• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sounds the size of Wales

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many posters on this forum and elsewhere state that that their rooms are small, medium or large.

Is there a standard measure that I have missed, or should one now be created? And how many sheds would that make?

(For those that don't know, in the UK the size of Wales is commonly used as unit of area, as a fridge is used for satellites' dimensions and Olympic swimming pools for liquid mass.)

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd rather visit Wales the next time rather than the area surrounding London fwiw. I hear you have some decent mountain biking out there mostly :)
I'd do a Scotland tour for single malt first either way :)

Only room size standard I can think of off hand is Audioholic's sub room size thing https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

Generally most "home" rooms are considered small in the acoustic sense....

OP
E

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd rather visit Wales the next time rather than the area surrounding London fwiw. I hear you have some decent mountain biking out there mostly :)
I'd do a Scotland tour for single malt first either way :)

Only room size standard I can think of off hand is Audioholic's sub room size thing https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size

Generally most "home" rooms are considered small in the acoustic sense....

I wonder how many single malts make a room sound good? That could be another metric, and one that I would enthusiastically calibrate!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same question. Not knowing if my room is moderately large, large or small. I know people who have listening rooms that put mine in each category. By reputation England has smaller rooms on average, but I don't know that to actually be true. I could give my feeling for size categories, but it would just be another variation of what is common where I live without knowledge of how it is elsewhere.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
(For those that don't know, in the UK the size of Wales is commonly used as unit of area, as a fridge is used for satellites' dimensions and Olympic swimming pools for liquid mass.)

oh, i thought it had something to do with whales....

apraJmWP_700w_0.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom