been categorised over a period of about 5 years or more, and the categories have shifted during that time.
Can that also mean someone decided to change the century old term power amplifier to speaker amplifier and was not challenged?

Does anyone know what member(s) is in change of curating the reviews?

MAB

Major Contributor
Can that also mean someone decided to change the century old term power amplifier to speaker amplifier and was not challenged?

Does anyone know what member(s) is in change of curating the reviews?
Perhaps you now!

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom