• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony XBR75 X940D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm jazzed, ordered my Sony XBR75 X940D at Best Buy today.
They have special Super Bowl pricing and I couldn't resist even though no way I should be spending $4k on a TV. Won't be here till the 10th but that's fine as long as it's rocking for Daytona Speed Week and the 500 wOOt.
Will post a follow up after things are cookin and I do a calibration.....
Sony75xWall.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What is it replacing?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 65

I'm jazzed, ordered my Sony XBR75 X940D at Best Buy today.
They have special Super Bowl pricing and I couldn't resist even though no way I should be spending $4k on a TV. Won't be here till the 10th but that's fine as long as it's rocking for Daytona Speed Week and the 500 wOOt.
Will post a follow up after things are cookin and I do a calibration.....
View attachment 5401

Nice TV, Daytona 500 has been on my bucket list since I bought my first bike way back ...

1965_Honda_CB450_Left_Side_resize.jpg

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice TV, Daytona 500 has been on my bucket list since I bought my first bike way back ...

1965_Honda_CB450_Left_Side_resize.jpg
Sweet Honda, Don't ya wish you owned one in that condition today!

D

Deleted member 65

Sweet Honda, Don't ya wish you owned one in that condition today!

I sure could have another CB450, crashed it when 19. Barely survived as did the girl sitting behind me, other bikes & girls followed eventually ...

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I sure could have another CB450, crashed it when 19. Barely survived as did the girl sitting behind me, other bikes & girls followed eventually ...
Glad you both survived! I had a number of those occurrences in my 50+ years on 2 wheels, not fun at all. :eek:

That was always the deal, If you had one of them (bike), you could get plenty of them (girls). :cool:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
What the f.... You spending on tv's when you could of bought 7 series JBL monitors for the same wonga...

Got to be a sanctioning offence surely... Still we all going round yours for Star Wars rogue one on blue ray?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What the f.... You spending on tv's when you could of bought 7 series JBL monitors for the same wonga...

Got to be a sanctioning offence surely... Still we all going round yours for Star Wars rogue one on blue ray?
Dang, just finished my current MCH rig. :( (Never really finished are we)

Come on by, I'll even surrender the sweet spot seat.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ok mate, but hope your new glow box was made in the USA though ..
Of course it was, I'll even write it on the bottom right bezel to prove it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the Daytona 500 now the Daytona 167 x three?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Isn't the Daytona 500 now the Daytona 167 x three?
Not really, just new ways of scoring Championship points throughout the races to keep driving at a more aggressive level at all times. Not really anything new, back in the day drivers were scored extra points for leading at the halfway point, leading the most laps, etc. A good thing IMO.
It's hard to understand the fickleness of people and their fads. Nascar is trying to figure out ways of reigniting the yuppie Nascar fans of the 1990s. They overbuilt at the time to accommodate them back then, and now that they've moved on to soccer or some such crap and they're struggling in the loss of numbers. They should have realized then that people are either Motorsports people or they just don't get it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I attended various Daytona Races a few times around 1971.

Lived in Jacksonville, was friends with Mike Vogel. His dad was the GM of Brumos Porsche/Mercedes.

019-300x243.jpg

That's Mike, as I remember him. Tall and skinny. He raced a 100cc Kawasaki, and and 250 Bultaco at that time, early motocross before the giant jumps came along.

That car looks real familiar, too. He had a silver 911 that was rebuilt from two that had been in front and rear end wrecks. Had race tires. three of us in it, on a drive to St Augustine, had a flat. I was steering the car with body weight in the back seat, then couldn't hold it straight. We stopped, he looked at the flat, kept going 60mph for another 10 miles or so. Riding around the neighborhood, taking 90 degree corners, it would lift a tire. 6 open bell-mouth carbs make a nice sound.

Mike invited me to take a Parade Lap around the trioval before some unknown race in one of the first 914's to be imported.

That was before the expansion of construction in the infield. You could buy a ticket to get into the pits, or just sneak in when they weren't looking.

I watched Enzo Ferrari from behind the pit wall, in his shiny shoes and expensive overcoat, impatiently standing behind the car, glaring at his crew trying to fix some problem during a 24 Hours. Porsche won by 150 miles or so.

Stock cars were still based on stock cars back then.

Video: Biggest Crash Ever at Daytona...

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Speedweek opens on Feb 16 with Arca practice in late afternoon.
Cry Havok, and let slip the dogs of war!

Top Bottom