• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound card vs DAC+splitter/crossover for 2.1 audio?

JWAmerica

Currently running a Xonar DG card with UNi drivers, front L/R to a 1973 HK 930 (preamp bypassed) and sub out to an FX Audio TDA7498 amp, the crossover is handled by the UNi driver Flexbass function. The amps are driving a pair of Fisher STV-893 3-way monkey coffins with 15" woofers and a 12" 4th order bandpass subwoofer.

I'm looking to modernize and hopefully simplify this setup. I also have an old Beresford TC-7510 DAC, but using that would necessitate a crossover for the subwoofer. And apparently the Beresford 7520 is garbage, so that doesn't bode well for the 7510's performance.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off sticking with a sound card or switching to an eternal DAC+crossover. I've also been investigating the BRZHIFI and YJHifi dual TPA3255 300W+150W+150W amps. Any suggestions or possibilities I'm overlooking? The cheaper the better.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
How much do you want to spend, and how fiddly? I'm using an RPi4 running CamillaDSP for crossover and filtering and a Moto M4 as a multi-channel DAC for a 2.1 system. Overkill, but very flexible and doesn't compromise too much on SINAD.

See this thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...u-m4-phenomal-dsp-streamer.24493/#post-826638

A popular way (on ASR at least) to add a crossover is the miniDSP 2x4 HD.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sounds like computer is source already so you could get a cheap 5.1 or 7.1 USB (or stick with PCI) sound card and do the XO to sub digitally. Use your existing amps or buy new but you could do it for < $30 using what you've got.

OP
J

JWAmerica

Indeed, it functions fine in the current configuration, but the amplifiers aren't the best (main amp is 38 years old) and I wonder how well the $30 Xonar sound card measures versus, say, a Topping E30 DAC. The sound card is handy because of the software crossover, though there is no info on what the xover rolloff is. Perhaps I'm overthinking and overcomplicating things.

OP
J

JWAmerica

I'm strongly leaning toward getting an E30 and one of the 2.1ch dual TPA3255 amps for simplicity's sake. I'll have to send it to Amir to verify that the implementation is correct. I've seen reports that the power supply may be inadequate. Can't find much info on BRZHIFI or YJhifi amps which is concerning. Unfortunately Aiyima and FX Audio do not have an equivalent.

wwenze

Major Contributor
What's wrong with your Xonar DG?

There's also the option of routing front L/R via SPDIF out but still keep surround/sub out via 3.5mm, if you really want to use a DAC.

OP
J

JWAmerica

Technically nothing is wrong with it, I just have my doubts that a $30 sound card is on par with any of the newer external DACs. I've thought about replacing it with a newer card or a USB sound card.

I am intrigued by the possibility that the SPDIF and analog connections can be used simultaneously though. That would be quite useful.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
and I wonder how well the $30 Xonar sound card measures versus, say, a Topping E30 DAC

Well, you said "The cheaper the better" in your opening post so.... :p

Top Bottom