• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sorbothane for stand mounts

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you guys have any interest in having Amir test these IsoPucks, let's propose a test. I'm actually thinking about buying a set anyway. I like the idea of my speakers not laying flat on a metal surface, but I don't know if it actually matters. For $100 I'll send a set to Amir and check it out, and have a conversation piece if nothing else.

I say we start with listening. I think with these psychoacoustic devices (I don't know why I call them that) impression is important. Amir is no different than the rest of us ... does the unboxing, installation, and listening result in a perceived improvement in sound?

And then a before and after measurement scheme of some kind. What do you guys think?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you guys have any interest in having Amir test these IsoPucks, let's propose a test. I'm actually thinking about buying a set anyway. I like the idea of my speakers not laying flat on a metal surface, but I don't know if it actually matters. For $100 I'll send a set to Amir and check it out, and have a conversation piece if nothing else.

I say we start with listening. I think with these psychoacoustic devices (I don't know why I call them that) impression is important. Amir is no different than the rest of us ... does the unboxing, installation, and listening result in a perceived improvement in sound?

And then a before and after measurement scheme of some kind. What do you guys think?

What is he supposed to measure?

He doesn't have an accelerometer, as far as I know, so measuring cabinet vibrations would be tricky.

FWIW, I use a pair of IsoAcoustics Gaia (II or III, I can't remember) under my speaker stands so can already do listening tests.

And I have the little plastic IsoAcoustics under my desktop monitors at my DAW.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is he supposed to measure?

Maybe same sort of tests in which you measure room treatment efficiency ?

I played around with heavy grant stones, tennis balls cut in half, squash balls.
As long as it's cheap and you don't it too seriously and makes you happy there is no harm ...

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Maybe same sort of tests in which you measure room treatment efficiency ?

I played around with heavy grant stones, tennis balls cut in half, squash balls.
As long as it's cheap and you don't it too seriously and makes you happy there is no harm ...

???

Sorbothane interfaces for speakers aren't room treatments....

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, of course not.
My point is just if there's anything to measure, what would you measure ?

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think he could do one or two of each of the normal speaker tests, distortion, freq resp, distribution LOL? the waterfall one and see if the numbers change with the Pods.

Use a low distortion speaker to see if it improves, or a high distortion one will be easier to tell?

Amir wasn't sure what to test so he wanted me to ask you guys what you think before he agrees to test 'em. You guys think it's worth his time? We have to have a good set of tests that are quick.

Distortion and phase relationships (?) should be improved if the speaker is moving without the pods, but moving less with them.

I think they'd be useful for people using them on a desk or any flat surface, to reduce the surface area of the speaker transferring vibrations to the stand/desk/w/e.

Less vibrations, less stray sound. Less vibrations, more precise and constant position of drivers.

Are these effects measureable?

Are they audible?

Is the process of installing them and touching them give you an impression, sonically or otherwise, that makes the listener (in this case, Amir) think they're improving the sound?

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Does it need to be that specialized stuff, or can I use something simpler like this?

borracha-esponjosa-retangular-06.jpg

seams to be 35 shore, so pretty soft.
my logic says me as long as it compresses in a certain way it will result kind of in the same?

6speed

@watchnerd

Could we measure a speaker with and without decoupling or absorbent (sorbothane or else) and see any difference ?

I have use sorbothane before, experimenting with the area and thickness. In extreme cases, it can make a difference I could feel with your hand, but not enough that I was able to measure an improvement with a mic. Do it because it's a fun project and you like overengineering your already heavy speakers, not because your flimsy speakers need a band aid.

Keep in mind that it is really tacky and behaves like a PSA. If you use a surface area of any significance and then put a lot of weight on it, you may have a hard time prying objects apart. I deliberately covered mine in lint just to reduce the adhesive power, and it's still impressively strong.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does it need to be that specialized stuff, or can I use something simpler like this?

borracha-esponjosa-retangular-06.jpg

seams to be 35 shore, so pretty soft.
my logic says me as long as it compresses in a certain way it will result kind of in the same?
Loss tangents vary among elastomers. Ditto rebound time. Durometer is an important number, but very insufficient when looked at in isolation.

UCrazyKid

Sorbothane has pretty unique properties. You are not going to find the same results from a foam block like that.

Zoomer

Not Sorbothane, but any thoughts on these?
Stabren Industrie (la pièce)

Conception
2 plaques d’élastomère à base de Polychloroprène (35 ShoreA)
1 plaque d'EPDM 25 ShoreA.
Généralités
Dimensions : 200 x 200 x 20 mm
Poids : environ 580 g
Charge maximale : 1 tonne par socle (2,5 kg/cm²)
Charge minimale recommandée : 4 kg

Last edited:
Top Bottom