• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound United Closes the Deal, Acquires Bowers & Wilkins

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have they acquired Rotel yet?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Why doesn't it bode well?

Increasing consolidation under a single owner entity is typically not good for the consumer.

If Harman International (Samsung) and Sound United get enough total market share, they can become an audio cartel. They can also kill companies they acquire to reduce competition or to get skilled people into other groups. For example Harman did the latter with acquisition of Digitech that had fantastic DSP engineers and the products Digitech was famous for in musical equipment is pretty much gone.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really get the SU lineup. Definitive Tech and Polk seem to be about the same thing, and competitors. Marantz and Denon compete in the same space. Boston Acoustics appears dead. B&W is pretty well known, but appears to be in some sort of transition phase. Classe has always been a small niche player. Others may get excited over the Sound United stable, but those aren't names that do much for me.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
B&W makes some sense, it gives them a speaker to show with Classe. They've been showing with Magico. Polk and Definitive are down market, they have nothing in that price range.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody seen whether the acquisition affects the Society of Sound?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody seen whether the acquisition affects the Society of Sound?
If you mean their music business, I think that was closed a year ago. Two years or so ago I bought a set of refurbed B&W headphones and was given a complimentary sub for downloads. Most of it was material I wasn't interested in, but they had some 'hi res' LSO offerings, which were a decent perk. Not the 'hi res' part, but the gratis LSO recordings. As far as I could tell, the 'hi res' didn't sound any better than standard digits, but took up more bandwidth.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FUN FACT: Rotel amplifiers are voiced using Bowers & Wilkins speakers, likewise B&W speakers are voiced using Rotel amplification.

Looks like we are in chicken and egg land. So which came first? The Rotel or the B&W? LOL

I like the idea of 'family owned' local control for business. One of the first systems I ever spent time with (one of those 'shared' Army barracks systems, was a Rotel integrated amplifier (I think it was 60/ch) and a set of AR3a loudspeakers. Dual 1219 turntable with Stanton 681. I guess 1974 or so.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you mean their music business, I think that was closed a year ago. Two years or so ago I bought a set of refurbed B&W headphones and was given a complimentary sub for downloads. Most of it was material I wasn't interested in, but they had some 'hi res' LSO offerings, which were a decent perk. Not the 'hi res' part, but the gratis LSO recordings. As far as I could tell, the 'hi res' didn't sound any better than standard digits, but took up more bandwidth.

thanks!

clicked the first link I saw and ends up at a b&w support page that does not state the service was terminated. :confused:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this:

Important Announcement about Society of Sound program

It has been ten years since the formation of Bowers & Wilkins Society of Sound - a monthly destination to listen to, discover and discuss music delivered in beautiful high-resolution quality. We’re proud to have shared over 120 releases with subscribers who appreciate great sound.

From the beginning, John Bowers dreamed of bringing the experience and emotion of a live symphony to homes. To this day, we deliver products and services that bring people closer to the original musical performance. While our ambition will never change, the methods and means to access and enjoy music have changed greatly over the last decade. It is with this in mind and after much consideration that we have decided to end the Society of Sound program, effective [March 31, 2019]. The February edition will arrive tomorrow, followed by a final edition in March.

Please download all albums included in your subscription by [March 31] as they will no longer be available past that date.

For those with subscriptions that continue past [March 31], we will include details in the March delivery of how we will service these Society of Sound members.

We are dedicated to continue creating new ways to deepen the joyful experience of music.

Sincerely,
Bowers & Wilkins

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this:

Important Announcement about Society of Sound program

It has been ten years since the formation of Bowers & Wilkins Society of Sound - a monthly destination to listen to, discover and discuss music delivered in beautiful high-resolution quality. We’re proud to have shared over 120 releases with subscribers who appreciate great sound.

From the beginning, John Bowers dreamed of bringing the experience and emotion of a live symphony to homes. To this day, we deliver products and services that bring people closer to the original musical performance. While our ambition will never change, the methods and means to access and enjoy music have changed greatly over the last decade. It is with this in mind and after much consideration that we have decided to end the Society of Sound program, effective [March 31, 2019]. The February edition will arrive tomorrow, followed by a final edition in March.

Please download all albums included in your subscription by [March 31] as they will no longer be available past that date.

For those with subscriptions that continue past [March 31], we will include details in the March delivery of how we will service these Society of Sound members.

We are dedicated to continue creating new ways to deepen the joyful experience of music.

Sincerely,
Bowers & Wilkins

yes thanks, should have mentioned that when I looked further along the search results, the program termination was readily obvious. my confusion is why the b&w link was not explicit about it.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The creation of these market-hogging companies results in what amounts to a false choice for consumers, like people arguing "Ford or Chevy?", when what the companies know is that it's really just a competition to sell loans which move pure commodities -- the products are a remote concern. If you stuck a Panasonic thing from 1980 into a Jeff Rowland shell and hooked it up to speakers with woven unobtainium cones, it would make no difference to these conglomerates operating in the mass-market space. All the innovation is elsewhere. Now, I admit, Harman may be the exception, for reasons I don't entirely understand -- I mean, do they really make more money by making Revel speakers than they would if they made eye-candy instead? -- but that may be short-lived, or else Harman may segment into one or two lines of real engineering and quality with the rest being ordinary. At any rate, Amir has shown us that most (or lots) of the equipment in the marketplace is crummy from a SOTA standpoint no matter whose badge is on it. Would Ford or Chevy have ever improved if Honda and Toyota hadn't come along?

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Weren't they trying to buy Pioneer and Onkyo? I don't know what year those brands stopped having AV receivers on the shelves.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weren't they trying to buy Pioneer and Onkyo? I don't know what year those brands stopped having AV receivers on the shelves.
It's difficult to keep up with the moving landscape anymore. And most people don't seem to care--at least given the extent of products and market penetration for 'traditional' audio gear.

You could tell that Onkyo had lost any real value with consumers by the fact that a company like Gibson bought (or 'obtained the rights' to) Onkyo-Integra (along with Teac-Tascam-Esoteric and what was left of Stanton). Getting owned by pre-Bankrupt Gibson was a sure sign that your company was worthless; or if it had a bit of remaining value it would sure soon be worthless.

Are any of the old Japanese players left? I mean apart from the 'lifestyle' thing? Kenwood, Akai, Sansui, JVC all gone. Sony has a very limited audio-centric lineup. Nakamichi is just a name--they couldn't make a viable switch from analog to digits.

Post Gibson Teac has a handful of 'traditional' two-channel gear, and then there is Yamaha which has kept the flame going. Marantz and Denon. So excepting what's left of Teac it's pretty much those three. Yamaha, being part of a multi-national corporate entity, seems to be the safest bet for long term viability for what are really niche products anymore (integrated amps, CD players, etc). In Japan Pioneer has some high end gear they sell under the TAD brand, but nothing like their 'glory' days.

In the super high-end, Accuphase and Lux have an extensive two channel lineup, but here in the US they don't have much of a market presence, and at their price points they are a difficult sell.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... one of those 'shared' Army barracks systems ...

A bit OT, I acknowledge, but I would love to know more about this, purely as social history ... it's said that the original post-WW2 hi-fi boom was accelerated by people trained in electronics in the service, and clearly the Vietnam (and the immediately post-Vietnam) generation had access to gear in the PXes around the world ... how many folks, like @anmpr1, got their start this way? How important was it?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On a small scale, there is also Technics: https://www.technics.com/us/
I'd forgotten about them, although I own their products. They were surely a major Japanese player. Technics has moved upscale for sure. They used to offer gear at an entry level price, but those days are gone. I guess there is no money to be made by 'stacking deep and selling cheap' anymore.

Top Bottom