• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundstage

batfunk

A newbie question: in some tracks, I hear left and right sounds on the same horizontal line as my listening seat(I'm 2m away from front speakers). Sometimes, music seems to fulfill the room too. Is it intended by music engineer or is it the result of random room reflections?
In a word, could I include soundstage perception to judge the quality of production(with others criteria of course)?

I use room correction(Arc). Thanks!

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding Geddes and his 10ms threshold, I'm less convinced. I'm not sure to which listening studies Geddes refers when he singles out 10ms as a relevant threshold. I'm not aware of any studies suggesting any relevant distinction between pre- and post-10ms arrivals.

I realise that Geddes system design is based on this 10ms rule, which is why he calls for speakers to placed such that they do not produce first reflections off adjacent walls. I'm just not aware of any underlying psychoacoustic research for this position - perhaps you can direct me to something?

I finally stumbled across where Earl got his 10 milliseconds from.

Briefly, David Griesinger finds the ear to be especially sensitive to aberrations between 700 Hz and 7 kHz, and the mechanism by which the cochlea perceives sounds within this region implies that "you need a 10 millisecond reflection-free window if you want no coloration or imaging effects.”

The video should be cued up to where he gets started on the background information at 2:19, and then he's done with the explanation by about 7:00:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
This video is very illuminating:

there is a very intresting part at
where he shows "hard panned" by amplitude and time diference. the image moves verticaly. He says he will talk about that in a feautre video, but part 5 of his videos is missing

dasdoing

Major Contributor
And 9m24s I very intresting, too.
when I hear this part using my 2 binaural virtualizations I used in the other topic about treatment I hear this part clearly in the left in the treated virtualization, and "pull apart in space", how he calls it in the untreated virtualization

Top Bottom