• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Tapecorder 101 Review (Vintage Reel to Reel)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 17.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 42.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 44 31.2%

• Total voters

Zensō

Major Contributor
OK, so I planned this April Fools' joke for almost a year, only to have it go down as a dud. :) Teaches me to not pull stunts like this in the future!

I can take solace in seeing no one figuring out where the measurements came from. It was from my Nakamichi measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-nakamichi-dragon-cassette-deck.5595/

index.php

I went in Photoshop and extended the peaks in FFT to 0 dB. This is why SINAD didn't agree with it. :D

Was originally thinking about faking the whole measurement but didn't know how to make it look like tape measurements.

The deck is real by the way. I have yet to power it on but it looks really nice and cute. I don't have any small tape reels to put on it and that is something I need to buy.
This was a great April Fools’ gag!

eriksson

Forum Donor
For sale: Sony Tapecorder 101.
Just got it off ebay so unsure about condition.
On second thought, I will just pack it in a huge box with stones and sawdust - and ship it to to Amir!

MCH

Major Contributor
That's why the measurement was two channels... And people still giving lessons....fools day! haha

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But do you really own this machine? The pink panther is photoshopped or not? I really like how it looks and voted it as a golfing panther.
I do own it. No photoshop there.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh dear, second time I've been fooled this year by an audio measurement site's post XD

This shows how easy it is for rare products to be misrepresented.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so I planned this April Fools' joke for almost a year, only to have it go down as a dud. :) Teaches me to not pull stunts like this in the future!
[..]
I went in Photoshop and extended the peaks in FFT to 0 dB. This is why SINAD didn't agree with it. :D
:D:D:D:D:D

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

I can take solace in seeing no one figuring out where the measurements came from. It was from my Nakamichi measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ments-of-nakamichi-dragon-cassette-deck.5595/

index.php

Was originally thinking about faking the whole measurement but didn't know how to make it look like tape measurements.

The deck is real by the way. I have yet to power it on but it looks really nice and cute. I don't have any small tape reels to put on it and that is something I need to buy.
You swine! ;)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

index.php

Are those 5 ¾ or smaller (was 3 ½ the next one down?)?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted "Not terrible" :facepalm:

FB_IMG_1572186727725.jpg

@amirm in his office, reading this thread.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dozens of ASR members are now looking at the Sony 101 they bought from Ebay immediately after reading this review, wondering why it sounds like crap. :p

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm as old as this device. Do I look that dated??

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be mildly curious to find out whether cassette tape could have been the finest mass-market medium of the pre-digital era, and the benefits of dual-capstan, 3-head, etc, but not at current e*ay prices! $600+ for Tandberg TCD440, err no thanks.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd be mildly curious to find out whether cassette tape could have been the finest mass-market medium of the pre-digital era, and the benefits of dual-capstan, 3-head, etc, but not at current e*ay prices! $600+ for Tandberg TCD440, err no thanks.
You can get a 3-head deck for 60 bucks or so. Look for Yamaha KX-10. Only problem, it's not the usual 19" format. Yamaha made it for their Classic line, which was a bit less wide, but fully featured otherwise. Can be compared to the Yamaha KX-670, it shares a lot of parts with it.
Play trim and auto tuning for each tape makes this very comfortable i think. The noise in the video is not caused by the deck, btw.;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a 3-head deck for 60 bucks or so. Look for Yamaha KX-10. Only problem, it's not the usual 19" format. Yamaha made it for their Classic line, which was a bit less wide, but fully featured otherwise. Can be compared to the Yamaha KX-670, it shares a lot of parts with it.
Play trim and auto tuning for each tape makes this very comfortable i think. The noise in the video is not caused by the deck, btw.;)
Looks like a great size, but only 1 capstan. Oh well it seems I could buy a Nakamichi BX300 for ~200 USD, which "only" seems like $190 too much.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

I thought it was a brilliant April Fool*! :)
I didn't actually look at the data. :facepalm:

Now, here's the weird part :) like any great satire, I wasn't completely discounting the review because there's a rather famous case of a pretty uninspiring Sony deck having gained audiophile cachet.
quoted in

121invest.sony350.jpg

Worse yet, I had a TC-350 -- courtesy of my PhD advisor -- which needed work and which I, ultimately, gave away. :(

So, now I need to get a "101" to compensate. :rolleyes:

Saponetto

Seriously, this thread had a bad side effect on me, April's fool or not:
I'm now obsessively looking for a cassette deck to restore/rejuvenate.

My wallet still continues to shake nervously... ;)

beagleman

Major Contributor
About this time of year? I'll put it on my calendar! :cool:

Actually, maybe I'll mix it up a bit & send this instead.

View attachment 197043

You might have to provide your own Tom Jones & Conway Twitty tapes, though.
That old Harman Kardon is probably a Really nice sounding receiver.
I know HK in the early -mid 80s still made some really decent stuff.

All of their stuff then, IMHO seemed to out do, just about all the big Japanese receivers and integrated amps.

(Sony, Technics, Pioneer etc)

SMJ

If you're going to have a tape machine, get one of these - a Nagra T.
A sort of grown up IV-S
(Original photo © NagraAudio)

Attachments

• Nagra T.jpg
    Nagra T.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom