• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPDIF Optical Cables, can they perform different?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I've had a Gator Cable that didn't work at all with a certain player, had issues with it in the past about not getting it to sit flush with the connection so I just trashed it.

I also had a cheap ebay cable one time that wouldn't come out of an AVR. When I I finally replaced that AVR i yanked it out not really caring if something would break.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not sure how much the the error correction kicks in with plastic optical

Only if there are errors, and the protocol being transmitted includes error correcting data.

I don't think S/PDIF over TOSLink provides that facility.

way back when many at Stereophile folks stated that they perceived a difference for the better with glass optical cables.

Yeah... maybe...

Got a link?

gfx_1

I hade some 3m optical cables from a chinese supplier they looked nice fitted nicely in the computer and the dac but after a whille they became less translucent either by moving (bending) them around to much behind the desk or a manufacturing issue.
Got a 4 euro replacement and it still works. In the past i used coax from the pc to the receiver in the livingroom consisting of multiple cheap interlinks connected and the bits still arrived at the end.

Top Bottom