• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundfield Audio & Suncoast Audiophile Society

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yesterday @RayDunzl and myself were guests of the Suncoast Audiophile Society's monthly meeting. At that meeting AJ of Soundfield Audio fame did a wonderful demonstration with two of his latest prototype speaker designs. Both are fully active designs incorporating plate amplification w/dsp, a direction he has taken with all his current work IIRC.
AJ appears a big fan of just a slight bit of added openness using a couple extra paths to enhance playback. Both speakers can optionally use switchable and level adjustable rear firing ambiance drivers.
Adding to the total demo package were a small set rear speakers using the old standby Logic 7 processing to add just a bit more ambiance. I'll admit to my own personal preference of using some rear enhancement during much of my home stereo playback. Thru-out the day, AJ would occasionally switch one or both of the ambiance paths on and off to highlight a point, or at a members request.

The first speakers up for demo were small stand mounted monitors with a waveguide tweeter and 8' woofer. I'll guess at the rooms dimensions of approximately 40 x 25, a bit large for such a small monitor unassisted by any subwoofer, but the speakers were able to deliver an amazing amount of quality bass into such a vast space. On the top, his choice of tweeter and crossover design was quite smooth sounding to my old ears. They had an impressive ability to totally disappear and created very wide and deep soundstaging with great focus when I took my turn in the sweet spot chair. With the rear drivers active, they added not so much as extra depth but more like turning on the air around the performers in the reproduced space.

The other speaker was a much more ambitious product, a floor standing four way with what appeared to be a open baffled 12" coaxial driver on top, 2 12" front firing cardioid mid-woofers on the bottom, and a large servo controlled rear firing subwoofer on the back. Now these guys could really push some db into that large space. They added that special dynamic impact that only designs capable of delivering large wavefronts of air can bring to the party. While playing some symphonic pieces I was immediately reminded of the power that a large orchestra can create when attending a live event. The smoothness in the treble range that greatly impressed me with the small monitors was again present in these larger boxes, seems to be a design quality that AJ puts a high priority on.

AJ played all the various types of music using both Tidal, his personal files on the hard drive, and a bunch of CD's (some provided by club members) as sources. Anything that the attendees requested was played and handled with aplomb by these reproducers. Up on the anti-shrine were just a couple small components, a Mytek Pre/DAC (Brooklyn I think) and a Emotiva Pre/DAC used alternately for various sources. A older Harman Kardon receiver was on hand to Logic 7 process and drive the rear surround speakers.

First I'd like to thank the members of the Suncoast Audiophile Society for the gracious invitation to their meeting. Pizza, snacks, and drinks were provided along with a genuine hospitality that made us both feel at home and welcome. If you live in or are visiting the south Tampa area and are interested the club can be contacted here,
https://www.meetup.com/Suncoast-Audiophile-Society/

Also a big thanks to AJ for contacting us and letting us know about his demo. Had one he-ll of a good time while listening to some great music on amazing sounding speaker systems. AJ can be contacted thru Soundfield Audios website here,
http://www.soundfieldaudio.net/

Sorry I didn't get any pictures, I'm no Amirm with a camera.
Maybe Ray has some further comments on the day and has a few photos to add.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
AH, we should have communicated, maybe the threads can be merged?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the report you two. Nice to live vicariously through others on these events. :).
Thanks Amir, I checked the details on the prototype speakers design and have made some edits to increase accuracy, always a bonus when you read ASR.
Also was able to obtain a few pictures for the thread.. That's my handsome self on the left in the front row. ;)
unnamed.jpg
unnamed1.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Where are the USB scrubbers / grounding devices / anti-noise gizmos?
LOL, Boy are you barking up the wrong tree with this guy. He takes his greatest pleasure in chopping off their heads. :D
(Edit; as do I, but he is eminently more skilled at it.)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are the USB scrubbers / grounding devices / anti-noise gizmos?

That is why Sal had the grumpy face. If these devices were in use, Sal would have been smiling, tapping his feet, really gettin' his groove on.

Maybe Sal and Ray should have put a disclaimer in AJ's presentation posts. No audiophools were harmed or (dis)abused during this demonstration.

fas42

Major Contributor
Where's a YouTube clip, right when you need one ... ?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That is why Sal had the grumpy face. If these devices were in use, Sal would have been smiling, tapping his feet, really gettin' his groove on.

Maybe Sal and Ray should have put a disclaimer in AJ's presentation posts. No audiophools were harmed or (dis)abused during this demonstration.
But they were...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
LOL, Boy are you barking up the wrong tree with this guy. He takes his greatest pleasure in chopping off their heads. :D
Not at all. The moment he got into selling speakers, he sold his soul just the same to do as Romans do at shows. Here is his post in stereophile comment section of his bits at AXPONA:

upload_2017-7-23_22-18-40.png

Here he is at RMAF 2014, pitching the Modwrite tube mods of Oppo player, "MG cables, etc."

upload_2017-7-23_22-22-45.png

Here is his bit from his facebook page on 2015 Axpona:

upload_2017-7-23_22-24-55.png

Belles Power Modules? Viero Cables?

Talk about joining the other side in a hurry the moment money was involved.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
When in Rome...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@Sal1950 you look mighty pissed off here mate, did that bloody AJ promise you bikini glad glamour girls were conducting the demo ??
IMG_1034.JPG

You got all front row on it but no girls in sight... bugger, what a load of bollocks .

Never mind.., you can always rely on your swimming pool back home to attract the odd beauty..,
IMG_0347.JPG

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Those two photographs they are just too disparate to sit alongside each other , one is really redolent of my life , unfortunately!
Keith

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom