• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spatial Audio Thoughts?

rxp

I've been using Implucifer for a while and have been amazed by the results. Synthetic HRTF solutions haven't come close and it's a marvel to hear your speakers in your headphones.

Recently started using Apple's spatial audio in my Apple TV. It has full head tracking and Atmos support. The results are quite astounding to me, for a generic HRTF it's by far the best I've ever heard and the head tracking is by far the best implementation I've ever tried (including Waves, Audeze Mobius etc.). I guess the old papers from the 90s on the importance of headtracking were true - it can take a generic HRTF and really give you an out of your head feel. I find with the Air Pods Pro's on transparency mode it feels even more real because you just don't feel like anything's in your ears.

I'm also excited at the full potential of properly mixed X,Y,Z Atmos tracks. You can render sound at any point in space with headphones, unlike real speakers. I think my current set of speakers is the last I'll ever buy - this is the future for me. The only downside vs Impulficer or the Smyth Realizer type solutions is the lack of second output to drive a bass transducer. I'd love to be able to do that

Top Bottom