• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sorta silly question: I want to connect one of those novelty VFD VU meter thingies - what if I only have one set of analog outputs?

robo

So, this is kinda trivial, but I ordered one of those AK2515 AudioSpectrum VFD spectrum analyzer thingies (https://www.doukaudio.com/ak2515-vf...tor-vu-meter-agc-amplifier-display-p0103.html) from eBay. Has a cool 80's looking VFD display, and runs off stereo line inputs with USB power (not sure how the two channels are handled, since they're not displayed separately, but anyway).

Problem is, what if I only have one analog output to use? I haven't bought the equipment yet, but am considering an Allo Volt+ D amplifier for my desktop setup and some decent quality desktop sized USB+Bluetooth+Dac either with an integrated heaphone amp or a separate one like a Topping L30. In all these cases, there's just one analog output to use, so I'd have to connect the spectrum analyzer to the same outputs going to the the headphone amp/preamp or actual amp, probably via RCA splitter cables.

Is this going to be a problem, audio quality wise? Seems like the spectrum analyzer should just be measuring voltage like a voltmeter, so should not actually affect the signal significantly, but I'm not sure, especially with it being a cheap device with who knows how much engineering effort put into having it be sonically unobtrusive?

Anyone know, or have better ideas?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll probably be fine with a passive splitter. All it will do is put the input impedances of the amp and analyzer in parallel most modern DACs or a preamp outs should be able to handle the load.

Top Bottom