• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPDIF (rca) and DAC question

CharlesC

Do modern DACs typically reclock RCA SPDIF signals or is the source clock still the boss? Thanks.

gvl

Major Contributor
Do modern DACs typically reclock RCA SPDIF signals or is the source clock still the boss? Thanks.

Depends. Some do, others don't. ESS DAC chips have internal reclocking. SPDIF receivers have come long way from the 90s, so much of the jitter can be controlled by PLL even if there is no special reclocking solution onboard.

OP
C

CharlesC

Thanks for the reply! So with an ESS ( I have a D50S) is the quality of the SPDIF source significant? Would a iNode sound as good as a DigiOne Signature? Thanks again.

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply! So with an ESS ( I have a D50S) is the quality of the SPDIF source significant? Would a iNode sound as good as a DigiOne Signature? Thanks again.

I would think you shouldn't worry about any external jitter with the D50s, as long as it is able to lock you should be good.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A lot of pro equipment has the option of using the S/PDIF stream for clocking to maintain synchronization across multiple devices (e.g. recorders). But most will buffer it, or have the option to buffer it, to clean it up a bit especially if synchronization is not critical. For consumer systems, with almost zero research, again some do and some don't. Most all are asynchronous on the USB side and generate their own clock, but it is not clear to me after a ten-second look at some spec sheets what they do on the S/PDIF side. Several years ago I looked at the datasheet for a S/PDIF chip that included internal CDR (clock and data recovery) that pretty well isolated the DAC inside from the external bit stream but I have no idea if they all do that.

In any event, clocks are generally pretty clean, and you are unlikely to hear audible degradation unless it (jitter or clock wander) is really bad.

Which is a long way of saying "I don't know", sorry... - Don

Top Bottom