• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundstage Pull and Disparate Phase Measurements

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Here's one example where an obvious amplitude difference in the bass causes a shift away from center and towards one channel in particular -- male vocals and bass instruments mostly.

Left and Right speaker ~2.2m away at my couch MLP
1643525830775.gif

With a few simple minimum phase PEQs the "bass-drift"towards the right channel is pretty much all but fixed. It also happens to be enough in this case to fix the small phase difference caused by the room and not-so-good positioning.

1643526056577.gif

In the case of the OP, there isn't really much of a huge amplitude level or timing difference way before applying EQ. And he is also using Audiolense to boot... so I'd expect the DSP EQ applied to be even more "accurate" than can be done by PEQs created semi-manually with REW.

OP
M

mrlawng9

To clarify, the measurements provided were not using audiolense, they were raw as-found measurements of the D&D 8C system. I had not employed any EQ either.

To answer Amir's question, I can validate because 1) I use music I'm very familiar with where I know vocals are meant to be centered as well as TV newscasts where the anchor is meant to be centered, but 2) I use familiar headphones as a point of reference as well.

OP
M

mrlawng9

Would anyone happen to have any acoustic consultant recommendations in the Seattle, WA area?

Top Bottom