• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SoundCloud To Direct Subscriber Fees Only To Artists That The Subscriber Listens To.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another interesting question this brings up: How do they distribute the money from a customer who didn't use the service for a whole month?

I have to assume these companies operate on more or less the same business model as gym memberships and continue charging a large number of customers who no longer use the service but have never got around to canceling it. I only use my Spotify subscription for discovering new artists and can easily go a month without using at all or only listening to a single album since I don't want to cancel and reactivate it all the time.

I guess Spotify is just pooling my money with everyone else's and paying it out based on percentage of total plays even though I didn't play anything that month.

Last edited:

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This was Vulfpeck's take on Spotify a few years earlier. Very funny. Read it all here.
And if you like madcap funk, Vulfpeck is a fantastic outfit. Fun-and-funk
They probably got 10% of all plays. Just the new version of top 40 radio stations.

Top Bottom