• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Blaster X4 / TERRATEC AUREON XFIRE 8.0 HD alternatives and opinions?....

Fabio11

Hi all/anyone that can help me.

I'm looking at devices like the Sand Blaster x4 mostly because of the price and the ability to output true 7.1 surround sound to Speakers and it has a volume knob/wheel.

Screenshot_20221123_040756_Samsung capture.jpg

It's an external sound card marketed as a dac amp also. The terratec looks similar but with rca output as well, however it doesn't work with windows 11 I don't think. I'm new to all this, so does anyone know if for the price(it's on sale now for 120.00), it would be fine or if there is some alternative to have the surround sound line outs at a relative price point?

I know when connected to the PC it allows the software to process and be configured for the surround sound. When used standalone the ouput is stereo.

The speakers I have (not buying new ones) have 3.5mm inputs and the big one has rca. I'm fine using rca to 3.5mm cable. I stream music from spotify, tidal and youtube music (I like music videos). ..all the premium plans and i only have a samsung dac dongle and the helm bolt dac mqa dongle to stream music from my Samsung z fold 4 android smartphone and my laptop that has realtec audio windows 11.

The x4 can also optical input from the TV. So then I could have surround sound for movies also.

Sorry if I post in a wrong group or don't make sense. Also, I'm not a headphone guy, I like speakers , so so many of the dac discussions don't help me. Also then the headphone part of the x4 doesn't pertain to me. I'm also not a gamer. I just want those outputs. Lol.

So I'm I thinking okay to get the x4 or is there something better? I would prefer something standalone but for the price this might have to work for me, unless someone tells me it's truly garbage and going to make my phone or PC / speakers sound worse.

Again though it's those surround sound outputs and the price that make me want it. I know the x3 has slightly better specs...but is 32 bit capability really needed? Where do I get 32 bit music to play? Also x4 is marketed to work with windows 11.

thx to anyone that can shed light on any points here (and please bear in mind I'm new to all this and on a budget),
Fabio

Top Bottom