• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SounDigital SD 600.1D Nano Car Amplifier

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a Brazilian company. I expected a lot better from SounDigital... :rolleyes:

@amirm could you please test this at 50 Hz, where it is intended to work, powering a subwoofer?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Alpine PDX F4 that I haven't used in forever. I should box it up and send it in...
Please do! I use an Alpine PDX-V9 every day, they should be similar. I am curious how it measures.

V9 specs are promising:

• THD+N (10W into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: <0.005 %
  • THD+N (10W into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: <0.006 %
  • THD+N (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: <0.03 %
  • THD+N (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: <0.05 %
  • Damping Factor for CH-1/2/3/4: >500 into 4 ohms at 100Hz
  • Damping Factor for Subwoofer: >1000 into 4 ohms at 100Hz
  • Signal to Noise (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: 112 dB
  • Signal to Noise (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: 119 dB
  • Weight: 2.7 kg

SplitTime

Forum Donor
http://www.milbert.com/bam235ab
Be nice if someone could send one of these to Amir.

There were so many good bits on the milbert web site - but I really appreciated this one...

<quote>
What's the rating?
30 Watts per channel, 20 Hz -- 20 kHz, -3 dB, 3% THD Some owners have reported that the BaM-235ab's "30 tube Watts sound much more powerful" than comparably-powered amps. This is often attributed to the soft-clipping nature inherent in its design. Unlike transistorized amps which smack and crackle with abrupt distortion, the BaM-235ab exhibits graceful, smooth overdrive into clipping.
<end quote>

Spec’d at 3% THD - just think how bad it might actually measure? Seems unlikely that noise would be high enough to even be much of a factor... or maybe it is that bad...

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There were so many good bits on the milbert web site - but I really appreciated this one...

<quote>
What's the rating?
30 Watts per channel, 20 Hz -- 20 kHz, -3 dB, 3% THD Some owners have reported that the BaM-235ab's "30 tube Watts sound much more powerful" than comparably-powered amps. This is often attributed to the soft-clipping nature inherent in its design. Unlike transistorized amps which smack and crackle with abrupt distortion, the BaM-235ab exhibits graceful, smooth overdrive into clipping.
<end quote>

Spec’d at 3% THD - just think how bad it might actually measure? Seems unlikely that noise would be high enough to even be much of a factor... or maybe it is that bad...

It's that old tube amp tech, working on the pleasing even order harmonics. It can certainly sound euphoric I suppose, but I'd rather hear my music as it was intended, and just let my listening room screw up the rest. ;)

There are actually a few solid state companies out there, literally injecting even order harmonics into their amp design. I believe NuPrime was one of them.

lszomb

Forum Donor
I appreciate Amirm's work. However, this is not eye opening as it was expected. I would say we should look at something else that has better hope to deliver good results. Our life is kind too short to waste on such crap.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
This is a Brazilian company. I expected a lot better from SounDigital... :rolleyes:

@amirm could you please test this at 50 Hz, where it is intended to work, powering a subwoofer?

I had to do a retake on this. I thought you wanted him to test this using AC power at 50Hz, such as the UK. Perhaps that would indeed improve performance after it catches fire. ;)

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I appreciate Amirm's work. However, this is not eye opening as it was expected. I would say we should look at something else that has better hope to deliver good results. Our life is kind too short to waste on such crap.
Well, we might strike gold someday...

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, 7000W PMPO! Is this the power it creates once in its life time when it goes up in fire? :D:D:D

tomtoo

Major Contributor
From the Company:
"..The customers’ satisfaction comes in first place, being constructed by relations based in Ethics, Transparency and Trust..."

Mhhhh? What's there THD? Something must be wrong.

KxDx

Please do! I use an Alpine PDX-V9 every day, they should be similar. I am curious how it measures.

V9 specs are promising:

• THD+N (10W into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: <0.005 %
  • THD+N (10W into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: <0.006 %
  • THD+N (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: <0.03 %
  • THD+N (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: <0.05 %
  • Damping Factor for CH-1/2/3/4: >500 into 4 ohms at 100Hz
  • Damping Factor for Subwoofer: >1000 into 4 ohms at 100Hz
  • Signal to Noise (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for CH-1/2/3/4: 112 dB
  • Signal to Noise (Rated Power into 4 Ohms) for Subwoofer: 119 dB
  • Weight: 2.7 kg
I've got it stacked with a PDX M6 in my trunk, which I do still use for sub duty (I just don't listen as loud in me car as I used to so the F4 hasnt been used in 3 or 4 years). When I get some time I will have to pull and separate them.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got it stacked with a PDX M6 in my trunk, which I do still use for sub duty (I just don't listen as loud in me car as I used to so the F4 hasnt been used in 3 or 4 years). When I get some time I will have to pull and separate them.
Here are specs from the Alpine PDX-F4, now discontinued, but should be the same for the 4 channels for the full range speakers of the PDX-V9, which is still current.

PDX-F4 4/3/2 Channel Power Amplifier

• CEA-2006 amplifier ratings: 100W RMS x 4 [4/2 ohm @ 14.4V ≤ 0.05% THD+N]
  • S/N ratio; 95 dB (ref: 1W into 4 ohm)
This THD+N at 5W about 0.003% SINAD 90 should put it in the green area of the best amplifiers. :)

PDX-F6 shown below.

RTEmagicC_pdx_10_Total-Harmonic-Distortion-Power.jpg

thd x freq.jpg

freq resp.jpg

Last edited:

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, 7000W PMPO! Is this the power it creates once in its life time when it goes up in fire? :D:D:D
That was entry level. Their discontinued model had specified 35 kW RMS!
https://soundigitalusa.com/products/35000-1d-power/

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Power @ 14.4V @ 1Ω: 1 x 35000 W RMS
Power @ 14.4V @ 2Ω: 1 x 19250 W RMS
Power @ 14.4V @ 4Ω: 1 x 10587 W RMS
THD + N (10% Rated Power): 0.3%
Frequency Response (+/- 3dB): 20 Hz – 18 kHz
Damping Factor: > 100
Max Current Draw: 2971 A

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor