• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Soundstage tracks" (for headphone listening)

Propheticus

Had one of those "was it some noise from my real surroundings or was that featured in the song?"

Around the 1:55 mark of 'Donald Fagan - Mary Shut the Garden Door' there's a bell ringing sound in the far left rear.
This location corresponds to where I'd hear the doorbell come from... Almost fooled me.

Kyron

Post songs you think have that "soundstage" feel while enjoying on headphones.
"Natural" tracks recorded in spaces from smaller chambers to big churches that retain its "spatial sound" also when reproduced on headphones.
Or "synthetic" tracks that was intentionally manipulated (post recording) and/or enhanced with sound effects to "fool" our brain.
[partial encouragement for this thread was also post #38 by @Tks ]

There is also one category of songs that are not spatial as a whole but feature particular sound(s) with "distant" feel. You know those kind of moments I hope more of you headphone enthusiasts experienced - you listen to "just some new music" and then all of a sudden some specific sound appears "so distant/out of head" in some particular track that you find yourself almost disturbed - "was it some noise from my real surroundings or was that featured in the song? [I was also thinking about making a separate thread for these tracks but I don't want to be accused of forum flooding.. so maybe let me know your opinion]

PS: if you embed media, always write artist/title in plain text as well
Virtual haircut. Not actually a song about very interesting soundstage. Try not to laugh near the end.

Kyron

Absolutely brilliant. I'm going to have to add this to my repertoire of test tracks.
I bought some headphones on sale for $15 at Officeworks which I EQed as I usually do. This track validates that I got the EQ pretty right.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe Yosi Horikawa?
Bubbles:

Letter:

Kyron

Post songs you think have that "soundstage" feel while enjoying on headphones.
"Natural" tracks recorded in spaces from smaller chambers to big churches that retain its "spatial sound" also when reproduced on headphones.
Or "synthetic" tracks that was intentionally manipulated (post recording) and/or enhanced with sound effects to "fool" our brain.
[partial encouragement for this thread was also post #38 by @Tks ]

There is also one category of songs that are not spatial as a whole but feature particular sound(s) with "distant" feel. You know those kind of moments I hope more of you headphone enthusiasts experienced - you listen to "just some new music" and then all of a sudden some specific sound appears "so distant/out of head" in some particular track that you find yourself almost disturbed - "was it some noise from my real surroundings or was that featured in the song? [I was also thinking about making a separate thread for these tracks but I don't want to be accused of forum flooding.. so maybe let me know your opinion]

PS: if you embed media, always write artist/title in plain text as well

drallim

This weird recording sounds flat through speakers but in headphones sounds completely different, like you're inside it somehow. Maybe it was a stereo microphone sitting backstage or something.

Top Bottom