• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound United, B&W, has entered agreement to been sold mid 2022.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I understand what you are saying, but learning S.U. is a conglomerate of 41 companies does help explain the extreme redundancy of resources, lack of cohesion and lack of product development and vision. They were in an unsustainable organizational death spiral of their own making. It also helps up understand what kind of mess Kiani took on. I also assure you that level of information is not silly to analyists or traders who do in-depth research.
While not underestimating the problems I see in Sound United, if they were in an unsustainable death spiral of their own making, they would not be making profitt (even small ones) and they would not have been able to fund the purchase of Bowers and Wilkins (and Qualifi) in the last eighteen months. Someone would have noticed.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I lost count how many times B&W or its parent company have been sold the last few years.... Now one more time.

That will be the third time!

JonfromCB

While not underestimating the problems I see in Sound United, if they were in an unsustainable death spiral of their own making, they would not be making profitt (even small ones) and they would not have been able to fund the purchase of Bowers and Wilkins (and Qualifi) in the last eighteen months. Someone would have noticed.
Good point. Maybe someone did notice an sounded the alarm that they needed to have a "fire sale" We have differing opinions and that's OK. Pandemic or not and regardless of how many separate companies there are, turning a profit of only $117Million with over 1000 employees and who knows how many facilicites, rent, utilities, maintenence, insurance, employee benefits, etc may not signal sudden death, but it's a serious red flag of bleeding and floundering and would not have attracted a single investor if it had been a publically traded corporation. Because DEI/SU was privately held, I can't find accurate information about their debt which no doubt exists based on the difference between their claimed sales of over $900 Million and $117 profit...a lot of money has been going to the wrong places. It is what it is.

When shares of a stable profitable company drop over 30% because they bought S.U., it speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Galliardist

Major Contributor
No they won't, I can assure you of that.
Oh well, it was a nice idea, and pushing them in that arena might still work for getting things fixed. Nothing like bad publicity...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Good point. Maybe someone did notice an sounded the alarm that they needed to have a "fire sale" We have differing opinions and that's OK. Pandemic or not and regardless of how many separate companies there are, turning a profit of only $117Million with over 1000 employees and who knows how many facilicites, rent, utilities, maintenence, insurance, employee benefits, etc may not signal sudden death, but it's a serious red flag of bleeding and floundering and would not have attracted a single investor if it had been a publically traded corporation. Because DEI/SU was privately held, I can't find accurate information about their debt which no doubt exists based on the difference between their claimed sales of over $900 Million and $117 profit...a lot of money has been going to the wrong places. It is what it is.

When shares of a stable profitable company drop over 30% because they bought S.U., it speaks volumes.
All good points. I can't find much information either - SU is a multinational and who knows what is hidden where. I'd place less importance on that $117m profit, given that they have swallowed B&W (which seems to have upped their employee numbers by close to a third, so must be a big chunk of the current company) and on a smaller note the Australian distributor QualiFi in what looks like their last reporting period. I suspect B&W weren't in a good way either after the Foundation Audio flop (and I haven't forgiven them for reducing the price of a lot of their products here twice in the few months after I bought expensive Marantz equipment, but that's another matter).
Sound United - Overview, News & Competitors | ZoomInfo.com suggests revenue fell substantially from $198m in their previous reporting year. Your guess about "needing a fire sale" may be right.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea I agree it's complex. I can tell you another subscription corporate data service I use also says 41 companies...
Trying to navigate the corporate landscape can be confusing. For example, Marantz Pro, and Denon Pro, are brands owned by the inMusic operation. inMusic appears to be some sort of holding company, an umbrella for a handful of brands on the borderline of interesting, mostly slumming the 'semi-pro' neighborhood. Akai, once a well-known consumer name (going back to Roberts open reel tape recorders in the US), and Stanton, are now part of inMusic.

In Japan, Denon was a heavy player in the professional recording scene, to include the then newer digital tape recorders. I don't know how they are, over there, today. Akai sells some mixing gear/interfaces--my guess would be they are rebranded Chinese or Malaysian product. Stanton, acquired from Gibson in the latter's bankruptcy, appears to be pretty much a dead brand--like Boston Acoustics in the Sound United portfolio.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't underestimate the credulity of the corporate world. Sometimes all you need is a pretty face, and sometimes the more outrageous the claim, the more money becomes available. And often, those who notice and send up the alarm get marginalized quickly. Liz Holmes and Theranos comes to recent mind, but there are others.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I just don't get it. These companies have absolutely nothing in common that I can figure out except for SU's experience selling to the consumer channel which Masimo wants to tap (they are coming out with consumer health devices). But that said, I would think there would be an easier way than buying, presumably for cash, a fairly large company like SU that has nothing to do with their core industry. Masimo is also publicly traded and down 6.5% after hours so apparently, stockholders aren't impressed.

Maybe the CEO/Founder just loves Marantz receivers and really wants Dirac...
The guy started his own medical products company and now owns two worth 2 billion dollars. I bet he has a plan. I will watch this one because it came out of the blue.

Top Bottom