• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound Blaster AE-9

conducator

Hi, for those people that play music through pc and looking for some upgrade, it would be nice to have a complete review of the audio card Sound Blaster AE-9. They claim
DNR/SNR DAC: 129 dB
max resolution PCM: 32-bit / 384 kHz through rca and 44-bit / 192kHz through toslink
DSD: DSD64
THD + N 0.0001% (DAC)
interchangeable opamp
fine gold Nichicon capacitors
Quite impressive, but what about sound quality?
thank you very much

Abe_W

Hi, for those people that play music through pc and looking for some upgrade, it would be nice to have a complete review of the audio card Sound Blaster AE-9. They claim
DNR/SNR DAC: 129 dB
max resolution PCM: 32-bit / 384 kHz through rca and 44-bit / 192kHz through toslink
DSD: DSD64
THD + N 0.0001% (DAC)
interchangeable opamp
fine gold Nichicon capacitors
Quite impressive, but what about sound quality?
thank you very much

The AE-9 has been in my PC for a few months and it sounds shockingly good. I am rarely switching over to my external DACs. It is probably way overkill for any gamer. For music listening, one could be surprised about the many external "audiophile" DACs that would fall apart in categories like resolution, detail, clarity, separation and so on against this PC sound card! I really don't care how it measured or not.

Smokeadvisor

Hi all,

Very nice reports regarding quality of SB AE9. I got one few days ago and the quality of listening from computer sources have been dramatically improved.
I only have a doubt regardinbg the input capability to manage instruments signals like electric guitars.
Does anyone have experience with it? I'm afraid to damage the card by using it with wrong instruments due they admit 150mVrms input, is that too low for an electric guitar?.
Thanks a lot to help on that.

Abe_W

Hi all,

Very nice reports regarding quality of SB AE9. I got one few days ago and the quality of listening from computer sources have been dramatically improved.
I only have a doubt regardinbg the input capability to manage instruments signals like electric guitars.
Does anyone have experience with it? I'm afraid to damage the card by using it with wrong instruments due they admit 150mVrms input, is that too low for an electric guitar?.
Thanks a lot to help on that.

It is crystal with a couple of condenser mics i have tried now. My guitar needs a repair before i can experiment with AE9. I will post an update.

Smokeadvisor

Hi Abe,

Thanks a lot for your reply I didn't understand very well what you said on "...My guitar needs a repair before i can experiment with AE9...." Do you mean your guitar is "broken" and need to be repaired before it works again. Or you need to handle anything on it before it can be connected to the card?

john11

The SB ae-9 takes power through the 6 pin atx connector. Is this for the card or the breakout box, or both? I have been searching but have got conflicting opinions

Brohammer40k

The SB ae-9 takes power through the 6 pin atx connector. Is this for the card or the breakout box, or both? I have been searching but have got conflicting opinions
Just the card. The breakout box/volume control uses a mini-HDMI plug with a fixed cable. Creative claims you can't swap or extend the far-too-short cable, but I'm using one of these with no problems. I highly recommend the card; had a power issue with the first one but the RMA process was painless and the replacement has been reliable for years. I've been told the XLR input isn't the best for microphones, but I was able to use it in a pinch.

Last edited:

john11

Just the card. The breakout box/volume control uses a mini-HDMI plug with a fixed cable. Creative claims you can't swap or extend the far-too-short cable, but I'm using one of these with no problems. I highly recommend the card; had a power issue with the first one but the RMA process was painless and the replacement has been reliable for years. I've been told the XLR input isn't the best for microphones, but I was able to use it in a pinch.

So i can't use the card without the 6-pin atx cable ?
Thanks

Night Hawk 19

I have AE-9 but biggest let down is line in to soundcard. Creative had awesome output but lackluster line in. Especially Mic. Creative would have just made line in just adequate to just as good as output would have hit a homerun. Also drivers need to be updated more often. Been creative user since original sooundblaster and adlib days. Awe 32 was another pivotal sound card. I love creative. Just improve line in and more frequent drivers.

Foulchet

I purchased it two years ago at 40% off (B-stock >> it lokked like new and was repackages as such, maybe it was just opened and that's all). I would never had purchased it at full price beucase I do not use that much my PC (directly close at least).
The sound is pretty good and games effects can be impressive like the RDR2 profile.
I tried a XLR mic (Marantz MPM-1000) and I have no point of comparison but this worked without issue.

The main downsize of course is that you cannot use it without your pc, therefore I do not see that much use cases where purchasing a USB interface is not better, especially if you do not use gaming DSPs.
I personnaly just liked the idea to have an internal card and at the end it perfoms well. I hesitated with other models but AE-9 was the only one with enough connectivity to justify the purchase.

I was afraid about the cable but it was also fine for me even if my case is very big (Cosmos C700P BE), I put it on top of it.

john11

I was just so plagued with pc noise that i gave up on internal soundcards. I've still got the asus stxII which i purchased before the ae-9, the elite soundblaster pro, and a few other cards.
I use hdmi now for audio and video, much better.

Top Bottom