• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOUND LIAISON, PCM DXD DSD free compare formats sampler. A new 2.0 version.

Tks

Major Contributor
Just wondering since I'm not versed with sampling theory and filtering much.. Since ultrasonic content can sometimes spring back and effect the audible band due to how some listening devices handle the signals, does this also go for downsampled content? Like lets say we find a "bad" 192kHz original, and take it down to 44.1 (or 48 just for the sake of eliminating integer issues, if such a thing actually exists), would the file simply have all it's content after 44.1 kHz chopped off, or would there be some form of the ultrasonics that were "bad" in the 192kHz original, somehow make their way back down to the new 44.1 kHz resample we've created in virtue of the resampling process being the way it is? Or is the whole IMD (and other artifacts) of Hi-Res an issue with ONLY physical drivers or amps being asked to reproduce high frequencies, and are suffering from the trouble of certain ultrasonics, or does the issue become unavoidable even with resampling down to a lower frequency?

bennetng

Major Contributor
Just wondering since I'm not versed with sampling theory and filtering much.. Since ultrasonic content can sometimes spring back and effect the audible band due to how some listening devices handle the signals, does this also go for downsampled content? Like lets say we find a "bad" 192kHz original, and take it down to 44.1 (or 48 just for the sake of eliminating integer issues, if such a thing actually exists), would the file simply have all it's content after 44.1 kHz chopped off, or would there be some form of the ultrasonics that were "bad" in the 192kHz original, somehow make their way back down to the new 44.1 kHz resample we've created in virtue of the resampling process being the way it is? Or is the whole IMD (and other artifacts) of Hi-Res an issue with ONLY physical drivers or amps being asked to reproduce high frequencies, and are suffering from the trouble of certain ultrasonics, or does the issue become unavoidable even with resampling down to a lower frequency?
This should answer your question.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dio-interface-review.15757/page-4#post-504008

As for "integer ratio", downsampling must be non-integer ratios. For example, 96 > 48 = 0.5. A robust SRC should be able to handle any ratios, including resampling to and from prime numbers. Search for the word "76543Hz" in the article below to see some results.
https://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/06/guest-post-why-we-should-use-software.html

Reactions: Tks

David_M

Wow, this is quite a positive development! I had no expectation that any producer would go back and re-do the production this way. Kudos to you for doing this!!!

Amirm ... would you please verify their claims they fixed the soundtrack and now have no ultrasonic noise? You could amend your original video with your new findings.

OP
S

Sound Liaison

Personally I'd prefer he spent his time producing new albums rather than fixing non-audible issues in old ones.

@Sound Liaison on the topic of non-audible issues, there are some tracks that have kind of a beep at around 21 kHz. Just out of curiosity, do you know what it is? (And to be clear, I do not ask to fix that in existing albums; on the contrary, I ask to not waste time on it)
Hi Danadam
no worries we are working hard on new releases. Coming soon are new albums with # Hands clapping, Tettero, Carmen Gomes, Gidon Nunez Waz, Michael Moore&Paul Berner.
We discovered that the fire alarm system in the building sends out a control ''beep'' at 21 khz. We have fixed the issue on the later albums by placing an acoustic baffle over it when we record.
Kind regards Frans

Last edited:
OP
S

Sound Liaison

Amirm ... would you please verify their claims they fixed the soundtrack and now have no ultrasonic noise? You could amend your original video with your new findings.

Yes please. I would find that most interesting. So if you can find the time Amir.
Greetings Frans

OP
S

Sound Liaison

I would be really interested to hear it with raw track without processing (compression/tape).
Hi LightBit,
Maybe a bit too much to ask. :)
Maybe somewhere in the future we could make a sampler where we show different stages of the process. Say from recording to final master. But I have a lot of recordings still waiting to be finished, the musicians are getting impatient:), but it is good idea.

OP
S

Sound Liaison

We have a couple of new recordings coming up in the fall. I keep on experimenting with what works best here are 2 examples;
One of them is with a minimalist set up going from one mic to what we like to call one mic +. That's in this case with a spot mic on the bass and the piano;
Another is with a full multi mic set ;

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
We have a couple of new recordings coming up in the fall. I keep on experimenting with what works best here are 2 examples;
One of them is with a minimalist set up going from one mic to what we like to call one mic +. That's in this case with a spot mic on the bass and the piano;
Another is with a full multi mic set ;
Thank you for sharing this wonderful music/recording with the ASR membership. ;)

OP
S

Sound Liaison

Thank you too for your feedback.

weesch

hi
i will be happy to record my song on dxd 384 khz or pure dsd but.....
it doesn't exist a computer capable to do multitrack record and play at this samplerate !
Cubase have a DSD asio 2.2 but.
no audio interface exist for asio dsd (no sdi audio interface and mixer)!
perhaps merging https://www.merging.com/
so i stay with my old 24 bit 44.1 khz cubase and protools studio
Plastic Man

OP
S

Sound Liaison

weesch

hi
hi yes !
Merging hapi seem to be a great audio device....
but can you tell us what is the difference between merging rj 45 asio ?
and Yamaha rj 45 dante asio ?
because for asio latency ...dante is more powerfull than merging rj 45
even if yamaha dante don't do dsd...
ps : Peter Bjørnild is a great great bassist !
hej fra en franskmand bor i Paris, men hvem ønsker at bo i Tranekaer Langeland for kun at lave ... musik
i want to do this song in your dsd studio with a real piano a real drum real voice...
thanks
best regards
weesch

Last edited:
OP
S

Sound Liaison

I
hi

hi yes !
Merging hapi seem to be a great audio device....
but can you tell us what is the difference between merging rj 45 asio ?
and Yamaha rj 45 dante asio ?
because for asio latency ...dante is more powerfull than merging rj 45
even if yamaha dante don't do dsd...
ps : Peter Bjørnild is a great great bassist !
hej fra en franskmand bor i Paris, men hvem ønsker at bo i Tranekaer Langeland for kun at lave ... musik
i want to do this song in your dsd studio with a real piano a real drum real voice...
thanks
best regards
weesch
I can't really help you with that kind of technical questions as to which is better.

I'll tell Peter you like his playing.

Nice song but we mainly do jazz and blues albums performed live.

I

weesch

I

I can't really help you with that kind of technical questions as to which is better.

I'll tell Peter you like his playing.

Nice song but we mainly do jazz and blues albums performed live.

I
Jeroen Willems
This man was so good !!!
i would dream making old music with new hardware such as dsd computer cubase recording...
i use to go to denmark soon see my family ... if you have an opportunity ...
please contact me...i'am not able to read music...
but i have a musical ear ...
best regards
phil

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although quite belated, I quickly analyzed all of the 15 tracks in the "SOUND LIAISON free compare formats sampler 2.0 version" by using MusicScope 2.1.0, and shared my findings in this post on the remote thread entitled "DSD is better than PCM!".

I also shared almost the same (with further comments) in my post here on my multichannel project thread, since this issue is closely related to my system setup and configuration.

I do not like to have a kind of further multiple posts on the same information, so I am hesitating to past the screen captures of MusicScope analysis here in this post. If many of you, however, would like to have the capture images also here in this thread (in this post), I will be happy to do so.

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
In another forum I received PMs regarding a software I made indicated that some of the 24-bit Sound Liaison demo files in the website below only have 16 valid bits.

As a result, I updated my software and used the files above as example in the readme file. People who are interested can download my software (BitSort/oldsCool) to examine your audio files.

OP
S

Sound Liaison

In another forum I received PMs regarding a software I made indicated that some of the 24-bit Sound Liaison demo files in the website below only have 16 valid bits.

As a result, I updated my software and used the files above as example in the readme file. People who are interested can download my software (BitSort/oldsCool) to examine your audio files.
Which of our demos files have only 16bit?

Last edited:

bennetng

Major Contributor
Which of our demos files have only 16bit?
You can download the software in my signature link, the readme file contains analyses from 3 of the files download from your website. Read the "How bits are sorted" section to see the analyses of your files. I also included SHA256 hashes so that others can check if they have downloaded the same files or not.

Also, one of the analyzed file (not the one that has 16 bits) was being analyzed in the discussion below, which contributed to the improvement of the WavPack lossless codec.

Just to add another information, some times earlier Archimago presented an internet blind test about 16 vs 24-bit by uploading two test files for others to evaluate, but he worried the files can be easily identified by existing software tools. He added some subtle processing to the 16-bit file so that others can't easily analyze it. However my software can accurately tell which is the 16-bit file before he revealed the answer. Here is my comment:
You can also scroll up and read the main blog content and see what Archimago had done in order to hide the identity of the 16-bit file.

Top Bottom