• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

Rate this smartphone audio

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

oversky

FYI I gave up and bought the Samsung S23 Ultra. It is so heavy it almost pulls my pants down when in the pocket! :D The performance is impressive though and usability quite high due to size of the display. Already miss the headphone jack though. :(.....
May we expect some bluetooth earphone review coming up? :D

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Out of necessity, sure. :)
Or a sudden blossoming of interest in audio dongles? Actually the most interesting test might be of the audio capabilities of the S23 Ultra itself. Few of the phone review sites even bother with evaluating audio and those tests which are done seem perfunctory.

Bernard23

I have an LG V30 and V50. Both work well with IEMs, latter drives my LCD-X reasonably well too.
The V50 is capable of long term hearing damage with my Dunu EST 112 IEMs.
Additionally, I can stream to my hifi system over hi res Bluetooth, so can access the Toneboosters PEQ plugin in the UAPP app. My V50 is running Android 12, so still some life left in it.
Camera is crap though.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Apple's iPhones have analog out with a dongle.

I also have an older portable DAC (Oppo HA 2) which you can rubber band to an iPhone and play hi res using the Onkyo APP

But I found myself using the more convenient Bluetooth connection the most.
Bluetooth just sucks though for car audio, especailly since the best codec I've seen in a car is AAC and that is rare as heck. Most are using SBC still today.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluetooth just sucks though for car audio, especailly since the best codec I've seen in a car is AAC and that is rare as heck. Most are using SBC still today.
Yup. The best car audio is still via Wired Apple CarPlay which is uncompressed PCM.

Wireless CarPlay uses AAC-LC for media and OPUS or AAC-ELD for everything else

xeizo

My car has E-sim and WiFi, no problems with car audio I use Tidal as usual and it sounds great

starfly

Forum Donor
Don't know why anyone even cares about the sound quality in a car? There's a ton of ambient noise coming from outside, completely destroying any kind of fidelity there might be. Who cares if it's Bluetooth SBC or lossless. I really can't hear the difference in a car, and frankly, it's the place I care the least about audio fidelity. As long as it sounds good enough (like not having very cheap speakers where the bass completely distorts on everything).

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I can definitely tell the difference between Sirius radio and Tidal

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Don't know why anyone even cares about the sound quality in a car? There's a ton of ambient noise coming from outside, completely destroying any kind of fidelity there might be. Who cares if it's Bluetooth SBC or lossless. I really can't hear the difference in a car, and frankly, it's the place I care the least about audio fidelity. As long as it sounds good enough (like not having very cheap speakers where the bass completely distorts on everything).
SBC sounds like I am playing music through a wet paper towel.
I use the 3.5mm Jack out of my Sony into AUX input and it sounds a million times better.
In the only car I cannot have AUX in I have an iPod touch with Spotify.

Saidera

This post reminds me that I did request measurements of the Xperia 1 II back in the day, and now that request has come true!

It's really disappointing to see virtually no features meet consumer needs. The Xperia can be made great with all their technologies, but somehow it's just not able to happen...

JnL

@amirm The only reason on buying Xperias and other Sony products it's because of DSEE HX/Ultimate AI Upscaling (and 8K video as well). Pity that Sony don't use ESS Sabre DACs like formerly LG done.

lewdish

@amirm The only reason on buying Xperias and other Sony products it's because of DSEE HX/Ultimate AI Upscaling (and 8K video as well). Pity that Sony don't use ESS Sabre DACs like formerly LG done.
Walkman's used to use a Sony Proprietary DAC, not sure today if they switched to AKM/ROHM/ESS/CL. Personally when it comes to phones I really dont care about the DAC so long as the output power is decent, Sad to see the 5 mk4 have such low output tho curious if the 1mk4 shares the same output. I mostly just hate carrying around a dongle, so I'm going to be switching to a phone in the future w/ a headphone jack again.

raif71

Major Contributor
Recently I bought the Redmi 12 note pro with headphone out. It has NFC but lacks 5G. Currently it runs Android 13 with latest update.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Walkman's used to use a Sony Proprietary DAC, not sure today if they switched to AKM/ROHM/ESS/CL. Personally when it comes to phones I really dont care about the DAC so long as the output power is decent, Sad to see the 5 mk4 have such low output tho curious if the 1mk4 shares the same output. I mostly just hate carrying around a dongle, so I'm going to be switching to a phone in the future w/ a headphone jack again.
Or much better yet, go Bluetooth. The sound quality found these days is absolutely up to the standards of the best wired headphones. No doubt about that at all. People who say they can hear the difference are fooling themselves and simply experiencing expectation bias because they test sighted.

NDRQ

Or much better yet, go Bluetooth. The sound quality found these days is absolutely up to the standards of the best wired headphones. No doubt about that at all. People who say they can hear the difference are fooling themselves and simply experiencing expectation bias because they test sighted.
Thats not really true, all wireless formats have problems with the quality of the signal, not to mention that most wireless headphone are not that great in terms of sound quality.
They are great for listening on the go, noise isolating, headset function, mobility, but not for hi-fi use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom