• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sorbothane for stand mounts

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

puppet

A strip of painters tape on the underside of the speaker should alleviate your concerns of veneer peel.

Lavawood

Forum Donor
I think you want a rigid transfer of energy all the way to the floor, ideally no give anywhere.
If you can rigidly bolt those to the stand or use spikes and pads, do that. Use spikes on the bottom of your stands always. Always level the stands and insure there’s no rocking or give in the floor. This will give you the best imaging and make them disappear. Save the sorbothane for your TT.

I use blue tac because of kids, pets, others...
Never had an accident and it’s plenty rigid. Just be careful dismounting... lay the assembly over and let the speaker weight decouple it, don’t force it, especially after sitting for years.

D8B83F07-237E-466C-B0A7-65C02289665E.jpeg
8FDE2AC2-82B0-4E1B-AC77-D38314FC3D49.jpeg

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think you want a rigid transfer of energy all the way to the floor, ideally no give anywhere.
If you can rigidly bolt those to the stand or use spikes and pads, do that. Use spikes on the bottom of your stands always. Always level the stands and insure there’s no rocking or give in the floor. This will give you the best imaging and make them disappear. Save the sorbothane for your TT.

I use blue tac because of kids, pets, others...
Never had an accident and it’s plenty rigid. Just be careful dismounting... lay the assembly over and let the speaker weight decouple it, don’t force it, especially after sitting for years.

View attachment 110470
View attachment 110471

Yes, the stand is currently bolted directly to the bottom of the speakers.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there an accepted practice with speakers as to whether isolation from the floor or rigid coupling to the floor is better? I recently replaced my turntable feet with isoAcoustics Giaia feet. They were much cheaper than replacement VPI feet. They do a great job there but were designed as speaker feet.

That's the $64 question. There are claims either way.

Rigid couplers claim that it allows vibrations to go down into the floor and reduce Doppler modulation of the tweeter by the woofer.

Squishy-philes claim it is better to prevent the floor or shelf from becoming a driven vibrator by the speakers, or... vice versa.

You can solve everything by... by Maggies

or Quads

brimble

Forum Donor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There are butyl and silicone sealing tapes that are somewhat similar to blutak but probably won't come off as cleanly. I'd probably use black insulating tape, using a hole punch to get a neat disc.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Blue Tack to mask annoying LEDs on the fronts of components. I'd really like to get it in black, but I'm having trouble shopping for it because "Blue Tack" is a brand name and it's not obvious what the generic name for it is. I've managed to find some in white but not yet black. Any advice anyone please?

I think the generic name is "mounting putty", even though it's actually a synthetic rubber. I vaguely remember a non-Bostik brand (Uhu, maybe?) having something similar in black.

brimble

Forum Donor
I think the generic name is "mounting putty", even though it's actually a synthetic rubber. I vaguely remember a non-Bostik brand (Uhu, maybe?) having something similar in black.

Awesome. Thank you!

I haven't yet found a black mounting putty that isn't designed to harden, but I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

6speed

Sorbothane sheets come with plastic on both sides. Just get a small sheet and cut some strips or squares. Leave the plastic on the speaker side (or both sides) and you won’t have to worry about removing it later. Since you’re bolting the speaker down, you don’t need the Sorbothane’s tackiness to hold everything in place.

chips666

What do they do?

The speakers are already bolted to the top plate of the stand, so I don't need something that is just sticky like glue.

Hi, they isolate vibrations going from speaker to stand
Enjoy...

Top Bottom