• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Source computer's HUGE effect on fidelity

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^ You can avoid all that dust accumulation with a fanless chassis like my Surface Pro 2017 model. If you like OS X, MacBook Air is fanless and therefore won't have this problem

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many Apple products thermal throttle straight from the factory. ;)

https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/04/what-is-macbook-thermal-throttling/

It's quite obvious that putting a high powered intel chip on a gimped heat pipes results to that. Apple should just stick putting 7.5W TDP chips on those chassis rather than the 28 - 45 W TDP chips that throttles slower than those 7.5 W chips at full blast. My 3 year old fanless dual core Surface pro still cools very efficiently for a thin slab of heat pipe and the chassis.

Untitled.png

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Apple should just stick putting 7.5W TDP chips on those chassis rather than the 28 - 45 W TDP chips that throttles slower than those 7.5 W chips at full blast.

They should, but for marketing, an 8 core, 16 thread 5.0GHz processor, sounds much more impressive, even if it will never run at 5.0GHz and will only perform like a much lower specified, lower priced CPU. :rolleyes:

Nicolaas

You're very welcome.

Apologies if you know all about this already, but something else you can look at is your temperatures: http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/

Modern CPUs will boost to higher clock speeds if they are kept cool enough. Conversely, if they are too hot they will thermal throttle and reduce their clock speeds and lower the overall performance of the PC or laptop.

Laptops have very compact coolers and are at a dissadvantage when compared to desktop PCs to start with, they are also prone to getting full of dust and fluff, which chokes off the airflow and makes then run hotter.

It your laptop is not too bad you could just give it a quick blast through the case vents with an air duster: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=air+duster&i=office-products&ref=nb_sb_noss. However, if it's really dirty and full of fluff and dust, you may want to open it up and clean it out more thoroughly with a brush, a small paint prush is ideal, and an air duster:

Indeed count Arthur. As a matter of fact I just cleaned the vents of my Vaio this morning with a vacuum cleaner and I do repeat that every few months.
When playing flac files with Audacious the 2 cores of my old Vaio do have temperatures from 45 to 48 degrees C with CPU load of 10 to 20 percent. My new SSD has a temperature of 35 to 38 degrees C. Not too bad for 13 years old hardware but these low temperatures would not be possible with Windows...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
However, if it's really dirty and full of fluff and dust, you may want to open it up and clean it out more thoroughly with a brush, a small paint prush is ideal, and an air duster:
I wish I could clean it out with a brush. Many of the new laptops don't have screws holding them together and are apparently are a snap together clam shell arrangement.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed count Arthur. As a matter of fact I just cleaned the vents of my Vaio this morning with a vacuum cleaner and I do repeat that every few months.
When playing flac files with Audacious the 2 cores of my old Vaio do have temperatures from 45 to 48 degrees C with CPU load of 10 to 20 percent. My new SSD has a temperature of 35 to 38 degrees C. Not too bad for 13 years old hardware but these low temperatures would not be possible with Windows...
The vacuum cleaner wand is a static electricity discharge danger zone. Do not use a non-ESD safe vacuum cleaner on your electronics especially a PC or laptop. It is very dangerous with all that static electricity coming out of the vacuum cleaner and also at the wand tip.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I wish I could clean it out with a brush. Many of the new laptops don't have screws holding them together and are apparently are a snap together clam shell arrangement.

It really annoys me how many products are snap together these days.

However, check out iFixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Prying_and_Opening?display=list#

They make a whole bunch of tools for getting into electronics products, including driver sets and bits for those odd proprietry fasteners that companies like Apple like to use to prevent you fixing your own stuff.

Nicolaas

The vacuum cleaner wand is a static electricity discharge danger zone. Do not use a non-ESD safe vacuum cleaner on your electronics especially a PC or laptop. It is very dangerous with all that static electricity coming out of the vacuum cleaner and also at the wand tip.
Good point. Of course I only use the vacuum cleaner on the external vents of the metal cabinet. Up to now my Vaio is 13 years old and hope to get another few years with the new SSD drive. Not too bad but possibly I was lucky. Maybe I should ground earth the vac tip with a high resistance electrostatic discharge cable...

Top Bottom