• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound popping/cracking at higher volumes

hszazg

Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a couple of years, always checking the reviews. No technical background, so a lot of things still fly over my head.
Anyway, intro aside, my current system is:
  • Headphone: Sennheiser HD650
  • DAC/headphone amplifier: iFi Micro iDSD (the normal original version)
  • Preamp: Yamaha WXC-50
  • Power amp: Pro-Ject Amp Box RS
  • Wharfedale Linton Heritage
  • Source: usually my laptop with the iDSD or streaming via the Yamaha
At higher volumes, I've been getting some cracking and sound popping with the Lintons, which is frustrating.
I've verified all of the connections, everything is in order. So what could be the possible causes? I've read that besides poor connections, lack of power could be one of them, but that Amp Box is strong and it can deal with lower impedance (the Lintons can drop to below 4Ohm and the power amp is rated for 2Ohm).
Any guidance here would be very welcomed!

A side question would be: what's the main bottleneck here? Is this system ok (how would you rate it)?
I think I might need a better source, maybe some software to tweak things (aka an EQ).

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Best,
H

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At higher volumes, I've been getting some cracking and sound popping with the Lintons, which is frustrating.
Does this only occur with the Lintons and not the headphones? What source(s) are you using when this occurs?

OP
H

hszazg

Does this only occur with the Lintons and not the headphones? What source(s) are you using when this occurs?
Yeah, only with the Lintons. Haven't had any cracking with the headphones so far - but honestly, I don't usually drive them as hard as I drive the speakers.

When streaming with the Yamaha, I usually go with Spotify Connect - I feel a little bad about it, at least I'm using the pro version and I hope the Hi-Fi Spotify will come at some point.
When using the PC as a source (with the iDSD as the DAC), I use again Spotify or some basic CD reader.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The obvious thing would be to think that you are over driving the Lintons. The second thing is that the amp box might be being over driven at higher levels. As in the input signal is maybe too high somewhere.

Have you tried a different source(s) to confirm that the crackling occurs that way or not?

OP
H

hszazg

I will use more different sources and test it, thank you for the suggestion!
I noticed that this will happen mostly with very low sounds (lower frequencies that are bass-heavy).
It also happens more often when using the computer+iDSD as a source versus Spotify Connect+Yamaha, does this make sense?

F

freemansteve

Sounds like a power amp issue, no pun intended - but it could be the speakers are damaged. Can you post a sound file that demonstrates the nature of the noise, by recording it on you phone or is it too subtle?

Might it be noise pickup from your mains, getting through the amp's PSU? If you can, try a quick test and switch off all breakers except the one that feeds the amp (etc). It will rule out fridges, central heating etc that are probably on a different circuit - but if your noises are new, and no other electrical kit has been added in the house, then this idea is unlikely.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, one source can have more of a issue than another. I'm checking the output and input impedances and voltages to see if anything is amiss.
Yamaha WXC-50>
yami.png

Pro-Ject Amp Box RS>
yami 2 RS BOX.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When streaming with the Yamaha, I usually go with Spotify Connect - I feel a little bad about it, at least I'm using the pro version and I hope the Hi-Fi Spotify will come at some point.
Don't feel bad because you listen to Spotify. Some of us listen to records still. ;)

Spotify is now a Podcast company with a music streaming side business. They payed 100 million $ for a single podcaster. They try to become the top Podcast advertiser. Spotify lossless will never materialize because there isn't money in it.

OP
H

hszazg

Sounds like a power amp issue, no pun intended - but it could be the speakers are damaged. Can you post a sound file that demonstrates the nature of the noise, by recording it on you phone or is it too subtle?

Might it be noise pickup from your mains, getting through the amp's PSU? If you can, try a quick test and switch off all breakers except the one that feeds the amp (etc). It will rule out fridges, central heating etc that are probably on a different circuit - but if your noises are new, and no other electrical kit has been added in the house, then this idea is unlikely.
I did a frequency sweep as recommended by @Doodski and nothing has come out of the ordinary. I'll try to record the noise and I'll post it here, tagging you. Would that be ok?

I haven't really added anything electrical to the house, but I did this test with the breakers and again nothing really changed.

OP
H

hszazg

OP
H

hszazg

Don't feel bad because you listen to Spotify. Some of us listen to records still. ;)

Spotify is now a Podcast company with a music streaming side business. They payed 100 million $ for a single podcaster. They try to become the top Podcast advertiser. Spotify lossless will never materialize because there isn't money in it.
Thanks! And yeah... this whole Podcast thing with Spotify has been a little disheartening. I really like their user interface and their algorithm. I've tried other streaming services like Tidal, but it wasn't for me.

OP
H

hszazg

Yes, one source can have more of a issue than another. I'm checking the output and input impedances and voltages to see if anything is amiss.
Yamaha WXC-50>
View attachment 200515
Pro-Ject Amp Box RS>
View attachment 200516
From the number you've highlighted then it seems there is a mismatch between the Yamaha and the Pro-Ject, no? As in, the Yamaha would be overdriving the power amp? So many things to consider... I was able to grab both of these separates for a very nice price locally, both new too. I should consider system harmonization and look at the numbers, no? Maybe get a more proper preamp?

OP
H

hszazg

Cracking and popping is what digital clipping sounds like. You're overdriving something with too much voltage.
From the tech specs kindly posted by Doodski, it seems that might be the case. Would you say it's possible to harmlessly tweak the voltage or I inadvertently bought mismatching separates and now I should look into getting a new piece for my system?

F

freemansteve

Could be clipping as said above... You list 2 units each with a DAC, so I assume the headphone unit can be ruled out, and it is only the WXC-50 that is in the audio chain when you hear the bad noises. I'd be very surprised that a unit like that might digitally clip, but can you try a test track known to be bad, and use MP3gain on it to turn (digital) levels down? I am trying to rule out the noise being a feature of the source files.... A long shot though.

I don't think any of the analogue-to-analougue matches are an issue, and the tech specs perhaps a red-herring.

I only just realized the amp is valve-based! I'd definitely pull out and re-seat all the valves....

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Headphone: Sennheiser HD650
  • DAC/headphone amplifier: iFi Micro iDSD (the normal original version)
  • Preamp: Yamaha WXC-50
  • Power amp: Pro-Ject Amp Box RS
  • Wharfedale Linton Heritage
  • Source: usually my laptop with the iDSD or streaming via the Yamaha
A side question would be: what's the main bottleneck here? Is this system ok (how would you rate it)?
I think I might need a better source, maybe some software to tweak things (aka an EQ).
The very first thing i would get is a calibrated measurement microphone (like the UMIK1), a laptop and REW. That should give you good insight in how your speakers interact with your room. Only then i would start thinking about upgrade.

Your stuff seems to be fine overall, i would like to listen to some tunes with it. However, i only know the Yamaha and Sennheiser HD650 myself.

From the tech specs kindly posted by Doodski, it seems that might be the case. Would you say it's possible to harmlessly tweak the voltage or I inadvertently bought mismatching separates and now I should look into getting a new piece for my system?
Maybe you can lend an integrated amp from someone to verify that it is or is not the preamp/power amp combination? Before buying stuff :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@hszazg The output and input parameters of the amp and preamp are OK. In that the Yamaha will be able to drive the amp to clipping.

OP
H

hszazg

Could be clipping as said above... You list 2 units each with a DAC, so I assume the headphone unit can be ruled out, and it is only the WXC-50 that is in the audio chain when you hear the bad noises. I'd be very surprised that a unit like that might digitally clip, but can you try a test track known to be bad, and use MP3gain on it to turn (digital) levels down? I am trying to rule out the noise being a feature of the source files.... A long shot though.

I don't think any of the analogue-to-analougue matches are an issue, and the tech specs perhaps a red-herring.

I only just realized the amp is valve-based! I'd definitely pull out and re-seat all the valves....
Thank you! I see there are still a lot more steps I can take to try to single out the possible nature of the problem.
Glad to see the matching is unlikely to be a problem, but I'll sure check the valves in the amp! Thanks for pointing it out, I myself forget sometimes that it's valve-based.

Top Bottom