• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound United, B&W, has entered agreement to been sold mid 2022.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
It's worth looking at some of the problems inside Sound United and its divisions when considering what's happening here, as well as Masimo. I suspect that Sound United is a difficult one, and tough decisions have been put off that needed to be made.

The first thing to realise is that Sound United for a number of years has put limits around its divisions and brands. For each brand, there is a book that defines that brand in terms of its history, look, perceived sound, product range and some management guidance. Occasionally, it looks like senior management has stepped in with decisions, but much of the time the brands have stayed in their defined silos. Despite what the management claim, there's actually been little in terms of uniting the sound or anything else. HEOS, maybe, and possibly an underlying AVR platform for Denon and Marantz- but even then, HDAM is part of that Marantz story and is getting in the way.

This leads to what I find to be moments of stupidity and stilted brand development. Let's look at a couple of decisions that could only be Sound United, that appeared at around the same time as this takeover.

First, the Marantz Model 40. This is a real beauty of a bad product. Not because of what it is as much as what it represents. Marantz have built, in their more expensive two channel products, a new and modern platform. Hypex based amplification, a new and elegant DAC strategy, bringing in HEOS (another product that could be better, but still...), the Model 30 packaging, It looks modern and works well. Now, the advantage of something like this is that they should be able to bring much of it downmarket and make manufacturing of mass market stereo easier in the process. So what happens? The Model 40 is a bolt together of the old and the new that makes little sense. The porthole display makes no sense on an all in one, they've used their previous technology in the new case, and it's a poor "me too" when you look at the NAD M10 or the Naim Uniti products. My money is on a mix of minimal investment in the new products, alongside having to keep HDAM amplification because it's in the brand book. It could also be another result of infighting that sometimes seem to happen among the different bits of Marantz.

The second I'd point to is B&W's 700 series in Nautilus blue. Sorry, I should say "iconic:" Nautilus blue. Again, the most superficial history reference they could make and pure Sound United. Other companies do a lot of historical reference stuff, but not at the silly level Sound United seem to manage so often.

I suggest this is a result of the company treading water while the private investors were looking for a buyer - the brand books were a way of keeping the different parts of the company under control.

There were some references to revenue and so on in earlier posts. I'm not going to go too far into that, but I would point out that prior to the purchase of B&W, which probably made Sound United more attractive despite the Formation Audio miss, the main business of Sound United was almost certainly AVRs. By the time you negotiate the problems of continually having to license and implement more and more "standards" in AVRs, and having to add more channels every other year, the complexities of AVRs have to be added to the fact that whereas in stereo you can release premium products, the AVR market is cutthroat and buyers expect a lot of technology in a single box at a competitive price. You can see the result - few companies play in the multichannel audio market, and because some of the tech has to be updated every year, the underlying core gets little investment, explaining the slow development of Audyssey, the continuing use of class AB that can't be fully driven in all channesl, the continuing bugs and so on. I'd guess there is a lot of cost and little profit in AVRs and that might explain the lack of profit in the electronic brands. Dealing with that is going to be key to the future of Sound United. Maybe they should just take the Oppo approach and drop out, or look at what Samsung have done, cutting products and just implementing some of the codecs in others.

They can also, with loudspeakers, take a leaf out of the IAG book - keep the different brands and designs, but consolidate production.

Whatever approach they choose to take, they can't rest on a conservative approach much longer, and they are going to need a lot more investment and management time to reach a better place. I'm not sure that this particular deal will be good for them, but a new start may be just the thing.

My final point is to suggest that this is a bad fit management-wise, given that SoundUnited are a collection of legacy brands, and Masimo is a disruptor in its market. That might be too much of a jump at board level, but they can be disruptive inside their new acquisition. They can do that in two ways - either radically prune the company, or set up internal disruptive elements and see what happens. Both options carry a lot of risk.

The way forward I would suggest is to leave a lot of the company alone to start with, but to make a few major changes.
The first would be to seriously invest in software and software platforms. Some of this is already in place in that HEOS has spread into other products, and elements of firmware seem to be unified in different products and divisions. That really needs to be strengthened and expanded. The software can be a lot, lot better, there are clear synergies to be had across divisions without compromising brand identity (you can put a new skin or controller app on top to differentiate), and they can merge design platforms as well. I'm sure that there are applications and tools inside Masimo that can be put to use in audio design as well.

Secondly, I would pick on Marantz as the starting place for a 180 degree spin from legacy to future. I would stress the times when Marantz has been in the vanguard, from the last of the original products, to CD, SACD, the early AVRs, and the new Model 30 which shows that their new platform was ready for prime time. I'd drop that "Modern musical luxury" slogan, it means nothing - and replace it with a slogan that expresses the future. If they must use older design language, it's probably time to drop the porthole (except on reference amplifiers perhaps) and look to a different part of their history for inspiration. It's varied enough with all the changes the company has seen...

And (to stir up controversy) I would push multichannel music. As new delivery systems are arriving, I would work quickly on a new Marantz reference series centred on multichannel audio, with an improved HEOS designed for that, and have one of the speaker companies create reference wired and wireless speaker sets for the purpose. Like the current models, these would provide a test bed for new technologies and making them work in a traditional hi-fi guise.

Anyway, that's my wild. suggestive, and too long post for today. I'm off to listen to some Bach, that's how forward looking I am...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hmm...
Maybe Marantz will bring back the slider balance control & gyro touch tuning -- repurposed for the 21st Century.

:cool:

My small but insincere collection of Marantzes (the twenty-six is now gone) -- although, ironically, only the 2220B has the slider...

il_794xN.2982224309_qucy.jpg

JonfromCB

It's worth looking at some of the problems inside Sound United and its divisions when considering what's happening here, as well as Masimo. I suspect that Sound United is a difficult one, and tough decisions have been put off that needed to be made.

The first thing to realise is that Sound United for a number of years has put limits around its divisions and brands. For each brand, there is a book that defines that brand in terms of its history, look, perceived sound, product range and some management guidance. Occasionally, it looks like senior management has stepped in with decisions, but much of the time the brands have stayed in their defined silos. Despite what the management claim, there's actually been little in terms of uniting the sound or anything else. HEOS, maybe, and possibly an underlying AVR platform for Denon and Marantz- but even then, HDAM is part of that Marantz story and is getting in the way.

This leads to what I find to be moments of stupidity and stilted brand development. Let's look at a couple of decisions that could only be Sound United, that appeared at around the same time as this takeover.

First, the Marantz Model 40. This is a real beauty of a bad product. Not because of what it is as much as what it represents. Marantz have built, in their more expensive two channel products, a new and modern platform. Hypex based amplification, a new and elegant DAC strategy, bringing in HEOS (another product that could be better, but still...), the Model 30 packaging, It looks modern and works well. Now, the advantage of something like this is that they should be able to bring much of it downmarket and make manufacturing of mass market stereo easier in the process. So what happens? The Model 40 is a bolt together of the old and the new that makes little sense. The porthole display makes no sense on an all in one, they've used their previous technology in the new case, and it's a poor "me too" when you look at the NAD M10 or the Naim Uniti products. My money is on a mix of minimal investment in the new products, alongside having to keep HDAM amplification because it's in the brand book. It could also be another result of infighting that sometimes seem to happen among the different bits of Marantz.

The second I'd point to is B&W's 700 series in Nautilus blue. Sorry, I should say "iconic:" Nautilus blue. Again, the most superficial history reference they could make and pure Sound United. Other companies do a lot of historical reference stuff, but not at the silly level Sound United seem to manage so often.

I suggest this is a result of the company treading water while the private investors were looking for a buyer - the brand books were a way of keeping the different parts of the company under control.

There were some references to revenue and so on in earlier posts. I'm not going to go too far into that, but I would point out that prior to the purchase of B&W, which probably made Sound United more attractive despite the Formation Audio miss, the main business of Sound United was almost certainly AVRs. By the time you negotiate the problems of continually having to license and implement more and more "standards" in AVRs, and having to add more channels every other year, the complexities of AVRs have to be added to the fact that whereas in stereo you can release premium products, the AVR market is cutthroat and buyers expect a lot of technology in a single box at a competitive price. You can see the result - few companies play in the multichannel audio market, and because some of the tech has to be updated every year, the underlying core gets little investment, explaining the slow development of Audyssey, the continuing use of class AB that can't be fully driven in all channesl, the continuing bugs and so on. I'd guess there is a lot of cost and little profit in AVRs and that might explain the lack of profit in the electronic brands. Dealing with that is going to be key to the future of Sound United. Maybe they should just take the Oppo approach and drop out, or look at what Samsung have done, cutting products and just implementing some of the codecs in others.

They can also, with loudspeakers, take a leaf out of the IAG book - keep the different brands and designs, but consolidate production.

Whatever approach they choose to take, they can't rest on a conservative approach much longer, and they are going to need a lot more investment and management time to reach a better place. I'm not sure that this particular deal will be good for them, but a new start may be just the thing.

My final point is to suggest that this is a bad fit management-wise, given that SoundUnited are a collection of legacy brands, and Masimo is a disruptor in its market. That might be too much of a jump at board level, but they can be disruptive inside their new acquisition. They can do that in two ways - either radically prune the company, or set up internal disruptive elements and see what happens. Both options carry a lot of risk.

The way forward I would suggest is to leave a lot of the company alone to start with, but to make a few major changes.
The first would be to seriously invest in software and software platforms. Some of this is already in place in that HEOS has spread into other products, and elements of firmware seem to be unified in different products and divisions. That really needs to be strengthened and expanded. The software can be a lot, lot better, there are clear synergies to be had across divisions without compromising brand identity (you can put a new skin or controller app on top to differentiate), and they can merge design platforms as well. I'm sure that there are applications and tools inside Masimo that can be put to use in audio design as well.

Secondly, I would pick on Marantz as the starting place for a 180 degree spin from legacy to future. I would stress the times when Marantz has been in the vanguard, from the last of the original products, to CD, SACD, the early AVRs, and the new Model 30 which shows that their new platform was ready for prime time. I'd drop that "Modern musical luxury" slogan, it means nothing - and replace it with a slogan that expresses the future. If they must use older design language, it's probably time to drop the porthole (except on reference amplifiers perhaps) and look to a different part of their history for inspiration. It's varied enough with all the changes the company has seen...

And (to stir up controversy) I would push multichannel music. As new delivery systems are arriving, I would work quickly on a new Marantz reference series centred on multichannel audio, with an improved HEOS designed for that, and have one of the speaker companies create reference wired and wireless speaker sets for the purpose. Like the current models, these would provide a test bed for new technologies and making them work in a traditional hi-fi guise.

Anyway, that's my wild. suggestive, and too long post for today. I'm off to listen to some Bach, that's how forward looking I am...

Good points, The what and how remains to be seen, but the S.U. competing subsidaries, redundant resources, and obvious lack of product vision and development has to be wrangled into a leaner cohesive team rather than an adhesive group of companies with their own identity. 41 companies in S.U. and how many actually make and sell a product to consumers? Those 41 companies have an estimated 1000 employees with an annual profit of $117M. Do the math, each employee is only generating $117,000 profit for the company...hell, I'd wager more than 1/4 of them are paid more than that annually. Those are some of the numbers that scared investors into the Masimo sell-off last week. Kiani was/is certainly savvy enough to know what he was getting into and to have negotiated a plan and vision for S.U. with Kevin Duffy (S.U. CEO) before the agreement.

The sell-off isn't unusual. Shareholders who think they can make a quick buck somewhere else are not going to wait for Masimo to make it all pay-off. It will be interesting to watch from the perspective of an audiophle and from a business perspective. I'm rooting for Kiani. He is not known for making bad decisions or not being able to bring his visions to fruition.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I can't find any indication that Sound United have 41 subsidiaries. Is there a list somewhere? I understood they had eight productive subsidiaries and the Australian distributor QualiFi.

I'd be with the shareholders to be honest. The concern is that Kiani is interested as an audiophile and investing in what could be his blind spot, combined with Sound United not being in the best situation. It looks to me like if you look at the group as it was before it took over B&W, the picture of the rest of the organisation is even worse. The best we can hope for is that the change of ownership frees up management to make changes.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My money is on a mix of minimal investment in the new products, alongside having to keep HDAM amplification because it's in the brand book.

HDAM (discrete opamp) has always been a pointless 'feature'. Needless complexity, added cost and no performance benefit as compared to an off the shelf IC opamp.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
HDAM (discrete opamp) has always been a pointless 'feature'. Needless complexity, added cost and no performance benefit as compared to an off the shelf IC opamp.
And extra noise into the bargain as well according to measurements I've seen in different places. I presume that it's also harder to repair?

JonfromCB

I can't find any indication that Sound United have 41 subsidiaries. Is there a list somewhere? I understood they had eight productive subsidiaries and the Australian distributor QualiFi.

I'd be with the shareholders to be honest. The concern is that Kiani is interested as an audiophile and investing in what could be his blind spot, combined with Sound United not being in the best situation. It looks to me like if you look at the group as it was before it took over B&W, the picture of the rest of the organisation is even worse. The best we can hope for is that the change of ownership frees up management to make changes.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alas Ken Ishiwata is not more of this world.
The golden age of Marantz is past.
41 audio companies under 1 CEO: it is too many.
Even Carlos Goshn with 3 car maker brands failed to unify them.
Good luck for the new owner.

I will always regret my first receiver, a Marantz that never deceived me.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Mematic_20220221_003551(1).jpg

Galliardist

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And extra noise into the bargain as well according to measurements I've seen in different places. I presume that it's also harder to repair?

When they were through-hole, it was easy enough, but the FETs are obsolete now. For the past ten years the HDAMs have been SMD and lead free so no fun either. So much easier (and better) with an 8 pin socket and an off the shelf opamp.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Secondly, I would pick on Marantz as the starting place for a 180 degree spin from legacy to future. I would stress the times when Marantz has been in the vanguard
Has Marantz been the 'vanguard'? In the sense of creating and marketing something fairly unique or different, within an established market?

One should point to the early tube amps, which were expensive at their time, but offered high build quality, and an exceptional dealer experience (during a time when retail dealers were important). The Model 10 tuner could be cited as something different and outstanding--not available elsewhere. The company's early foray into SS was somewhat of an advanced thing, but only because SS was new, in hi-fi. Shortly thereafter, Saul bailed, Superscope took over, and from then on Marantz sold pretty much whatever you could buy from any other Japanese sourced seller. Marantz had a different 'look' than the others, but the others all had their own look, too.

One notable exception might have been the gigantic Marantz receiver, from the '70s. It was actually rated for 4 ohm FTC watts, whereas other monster Japanese receivers usually had 8 ohm ratings.

When you think about it, innovation is really not expected. Unless it's smaller and lighter. Smaller, lighter, and more efficient seems to be the trend. And 'connected', with an app. I think that's the Masimo angle.

The market is stratified, and it's easy to see where the brands compete:

1) Products built to a price point, probably sourced from a Malaysian factory. Innovation consists of how many features can be put on a chip and subsequently controlled via a remote. Out of warranty they are essentially throw-away, if they stop working. Cosmetically you get a 'black box', and the different brand of black boxes all look (and perform) about the same. We mostly recognize this in the home theater receiver market.

2) High value cost to performance items, mostly made in China, and sold over the Internet. These began life as very inexpensive boxes, but over time prices have risen, commensurate with the general inflation. In any case, they are not really 'cheap' anymore--at least on an absolute basis. Mostly a 'desktop/personal' form factor. You get no dealer support; consequently warranty returns are going to be a hassle, should you encounter a problem and have to ship it back to China. If you buy through an Amazon 'store' it might be less of a problem, depending. Topping is representative.

3) Actually innovative products built to a high standard selling for a reasonable (but hardly inexpensive) price, mostly factory direct, but not always. Benchmark is representative. Here, your money gets you support and top tier warranty service, should you need it.

4) Established 'high end' brands where cost is not the most important (or even a) factor: McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Accuphase, Bryston. These brands have little relationship to the 'normal' hi-fi marketplace.

5) Tweako gear, sold in very limited quantities, often at outrageous prices. Companies selling this stuff mostly rely on Internet/Magazine influencers for publicity--influencers who make up stuff about the gear's supposed mystical supersonic qualities in an effort to seduce gullible and unsophisticated buyers.

6) Then there is the so-called mid-fi, sold mostly through mail order outfits like Crutchfield, and the few remaining storefronts--local 'big box' stores such as Best Buy. NAD, Cambridge, Yamaha, Rotel are examples. This is the Marantz/Denon market.

With the possible exception of Yamaha, who attempt to retain a 'traditional' '70s look, the rest of the bunch are nothing special, cosmetically, and in fact could be interchangeable (Rotel seems to be attempting an odd anachronistic break from the mold--their gear looks like NAD looked like twenty years ago, while NAD now looks like everything else! LOL).

This tier gear must be sold on price/features, because the 'tweako' mystical shtick doesn't really work for these brands. Unfortunately, they all pretty much offer similar looking product at the same price point, and they all have pretty much the same features.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to invest money in an outfit like Sound United. Especially for a medical device company. Integrating hi-fi with hearing-aids makes sense. But why would you need Denon, Marantz, or Def Tech for that? Obviously hi-fi is not the main reason. Joe Kiani in his jargonized 'corporate speak' press release writes:

"We see significant opportunities to cross-leverage technologies, bringing Masimo’s clinically superior solutions into the home and on-the-go as well as bringing Sound United’s premium technologies into the hospital to advance our hospital automation connectivity and cloud-based technologies. The technology and expertise within Sound United will serve us well as we aim to augment our Masimo SafetyNet strategy. Their well-established reputation and presence in the home can help us accelerate adoption of our wearables, and integrated, home-based telemedicine solutions.”

So it seems to be geared toward the 'hospital' side of the fence. I can understand that. BTW: for those interested in exploring the Masimo SafetyNet, I've attached a strategic pic of the company's SafetyNet girl (courtesy of their Website). Easily giving Masimo as many marketing possibilities as did Carver's Miss Hologram...

masimo_adult_shradt_003_episodic.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One notable exception might have been the gigantic Marantz receiver, from the '70s. It was actually rated for 4 ohm FTC watts, whereas other monster Japanese receivers usually had 8 ohm ratings.
To which model do you refer? Do you recall? I'm not being confrontational, but I am drawing a blank, and I'm curious.

In the era just before "FTC '74", most brands referenced four ohm power claims (whether they acknowledged that in print or not).
After '74, most included 8 ohm power rating -- some (many, by the later 70s) included both 4 and 8 ohm... and some (Yamaha, e.g., and perhaps oddly) included 1kHz or even "IHF music power" type ratings as well.

These are my own scans from the 1975 LRE catalog; you may find a copy of the whole catalog (with its hideous cover art and all) at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Lafayette-Catalogs/Lafayette-1975-750.pdf

As a not-unrelated aside, and FWIW, the early Marantz ss components included some sort of "sine wave"/continuous power specs, before it was fashionable (much less required).

1645459807902.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Lafayette-Catalogs/Lafayette-1970-700.pdf 1970 LRE general catalog pg. 33

JonfromCB

Thanks. They wouldn’t let me regis...ll trust you on that as I can’t see the list.
Yea I agree it's complex. I can tell you another subscription corporate data service I use also says 41 companies...but it's all a little convoluted and unclear because S.U. is a LLC owned by DEI, a private holding company that appears to not own any other entities, so who know's what those 41 companies could be. Private corporations don't have to be transparent like publically traded companies do so we'll never know what those 41 companies are by design and intent of the company structure.

My personal guess would be some suppliers, marketing, distribution, manufacturing, sales, and others. I know they own at least one company that makes car remote start and alarm systems. I also surmise some of the other companies are actually set up for the individual private investors to account for taxes and profit distribution, to provide tax benefits to those individuals, and isolate the private investors from interfering with the CEO and operations.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is silly to wonder about the 41 companies. They are created because the lawyers and accountants tell you to make them. Some will be contain assets of the different business lines, as you would expect. Some are going to be in different jurisdictions where they need to separately file taxes. Some may be setup to issue certain debt. Some will be to get certain tax treatment (e.g., moving intelectual property to Ireland and licensing to other subsidiaries from there). Since Sound United isn't publicly traded, they don't need to lay it out in a regulatory filing.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Heck I think there are at least forty-one companies using just Bob Carver's name nowadays!
ahem... sorry... sorry!

:cool::facepalm:

JonfromCB

It is silly to wonder about the 41 companies. They are created because the lawyers and accountants tell you to make them. Some will be contain assets of the different business lines, as you would expect. Some are going to be in different jurisdictions where they need to separately file taxes. Some may be setup to issue certain debt. Some will be to get certain tax treatment (e.g., moving intelectual property to Ireland and licensing to other subsidiaries from there). Since Sound United isn't publicly traded, they don't need to lay it out in a regulatory filing.

I understand what you are saying, but learning S.U. is a conglomerate of 41 companies does help explain the extreme redundancy of resources, lack of cohesion and lack of product development and vision. They were in an unsustainable organizational death spiral of their own making. It also helps up understand what kind of mess Kiani took on. I also assure you that level of information is not silly to analyists or traders who do in-depth research.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure the new owner will make some serious changes over a few years. He most likely will not let it get worse! If he gets all into 2 channel then the death bell will be ringing. 2 channel can't support the companies. They need well done sound bars (top tier) and well done active and passive speakers. Also, don't make the prices so high the average person can't afford much. That is why I think Polk has such a huge chance of becoming one of the leading speaker companies if they just head in the right direction and clean up the product line. They should call me for advice. But, since Trump didn't call me either, I'm not expecting any calls. :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To which model do you refer? Do you recall? I'm not being confrontational, but I am drawing a blank, and I'm curious.
It was the 2500. Len Feldman wrote it up for Audio in 1978. It didn't double it's power into 4, but was respectable. The ads highlighted the receivers current ability.

marantz.jpg

marantz3.jpg

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Yea I agree it's complex. I can tell you another subscription corporate data service I use also says 41 companies...but it's all a little convoluted and unclear because S.U. is a LLC owned by DEI, a private holding company that appears to not own any other entities, so who know's what those 41 companies could be. Private corporations don't have to be transparent like publically traded companies do so we'll never know what those 41 companies are by design and intent of the company structure.

My personal guess would be some suppliers, marketing, distribution, manufacturing, sales, and others. I know they own at least one company that makes car remote start and alarm systems. I also surmise some of the other companies are actually set up for the individual private investors to account for taxes and profit distribution, to provide tax benefits to those individuals, and isolate the private investors from interfering with the CEO and operations.
This sounds like the list includes companies that either aren't part of Sound United or won't be sold as part of the deal. As Masimo is a public company I understand any deal could not include companies included to benefit the private owners - so I doubt all 41 companies would be included.

Wikipedia at least implies that DEI Holdings' vehicle security business is separate to Sound United. I'd be inclined to believe that without a statement that the vehicle security company is included in the sale, and I can't find one.

Top Bottom