• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

spdif/coax with 110 ohm cable?

Ride154

Hi,

I have a question for the cable experts.
In my previous house I had 3 hypex plate amps daisy chained with spdif/coax cables.
The spdif/coax transferred the music signal with signals for on/standby and volume.
Worked great.
In my new house I wanted to use aes cable because the distance between the amps was bigger.
And thinking that was the same digital signal From the amp.
But after testing yesterday and first soldering 5 xlr’s on the cables, I realized that there was a signal for music but no signals for volume and on/standby.
Hypex confirmed these signals only go through the spdif/coax cable.
But I already have the 110 ohm cables in the floor of my new house.
Yes … I know … l’m stupid for not asking first.
So now I would like to know, can I solder rca’s on the 110 ohm cable to use it as spdif/coax?

Thx in advance.
Greetings from Zandvoort, NL, EU
Menno

Speedskater

Major Contributor
For short cables, SPDIF doesn't really need a 75 Ohm cable. But as cables get longer, there are more challenges. (I would guess 20 to 25 feet might be the limit)
What would work better is: use one center conductor and the shield of your cable.

clearnfc

Do you have any specs of the 110ohm cable?? But is it normal coaxial cable?? If so, yes you can give it a try.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I have a question for the cable experts.
In my previous house I had 3 hypex plate amps daisy chained with spdif/coax cables.
The spdif/coax transferred the music signal with signals for on/standby and volume.
Worked great.
In my new house I wanted to use aes cable because the distance between the amps was bigger.
And thinking that was the same digital signal From the amp.
But after testing yesterday and first soldering 5 xlr’s on the cables, I realized that there was a signal for music but no signals for volume and on/standby.
Hypex confirmed these signals only go through the spdif/coax cable.
But I already have the 110 ohm cables in the floor of my new house.
Yes … I know … l’m stupid for not asking first.
So now I would like to know, can I solder rca’s on the 110 ohm cable to use it as spdif/coax?

Thx in advance.
Greetings from Zandvoort, NL, EU
Menno
You can purchase 75Ω to 110Ω transformers. Most are BNC to XLR but look around on the web you might find other options.

OP
R

Ride154

Do you have any specs of the 110ohm cable?? But is it normal coaxial cable?? If so, yes you can give it a try.

this is the cable that’s in my floor

OP
R

Ride154

For short cables, SPDIF doesn't really need a 75 Ohm cable. But as cables get longer, there are more challenges. (I would guess 20 to 25 feet might be the limit)
What would work better is: use one center conductor and the shield of your cable.
So I could twist the red and white together and use the shield as ground?

clearnfc

So I could twist the red and white together and use the shield as ground?

No. Dont do that. What you should do is use red for signal. Then put white as ground. You can also connect drain/shield to white.

The main purpose of red/white twisted pair is for noise rejection.

Btw a common practice is to connect drain/shield to 1 side (usually source) only.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Once again:
Just use the Red. let the White float at both ends.
Connect the shield at both ends.

Just try it.
Then and only then if it doesn't work, maybe transformers.
Btw a common practice is to connect drain/shield to 1 side (usually source) only.
That's for balanced interconnect systems, this is an unbalanced interconnect system.

OP
R

Ride154

Once again:
Just use the Red. let the White float at both ends.
Connect the shield at both ends.

Just try it.
Then and only then if it doesn't work, maybe transformers.

That's for balanced interconnect systems, this is an unbalanced interconnect system.
Great, I’ll order some new plugs and try it next week. I’ll report back in for progress. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom