• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

sound stage in headphones

OP
M

musica

do you think which headphones have a better soundstage the HD 600 or the fidelio x2hr?

NSX

There is a funny binaural recording on YouTube which works with any headphone fairly well as long as you close your eyes and sit down.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To repeat post but this track has some nice imaging effects.
Says on my side that this video is unavailable..
Spotify or Apple Music Links?
TIA

Happy holidays!
Peace.

OP
M

musica

how do you perceive the soundstage of this video?

NSX

I think there is a fairly amount of spacial information recorded in this clip but the women are all mixed more or less in the center and do not fit to what my eyes see.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I get some 3D sense with some tracks and some headphones but not this video. For me this video had 3 dimensions and depth layering, but the position of sounds on the y axis (i.e. the depth) did not change, and the only "movement" was on left to right axis. With some headphones I could position the female vocals in the left-right axis better than others.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To repeat post but this track has some nice imaging effects.
I did not use headphones: but yes, great imaging effects. I'll try it with headphones later. I only use cordless ones, which are an ancient pair of Sennheiser TR180's.They are not Bluetooth.

Oldson

Forum Donor
this seems like a good thread to post a question that is only slightly off topic.

i have seen a few headphone amplifier reviews where the reviewer has stated that "opamp" based devices tend to have a very shallow soundstage as opposed to fully discrete designs. referring to them as a "wall of sound"!
would like to know if the general consensus here was the same?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this seems like a good thread to post a question that is only slightly off topic.

i have seen a few headphone amplifier reviews where the reviewer has stated that "opamp" based devices tend to have a very shallow soundstage as opposed to fully discrete designs. referring to them as a "wall of sound"!
This is just BS. IME a broad wall of sound is rather a sign of audible distortion where a cleaner amp has more depth.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Op-amps also have the same components in them as discrete designs... except usually there are a LOT more active components in an op-amp than in a discrete design.
Even the design of discrete amps, not surprisingly, looks a lot like that of op-amps. Having all the active components on one chip has the advantage of closer matching of certain parts than can be had using discrete components that would have to be hand matched using a lot of components to find 'pairs'.

How that would affect sound stage only would be hard to explain except that sound stage happens in the brain ...

TomW

Soundstage is mostly related to volume, the louder the sound the bigger the soundstage. Some headphone amps have a sligth dynamic compression to the sound so it is easier to listen louder. Happens with tube amps a lot, or multibit dacs.
Same for headphone, if you find a frequency response that is ideal for your ears you will get a good soundstage if it is on the recording because you get the right amount of loudness.
Soundstage is mostly FR and just a little bit else.

It is also worth to keep in mind that soundstage is related to the recording.

Top Bottom