• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker advice for a novice

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
@NorthSky Thanks for the suggestion again. No, I'm not a musician.

Gearslutz is a good site, for pro and amateur musicians/singers/artists, for pro recording and amateur recording engineers, for audiophiles and music lovers and songwriters and music composers and for pro gear recommendation, used market, all that audio/music jazz. Active pro monitors are part of their repertoire/expertise. ...And much much more...too many guitars not enough time.

Monk

Wow...heck of a question...I've designed and built speaker boxes for decades...large to small...I always suggest start off with something that has a high SPL..(>90) as this will take less wattage to drive...smaller amp. I just auditioned a pair of BIC H-65B ($119 ea).....the high SPL grabbed me...96. I drove them with a 1976 Kenwood amp that's 13 W @ channel...Sounded very good. These would need a sub-woof. With your room arrangement putting the speaks "up" will work the best. Cheers

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Funny you should mention. Overwhelmed by options, I placed an order for JBL 305. But I'll slowly audition other speakers; that's the only way to know what's going to work for me.

Love my JBL 305's (gen 1); they're the best garage gym speakers I've ever heard.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Funny you should mention. Overwhelmed by options, I placed an order for JBL 305. But I'll slowly audition other speakers; that's the only way to know what's going to work for me.

How are they?

(assuming you received them and have had a little listening time)

Top Bottom