• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony WH-1000XM4 Review (noise cancelling headphone)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some short insight on the EQ options within their own app (for previous gen., hope it doesn't differ much):

Only 5-band custom setting but better then nothing or just presets..

+ all presets visualised /src

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Hi thanks,

Might have been those.
I thought the other one was something much much ore expensive.

But if I am given a chance, I'll give the AKG a try...
Used, they should not go for a sum I cannot afford :)

Regards.
Not sure how you feel about earbuds/IEMs, but the Samsung Galaxy Buds ($79) and Galaxy Buds+ ($110) should have a similar frequency response. They're also made by Harman with the same target curve in mind.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some short insight on the EQ options within their own app (for previous gen., hope it does't differs much):
That graphic eq with a few bands has no prayer of correcting for the response errors. They are just standard tonality shifts.

Jimmy

But the tested version wasn't wireless, from my experience the best (relatively affordable) sounding wireless headphones in passive mode are the Shure Aonic 50, they also have a built in USB dac, and sound good in all modes out of the box, but ANC is much better on the Sony's.

For the record, I haven't listened to the Amiron Wireless, the Airpod's Max or the B&O H95.

AKG K371 fared pretty well even without EQ.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
But the tested version wasn't wireless, from my experience the best (relatively affordable) sounding wireless headphones in passive mode are the Shure Aonic 50, they also have a built in USB dac, and sound good in all modes out of the box, but ANC is much better on the Sony's.

For the record, I haven't listened to the Amiron Wireless, the Airpod's Max or the B&O H95.
There's a Bluetooth version of the K371s, the K371-BT ($179).

jcebedo11

I bought the 2nd version. It is the worst sounding headphones I have heard at the price. The people giving rave reviews have no idea what good headphones sound like.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At what $$ level does that something that requires equalization to be listenable to not automatically get a headless panther?
"None" because testing them in passive mode is totally absurd.

That's like buying a sports car and testing the performance using the included mini "donut" spare tire. Actually this is probably even more absurd.

Passive mode is there simply as a fallback in case the battery dies in the middle of a flight or a call or something, so you can at least continue using it... otherwise you'd be totally screwed. Who buys active noise canceling headphones to use them in passive mode?!?

I mean, making passive mode part of the test is fine. That's good info. But making it the focus of the review is.... just wow, a headscratcher.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I bought the 2nd version. It is the worst sounding headphones I have heard at the price.
Is that with or without the noise cancelling turned on?

I've had the XM2s for a few years and have been very happy with them for their intended usage - i.e. blocking ambient noise and listening to low level background music while travelling on public transport which I do a couple of times a month. I would judge their out of the box sound (over Bluetooth and with NC active) to be better than any of my wired headphones without EQ.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I've never heard a Sony headphone that I liked other than some old cassette Walkman headphones offered in the 80's and 90's.
Well they had couple of slips by accident which warent all that bad like HF755 and HF750 (overblown Harman) EMI's and one over ear series 7 which followed traditional Japanese - Onkyo tuning and whosent available outside Japan until relatively recently.
The XM4 is absolutely horrible in any manner.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"None" because testing them in passive mode is totally absurd.

That's like buying a sports car and testing the performance using the included mini "donut" spare tire. Actually this is probably even more absurd.

Passive mode is there simply as a fallback in case the battery dies in the middle of a flight or a call or something, so you can at least continue using it... otherwise you'd be totally screwed. Who buys active noise canceling headphones to use them in passive mode?!?

I mean, making passive mode part of the test is fine. That's good info. But making it the focus of the review is.... just wow, a headscratcher.

Hi,

Mind you, I'll NEVER EVER pay more than 50 or 60 euros for headphones that work good in active mode only and offer no passive mode.

Because : if electronics fail AND/OR when battery will (inevitably) fail, you have scrap metal/plastic. So I will not move to the B&O H95 and stick to the H9 for wireless usage.

But of course, this is only a personal POV of a an old conservative european guy... and I will not force my views of durability upon any member of this forum.

Regards.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Mind you, I'll NEVER EVER pay more than 50 or 60 euros for headphones that work good in active mode only and offer no passive mode.

Because : if electronics fail AND/OR when battery will (inevitably) fail, you have scrap metal/plastic. So I will not move to the B&O H95 and stick to the H9 for wireless usage.

But of course, this is only a personal POV of a an old conservative european guy... and I will not force my views of durability upon any member of this forum.

Regards.
All my headphones/earphones are wired. The mouse and keyboard are hardwired and I like it that way. No lag and no batteries to die. :D

firedog

I have the previous xm3 model. These headphones are clearly intended for users who want noise cancellation. If you don't want that, you shouldn't buy these.
I find the SQ in active NC mode okay, but the noise cancellation and comfort are top notch. If you are in a bus, train, plane, car, or other environment with lots of ambient noise these things are great. Prevent noise fatigue and are enjoyable to listen to.

Just for music listening, I'd buy something else. I have a pair of custom fitted IEMs that in terms of music listening only are far superior for about the same price. But I prefer the Sony's when outside the home b/c of the noise cancelling. It works much better than even the isolation of the custom IEMs.

The battery lasts close to 30 hours in playback with noise cancelling, so that isn't an issue.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I have the XM3, got it for a steal through a discount from my employer. I even use the NC when working from home and I have to focus, because it blocks out so much noise (ventilation, cars going by etc).

On my phone I use Wavelet, because it doesn't sound great without it. Though the standard AutoEQ profile dropped the bass a bit too much, so I pulled that up a bit but not where as close as the massive bass boost it has out of the box. If you are using them on Android you should really try Wavelet.

Don't use the passive mode, I also have an Oppo PM3 which sound much better. But when its noisy I prefer the Sony, even though the PM'3 seal pretty well.

Top Bottom