• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms 2017 Book by Floyd E. TOOLE

Habu

Hello from France,

I think that Mr Floyd E. Toole deserve a separate post for the 2017 3rd edition of his book:
"Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms"

Introduction to the Third Edition by Floyd Toole

< This book is about science in audio, the acoustics and psychoacoustics of loudspeakers, rooms and their combined effects on what listeners hear. It contains many references to work done by researchers all over the world, but among them are references to work done by my research colleagues and me over the years. Consequently, in this introduction to the new edition, I will also introduce myself, my motivations, and my approach to examining aspects of audio.
The first edition of the book was clearly oriented to explaining the science underlying the acoustics and psychoacoustics of loudspeakers, rooms and the listeners who derive pleasure from the combinations. What was called the second edition was a labeling error associated with a change in publishers. The book was unchanged. This edition is substantially new. I have tried to adopt a more linear approach to explaining how the art, technology and science combine to create listening experiences and how we perceive them.>

IMG_2127.JPG

I found an article from James Larson describing this book :
http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/sound-reproduction

Extract:
"People unversed in technical terminology will talk about an audio system’s 'sound quality,' and what they mean is how good does the system sound to them and how ‘accurate’ is it. But what constitutes ‘sound quality’ exactly, in a more precise and scientific sense? Many people have spent a great deal of time and money chasing the better end of ‘sound quality,’ but without an understanding of what ‘sound quality’ is, they are stuck in a blind search for something that simply sounds good to them that they happen to chance upon. A better definition of sound quality would serve as a guide post for those seeking audio nirvana, and I do not think one can find a better explanation of this criterion called ‘sound quality’ than Dr. Floyd E. Toole’s latest book, ‘Sound Reproduction: The Acoustic and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms, 3rd Edition’. It is more than just an introduction to sound reproduction and sound quality; it is a comprehensive explanation of all of the components that add up to sound quality, and how that quality can be good or go wrong. The recently released 3rd edition is a major re-ordering and rewrite that is updated with much of the latest advances in research and technology on the subjects that are covered."

There is also a video on youtube :

CIRMMT Distinguished Lectures in the Science and Technology of Music Floyd Toole, consultant to Harman International, USA 16 April 2015 - Tanna Schulich Hall

And some lines about Floyd E. Toole
http://www.aes.org/events/145/presenters/?ID=7712

4626_sm.png

Floyd Toole
Primary Affiliation: Acoustical consultant to Harman, ex. Harman VP Acoustical Engineering - Oak Park, CA, USA
Floyd E. Toole studied electrical engineering at the University of New Brunswick and at the Imperial College of Science and Technology, University of London where he received a Ph.D. In 1965 he joined the National Research Council of Canada in the Division of Applied Physics where he reached the position of Senior Research Officer in the Acoustics and Signal Processing Group. In 1991 he joined Harman International Industries Inc. as Corporate Vice President – Acoustical Engineering. In this position he worked with all Harman International companies and created and directed the Harman Research Group, a central resource for acoustical research and technology development relating to the consumer and professional audio industries. He retired in 2007, and remains a consultant to Harman.
Dr. Toole’s research has focused on the acoustics and psychoacoustics of sound reproduction, directed to improving engineering measurements, objectives for loudspeaker design and evaluation, and techniques for reducing variability at the loudspeaker/room/listener interface. A measurement technique based on his research in the 1980s and further developed in the Harman research group is now a core component in ANSI/CTA-2034-A (2015). “Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers”, Consumer Technology Association, Technology and Standards Dept., www.CTA.tech.
For his scientific contributions to the audio industry he has been recognized with:
• Two Audio Engineering Society (AES) Publications awards (1988, 1990).
• The AES Silver Medal award (1996).
• The AES Board of Governors Award for service to the society (2003).
• CEDIA Lifetime Achievement award (2008).
• Beryllium Driver Lifetime Achievement award from ALMA (Association of Loudspeaker Manufacturing & Acoustics International) (2011).
• The AES Gold Medal award (2013).
• Inducted into the Consumer Technology Association Hall of Fame (2015).
• The Peter Barnett Award from the Institute of Acoustics (UK) (2017).
He is a Fellow and Past President of the AES, a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America and a Fellow of CEDIA (Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association).
In addition to numerous publications in magazines, convention preprints and refereed journals, he has authored a book: “Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms.”, Third Edition, Focal Press, 2017.

Sincerely yours

Habu

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes an excellent book audiophiles benefit from reading.

In case you didn't know, Floyd Toole is also a member here. He posts on topics here from time to time.

OP
Habu

Habu

And just for fun, a little extract...
Personalization.jpg

OP
Habu

Habu

Yes an excellent book audiophiles benefit from reading.

In case you didn't know, Floyd Toole is also a member here. He posts on topics here from time to time.

Oups ..... Thanks for the information !

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A wealth of information in there. I finished reading it a few weeks ago.

hvbias

I have the previous edition, I have learned so much from it. I like to refer to books like these as espresso- super concentrated and delicious.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I like to refer to books like these as espresso- super concentrated and delicious.

I had a job site at a co-locate facility in Miami.

Showed up, found the cage, a guy walks by and says "Cocaine on the Loading Dock - 8:30".

Not having a key to the cage yet, went looking for it, stopped by the dock.

Their morning "cocaine" was espresso shots, just to start the day...

Last edited:

andyc56

I have the previous edition, I have learned so much from it. I like to refer to books like these as espresso- super concentrated and delicious.

The most recent edition of the book is a major rewrite of the previous one. Even if you've read the previous edition, I'd highly recommend the third edition for a couple of reasons. First, there is a substantial amount of new material. Second, the topics have been rearranged for better understanding of the material.

hvbias

I had a job site at a co-locate facility in Miami.

Showed up, found the cage, a guy walks by and says "Cocaine on the Loading Dock - 8:30".

Not having a key to the cage yet, went looking for it, stopped by the dock.

Their morning "cocaine" was espresso shots, just to start the day...

I drink it nearly entirely for the flavor. Though I limit myself to max three caffeinated drinks per day (either black coffee, espresso or cappuccino) it doesn't have a huge effect on me. When I can bring myself to have the nerve to pay for a La Marzocco GS/3 I will make it a reality :)

The most recent edition of the book is a major rewrite of the previous one. Even if you've read the previous edition, I'd highly recommend the third edition for a couple of reasons. First, there is a substantial amount of new material. Second, the topics have been rearranged for better understanding of the material.

I fully intend to buy it, more of a matter when I have more free time.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just making my way through it now. Really helpful and evidence-based. The chapter on room reflections has been a revelation.

Not sure I will make it through the references...

Top Bottom