• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soundbars for music

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these part of the future for music for audio enthusiasts? I think it's been the case for a long time that the mainstream has abandoned hi-fi and embraced wireless BT speakers such as those sold by JBL, Bose and Sonos or perhaps use home cinema soundbars for listening to music. I know that audio enthusiasts tend to be rather dismissive of this trend but this week I was at a friend's place and he was using his soundbars for music, and I have to say it was actually very acceptable. It was a Yamaha 2.1 model (no idea which one, he doesn't know either) and it played music remarkably well, I have heard a lot worse from regular speakers. Is it better than a decent conventional set up? I would say no, but I would also say that it is more than acceptable for most people. I tried it with our own, and whilst I wasn't impressed, Mrs JJB informed me it sounded OK to me and why do I waste money on hi-fi (she is a lady with trenchant opinions and a keen eye for watching the pennies). Reflecting on it, is the mass market right? I have believed for a while that the future is active digital speakers and wireless, is there really such a difference between where the mass market has gone and where we will slowly go? I have Kef X300 desktop speakers and after getting used to them question why you would do it any other way than active digital speakers. Maybe we should also be more open to the potential of soundbars too.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I have the Geneva XXL (MK1, see picture and link below), which is inadequate and (one of) the reason(s) I bought Genelec 8351.

To me, soundbars are OK but inadequate for fascinating sound. This is physics and engineering, no matter what marketing says.

http://www.keithhaddock.com/assets/_managed/products/files/GenevaSoundbrochure.pdf
Geneva-Sound-System-Model-XXL-4-800x800px.jpg

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say 2.1 model do you mean that, or more like 1.1?

I've spent little time listening to them, but I'm principal I can see that one's that use a sub could be much better than a lot of alternatives, if bass amounts for 30% of sound quality a sub, even a small crap one is a much better start than lots of other ways to go.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking Into one for the bedroom TV ...A soundbar with wireless sub may be the solution ...
Back in the days the Yamaha DSP-1100 was quite impressive ... The issue is that I don't have the luxury to try products. I have to rely on reviews...

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of us with expensive hi-fi probably need therapy :facepalm:

Generally, mass-market systems these days sound acceptable when used within their operating limits (don't crack it up to max). The law of diminishing returns kicks in a lot earlier than it used to, especially because DACs and amps have become commodities.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you say 2.1 model do you mean that, or more like 1.1?

He said 2.1 but I'm no expert (neither is my friend, something he freely admits). Certainly the stereo imaging was very good and not at all monaural, plenty of bass but I was surprised by how controlled and balanced it was given the set up of some AV systems.

I wouldn't say one of these things is better than well set up conventional speakers, but I think they're not at all bad and can provide more than acceptable sound. For people who aren't really into audio gear and just want something easy and simple but which sounds good I can see the attraction.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Addon Three from AudioPro, Sweden, an active kit composed of a 8" drive subwoofer + two rounded satellites (full lacquered metal body), black or white finish.
Bought on a closeout @ 150 EUR, and in service since on my Pioneer Kuro plasma TV.
Wireless by means of dongles into the subwoofer USB port.
They sound tremendously well to the point that on some evenings ... we "forget" to switch on the 5.1 HT set up ...

audio-pro-addon-three-black.jpg
audio-pro-addon-three-black-TV.jpg

Olli

Forum Donor
I have this one: https://www.canton.de/en/home-cinema/tv-soundsystem/dm-90.3

I was quite happy with it for TV use - and then I tried something totally great when I was moving into our new appartment. I connected my TV via Toslink to a Mini DSP SHD with Dirac Live onboard.

The difference is so much bigger compared to optimizing "normal" Stereo set ups - in my case the Soundbar was rolling off very early, that's how it looked liked in the measurement window of Dirac. After the correction it is like night and day, it is now even fun to listen to Music with it.

Go with the Polk Audio Signa S2 with the bass module and also rear surrounds if you can get the full setup. It sounds like a friggin orchestra lol. If you can't swing it, the Soundbar itself sounds pretty darn good but the sub and rears definitely add to it. Sound great for movies and games but for music, Polk definitely tuned it well. Also if you use Spotify you can change the EQ settings which will affect the sound through the soundbar, since you can't change the EQ through the bose music app.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most of these soundbars are for television, listening from a number of feet away. I presume these would not be suitable for computer listening.

What decent desktop soundbars (no separate subwoofer) could be used with a PC when the distance is more like two feet and possibly needs some sort of upward direction of sound.

bigbag34

Forum Donor
I’ve heard a few sound bars from Klipsch. A couple buddies have them. For what they are they sound good. The DSP processing does a good job simulating stereo/surround sound. Also the Klipsch models I heard can play pretty loud stay clear. The designers have an advantage since the amps and drivers and DSP are all designed to work together and that advantage plays in the soundbar’s favor since the engineers can “DSP out” a lot of the short comings of the drivers and cabinets.

Jancygenato

I have the Geneva XXL (MK1, see picture and link below), which is inadequate and (one of) the reason(s) I bought Genelec 8351.

To me, soundbars are OK but inadequate for fascinating sound. This is physics and engineering, no matter what marketing says.

http://www.keithhaddock.com/assets/_managed/products/files/GenevaSoundbrochure.pdf
Geneva-Sound-System-Model-XXL-4-800x800px.jpg
Hello sorry for messaging this old thread. Just wanna ask a little assistance from you as I got a mk1 xxl same as yours but I cant make it sound in any inputs I choose. Maybe you could help me thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 19
Top Bottom