• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Xperia 5 IV Audio Review

Rate this smartphone audio

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

xeizo

Yes. I had the G7 (19.5:9 ratio) bought it as a DAP (was on sale) Sadly the battery bloated. I also like my V Mark 2. The mark 4 is afaik prone to overheating and only plus over mark 2 is wireless charging (unlike Armir i dont care about that)

The screen is twice as powerful in nits, and the cpu is a whole lot more powerful, overheating is only when recording 4k video. I never do that.

Bam!

The screen is twice as powerful in nits, and the cpu is a whole lot more powerful, overheating is only when recording 4k video. I never do that.
Correct. I am leaning to the upcoming S23+ with 512GB but the Mark IV is also on the shortlist.

w1000i

Forum Donor
BTW, if someone wants to buy this for what I paid for it, I am happy to sell it to you given the higher retail cost now.

ZTE nubia Red Magic 8 Pro
Is a new phone with 3.5 audio jack with 6000mha battery

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Good luck in "changing". Every network has the same rules. Our government here in the USA does nothing to regulate wireless companies.
AT&T doesn't allow non certified phones (or even certified phones that they don't sell)
Verizon doesn't allow non certified phones (or any phone they don't sell).
T-mobile partially allows non verified phones but restricts the actual performance to nothing unless it's certified. It also depends on what market you are in as far as what tower bands you can use with a non certified phone.

So basically of the 3 networks in the USA; all 3 have the same rules. Specs don't matter. Phone market duopoly matters with Samsung and Apple. They killed off LG with this garbage and Sony now remains as the only certified option. Even most Motorola phones don't count these days, unlocked means nothing since it has to be on that network or purchased directly from that network.
Yes a real shame about LG. I have a G7 that I use to video record when I play drums so that I can critique my playing (just a hobby player) and I currently have a G8 as my actual phone. I very much prefer the LG UI and I dread needing to replace it. My provider has mostly loaded up on Samsung, not a fan of their UI at all, iPhones, certainly have less than Zero interest in anything iPhone, a few ZTE, Alcatel, Google and Motorola phones. I would be interested in the Edge 30 Ultra I think, but alas they don't carry it. They used to carry Sony, a company I would consider, but not anymore. I may be stuck with Samsung. How I miss LG.

dartinbout

So it seems that refurbished LG G- and V- series is the only option for those who want a decent music player within a phone?
I've had LG phones since the V10. I kept the V20 for 6 years. Once you find a HP, that you like, that's over 50 ohm, you now have a a powerful DAP as well as a decent camera, and a phone. Having AIO device is priceless IMHO. Icing on the cake, a few years after enjoying the ability to swap out batteries (giving virtually immortal functionality) it got LDAC! I just upgraded to a V60. Same great taste and a 5000 nic-mh battery, fast charging and a 2nd screen. Personally, I think consuming video content on a phone is ridiculous. I've got 4k TV, a 4k monitor and a 4k projector for that.

I could go on for a few more paragraphs about the specs of this phone, but there is really nothing to compare how good this tech is, for me. YMMV

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I tend to agree that people often seemed obsessed with the best specifications, even when they will never actually benefit in any meaningful way from them. I am not at all afraid of any technology, but I do abhor wasting money that could be spent elsewhere. My G8 is the only phone that I had an accident with and cracked the screen, and that is the only reason I am even considering getting a new phone. I don't absolutely need to do so though, the crack is fortunately at the bottom and has very little cosmetic impact and no technical impact.

I wish that Samsung didn't have such a yuck UI experience, but for me anyway it doesn't compare to LG. As well, giving up a slot for SD memory is a bitter pill. Cloud storage is a very, very, poor alternative to local storage. Yes I know for backing things up, absolutely external storage, but for your daily access to storage, using cloud storage is really not a great plan. You give up actually controlling your own data, and you are completely exposed to the vendor changing the terms of agreement at their discretion. The reason phone companies are driving you people to need cloud storage, or purchase extremely expensive top storage capacity models is they make their biggest returns there.

The humble SD slot that was once so common is something I think consumers should be pushing back on and asking phone companies to include them. Certainly if you are paying $1000 plus for a phone, no freaking way you should have to consider cloud storage. Simply egregious IMO.

Oso Polar

I tend to agree that people often seemed obsessed with the best specifications, even when they will never actually benefit in any meaningful way from them.
Problem is that certain things are present only in the flagship models, especially best cameras. For example, in US now there are just two Android phones with top quality cameras - Google Pixel 7 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Well, may be Pixel 6 Pro also, though technically it is a previous generation. Nothing else. Out of these only S22 Ultra has a good battery life. So, stylus, most powerful processor, curved screen edges and other bells and whistles come as a package, doesn't matter you need them or not. It is the same situation as with cars - you want heated seats, so you must get an upgraded entertainment system package!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Problem is that certain things are present only in the flagship models, especially best cameras. For example, in US now there are just two Android phones with top quality cameras - Google Pixel 7 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra. Well, may be Pixel 6 Pro also, though technically it is a previous generation. Nothing else. Out of these only S22 Ultra has a good battery life. So, stylus, most powerful processor, curved screen edges and other bells and whistles come as a package, doesn't matter you need them or not. It is the same situation as with cars - you want heated seats, so you must get an upgraded entertainment system package!
I agree, it has always been that way, but I think the removal of an SD slot was akin to removing a basic feature and clearly designed to force people into an upgrade cycle faster than would have to be if onboard storage was expandable. I hope people really regret letting LG exit the marketplace. Their phones were always solid, never spectacular, and represented solid middle ground between affordability and advanced features. Less competition is absolutely always bad for the consumer. I was astounded to see how some people even cheered LG exiting the smartphone marketplace. Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Heck I still have a G4 where I can change the battery with ease. LG in my mind were probably the most consumer value focused brand who still aimed to almost have a flagship contender model, leaving it just a little behind the true leaders. I miss LG. Sigh. Now I'm stuck with paying too much for fluffy features and crippled usefulness.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've had LG phones since the V10. I kept the V20 for 6 years. Once you find a HP, that you like, that's over 50 ohm, you now have a a powerful DAP as well as a decent camera, and a phone. Having AIO device is priceless IMHO. Icing on the cake, a few years after enjoying the ability to swap out batteries (giving virtually immortal functionality) it got LDAC! I just upgraded to a V60. Same great taste and a 5000 nic-mh battery, fast charging and a 2nd screen. Personally, I think consuming video content on a phone is ridiculous. I've got 4k TV, a 4k monitor and a 4k projector for that.

I could go on for a few more paragraphs about the specs of this phone, but there is really nothing to compare how good this tech is, for me. YMMV
I'm this close to buying a backup V60..

xeizo

LG G7 was good for what it was, but Xperia 5 IV is a solid upgrade. MUCH better battery life, better screen(120Hz OLED), twice the memory, much faster storage(UFS 3.1), both IP65 and IP68, much more powerful SOC, Android 13, better cameras even if not being the current best(in fact, nothing wrong with the cameras but other brands has stronger post processing going on), still 1TB sdcard storage and the sound quality of the 3.5mm jack is certainly good enough unless you plan to use really troublesome headphones. The built in speakers is the best sounding I have heard on ANY phone very crisp sounding, I like it a lot.

Last edited:

dartinbout

I'm this close to buying a backup V60..
If you don't mind getting a V60, without the 2nd screen\case, they can be had pretty cheap, for 5G (I know it's not a universally available cell phone protocol, but I live in SF and it's got pretty good coverage). The Quad Dac still rocks, the 5000 battery was designed for the 2nd screen, so without that, it's got legs. It's got fast charging, YouTube looks OK, but if you think I'm going to choose to watch a 4K, with DD 5.1, "The Mandolorian" on this, as opposed to a real screen, you're a real nerf herder.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
LG G7 was good for what it was, but Xperia 5 IV is a solid upgrade. MUCH better battery life, better screen(120Hz OLED), twice the memory, much faster storage(UFS 3.1), both IP65 and IP68, much more powerful SOC, Android 13, better cameras even if not being the current best(in fact, nothing wrong with cameras but other brands has stronger post processing going on), still 1TB sdcard storage and the sound quality of the 3.5mm jack is certainly good enough unless you plan to use really troublesome headphones. The built in speakers is the best sounding I have heard on ANY phone very crisp sounding, I like it a lot.

If you don't mind getting a V60, without the 2nd screen\case, they can be had pretty cheap, for 5G (I know it's not a universally available cell phone protocol, but I live in SF and it's got pretty good coverage). The Quad Dac still rocks, the 5000 battery was designed for the 2nd screen, so without that, it's got legs. It's got fast charging, YouTube looks OK, but if you think I'm going to choose to watch a 4K, with DD 5.1, "The Mandolorian" on this, as opposed to a real screen, you're a real nerf herder.
Sure I've already got one I've been using for the last year, just pondering getting a second in case of phone apocalypse. I posted on another thread my battery test which yielded a playback time of more than 70 hours for the V60 using USBAPP.

julian_hughes

I wish that Samsung didn't have such a yuck UI experience, but for me anyway it doesn't compare to LG. ..
One of the great things about Android is that you can change that as easily as installing an app. They're called launchers (I guess from app launchers) but actually they can change layout, icons, homescreens, backgrounds, everything visual in fact, and you can make your phone look and work as you like. I use one called Nova Launcher which is on Google Play. I used it on My Galaxy Note II years ago, then my LG V20, then a couple of Sony Xperias and now on a Samsung A52s. My phones have pretty much looked and behaved the same for years, regardless of manufacturer and vendor UI. No root required and it works just the same on a network supplied phone as on one you bought independently. Another benefit is that if you have a tablet of a a different brand with a different UI you can install it on that as well and have a uniform experience across Android versions, makers, networks etc.

xeizo

I use the Microsoft Launcher, it's very similar to Nova but is more lightweight and uses less resources

Jimster480

Major Contributor
So true. The screen on the MK IV Xperia is way brighter even than the MK III (my wife has it). I could take a side by side picture to try to show it off.
I haven't had my phone overheat once, even with 4k video it takes a little while. I made a 3 minute video and it wasn't a problem. It is mostly related to HDR 4k 120fps recording or maybe very long 4k 60hz recording?
I left mine recording a 4k 30hz video for 10 minutes and nothing happened.
Yes a real shame about LG. I have a G7 that I use to video record when I play drums so that I can critique my playing (just a hobby player) and I currently have a G8 as my actual phone. I very much prefer the LG UI and I dread needing to replace it. My provider has mostly loaded up on Samsung, not a fan of their UI at all, iPhones, certainly have less than Zero interest in anything iPhone, a few ZTE, Alcatel, Google and Motorola phones. I would be interested in the Edge 30 Ultra I think, but alas they don't carry it. They used to carry Sony, a company I would consider, but not anymore. I may be stuck with Samsung. How I miss LG.
I was in the same boat as you. My G7 was my backup phone and what I use for streaming music when I sleep or around my house. My G8 was my actual phone until I got the Sony Xperia 1 Iv.
The launcher is pretty shit and the lack of customization sucks. However I used the pear launcher and fixed my launcher woes. I'm still stuck with ugly colors for the notifications at the moment but supposedly Sony is working on that for the future.
The phone works great though and battery life, speakers and screen are amazing. I have a 65" Sony A8H master series TV and the phone really has true to life colors like my master series does. Looks better than my 55" LG C1 in my office.
The speakers are so good that it makes my LG G8 sound like a wet paper towel. Headphone output is anemic (I'm glad @amirm messured it) because it confirmed my suspicions that it doesn't even hit 1V. Complete crap compared to the G8 that could run any headphone. However these days I don't often listen to music straight from my phone with headphones unless it's Bluetooth ANC headphones while I work outside on property maintenance. I do however use it for AUX in 3 of my cars and it works fine. No background noise and sounds better even than my car that has AAC codec for BT.

The "basic mode" quick camera is not as good as my LG G8 because the software likes to push HDR when you don't want it. However the telephoto lens and optical zoom are pretty awesome, but the camera app just makes the experience worse than Samsung phones of today.
I don't take so many pictures though and I feel as if the app is "good enough" for everyday images captured around the house for work, or of my kids for the holidays (took plenty of Christmas pictures on it).

The dual app mode, gobs of ram and long battery life combined with the incredible app performance offsets the downsides for me. Connectivity is awesome with Red Pocket ($18/mo 8Gb LTE/5G) to the point that I have done remote desktop work from the phone while in an amusement park to be able to restart my servers / copy files from one system to another / queue up downloads via 5G (non UW).
The performance makes my dad's A53 Samsung look like it came from last decade and my G8 (which I used to think was fast) look like a dialup based 1990s desktop. Some page loads in Firefox are literally 10x as fast, but on average 3x as fast.
I use the Microsoft Launcher, it's very similar to Nova but is more lightweight and uses less resources
Pear launcher is good as I mentioned above. Lots of customizations and very lightweight.
Sure I've already got one I've been using for the last year, just pondering getting a second in case of phone apocalypse. I posted on another thread my battery test which yielded a playback time of more than 70 hours for the V60 using USBAPP.
I have a LG Velvet as a business line now since my G7 wasn't supposed to work anymore and it's coverage is great too. Screen looks good and battery life is good. However still a joke compared to the Sony in terms of color accuracy, speakers (not volume but clarity and tonality) and performance. However about 1/5th of the price.... So there is that!
I agree, it has always been that way, but I think the removal of an SD slot was akin to removing a basic feature and clearly designed to force people into an upgrade cycle faster than would have to be if onboard storage was expandable. I hope people really regret letting LG exit the marketplace. Their phones were always solid, never spectacular, and represented solid middle ground between affordability and advanced features. Less competition is absolutely always bad for the consumer. I was astounded to see how some people even cheered LG exiting the smartphone marketplace. Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Heck I still have a G4 where I can change the battery with ease. LG in my mind were probably the most consumer value focused brand who still aimed to almost have a flagship contender model, leaving it just a little behind the true leaders. I miss LG. Sigh. Now I'm stuck with paying too much for fluffy features and crippled usefulness.
I agree completely. I used HTC until it was gone and then went for LG. My last HTC was the 10 because I didn't like the direction HTC went after that with the U11 and U12. Got a G7 instead as an upgrade and then the G8. I really wish LG wouldn't have left the phone market. As much of a bad rap as they got; most of the phones literally lasted forever with proper care. LG also provided total system unlocks to its customers so even 3rd party Roms could be loaded to keep them alive longer!

KikoKentaurus

The only thing that seem to be not so well designed, is their stock ROM.. However, I'm yet going to check how that looks in the newer versions (like your V60). I'm still happy with my G7 though

That's a BIG loss for us, that LG decided to suspend their smartphone business; that's just another confirmation of a simple thought: the best things tend to be unpopular

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The only thing that seem to be not so well designed, is their stock ROM.. However, I'm yet going to check how that looks in the newer versions (like your V60). I'm still happy with my G7 though

That's a BIG loss for us, that LG decided to suspend their smartphone business; that's just another confirmation of a simple thought: the best things tend to be unpopular
Yep; people buy marketing and price. Samsung and Apple own the market with all their "free" phones tied to everyones "contracts" and their yearly upgrade cycle.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

FWIW Roon loads faster on my sub $200 V60 than on my new Pixel 7. LGs implementation of Android 12 is perfectly fine (with the usual and quite fixable launcher exception). Android Assistant easily dispenses with LG start-up bloatware, boots with Nova in a minute (50% faster than the Pixel).

Last edited:
Lol dope to see lots of people talkin bout the v60. And also the LG phone love . One thing tho, my v60 keeps turning itself on when I've turned it off to charge. ...I guess the battery has lasted pretty nicely (I laid out for the qualcomm 4+ charger, and also was far more obsessive than nearly anyone else would be as far trying to protect the life of the battery). This thing definitely doesn't drive anything other than sensitive earphones to satisfying volumes...I got mine used, lookin close to new, maybe a handful of months after it came out, have used it intensely, gettin a little annoyed by the battery being worn. Sucks lg's gone ...Gonna be looking into this not having "android resampling" the audio signal business, my ignorant ass is just hearing about this

Top Bottom