• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SoundID Reference Measurement Procedure... Really?

1niltothe

Apologies if this is a discussion which has been had elsewhere. I will delete the post if so.

I just went through the calibration and measurement process on the latest SoundID Reference programme. I wanted to check:

-> the process which locates the microphone in 37 positions. The programme suggests I just hold the microphone. It seems very difficult to do this without my body affecting the measurement. In some cases my body came between the mic and L or R speaker. At the very least, holding the mic rather than using a stand seems likely to have effects, no?

-> the animated 'echo location' software which positions the microphone prior to each measurement. First, the CIA should use it to break prisoners instead of Deicide. Second, in some cases, the app would only accept the microphone position if I pointed it in some bizarre direction like at the back wall or whatever. Seems a bit messed up.

I just wondered whether other people had found ways to optimise the process, or does the sheer number of measurements mean such things don't matter?

my body came between the mic and L or R speaker.

What in the world? You're doing something wrong. You simply pivot around with the mic so it's always pointed straight from your perspective.

Second, in some cases, the app would only accept the microphone position if I pointed it in some bizarre direction like at the back wall or whatever. Seems a bit messed up.

This is because your room is too reflective or the placement algorithm is breaking down. This is when you go into Measure settings and use Signal B or C instead. It will change the chirping tone and can have a big difference. What you described so far sounds like you need to use a different signal. If at any time it's having you do weird stuff or can't detect where your microphone is, you have to change the signal type.

Top Bottom