• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spatial effects in headphones and IEMs, and the difficulty measuring it

Madlop26

I have been thinking spatial effects in headphones and IEMs, and the difficulty measuring it. Humans are able localize sound by triangulation ( little time difference of a particular sound arriving to each ear) but that is not quite enough, it also needs change in ears position relative to the axis of the sound of origin, as 2 different sounds at 90 degree angle will arrive to both ears about the same time, so moving your ears will change the timings and localization is improved. Now how have we managed to improved electronic sound spatial effect, simply by increasing the number of speakers (AVR systems) Now the question rises, is it even physically posible to recreate a 360 degree 3 axis sound experience with only 2 sound sources like a headphone?. Probably yes, But needs new technology and software like Apple is going for, and the you will have to learn to listen to your music moving your head, lol.
Anyway, As far I can tell current headphones can cover only one axis, the horizontal axis between your ears, that’s about it, and not able to cover the other 2 axis that is needed for full natural spatial effect. I have several headphones including the HD800s most of the time, the spatial effect is in the mentioned horizontal axis, but occasionally I can hear some sounds coming from other levels, but then I think how is even physical possible? or is just my brain misinterpreting a particular sound event, but still in general and humble experience the spatial effects of headphones are just limited to that one single horizontal axis. The fact headphones are better than IEM for spatial effect makes me think is due cup resonance amplifying the arriving timing differences to both ears. If that is the case there must be a way to measure that. I trust the genius the field will find a way to reliable measure that. Again I am not an expert in this field just an enthusiast and many of you may correct me in my conclusion, looking forward to continue learning

UltraNearFieldJock

I found this thread by searching for "spatial effects" - the topic that interested me the most. I constantly make experiments with the best placement of speakers in my UNF setups - for "best spatial effects". But I can't measure them only with REW and Umik-1. The only way is to listen and subjective evaluation?
As you write, one is perhaps sure: By standard stereo signal (not binaural) you need "little time difference of a particular (Channel L-R) sound arriving to each (L-R) ear". With headphones, it's only possible with a digital/electronic crossfeed, with UNF I can achieve this with a distance speaker-ear more than 10 cm - for an acoustical crossfeed.
We need here an expert, I'm also only an enthusiast and DIY-experimenter!

markanini

Major Contributor
The question is prone for confusion because,
  1. HRTF models used in the spatial audio
  2. Incidental spatial qualities of stereo recordings
  3. Reproduction quality of IEMs

are all separate issues.

Top Bottom