• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony TA-ZH1ES: A DAC/Headphone Amp with a Sonic Signature?

Sp12er

You can buy a true 3.5mm to XLR cable and use the balanced out of the Sony to power an amp. That’s slightly better measuring than the unbalanced output.

Because the Sony adds a lot of harmonics, it may still sound great with monitors from Genelec/Neumann/Meyer Sound/JBL.
The dual mono 3.5mm?yeah maybe that's for the future. Interesting suggestion.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the best way to DSP in some harmonics? Any plug ins in mind?

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the best way to DSP in some harmonics? Any plug ins in mind?

@pkane has PKHarmonicVST which is FREE and fully adjustable.

Sony Music Center for the PC is FREE and uses Sony’s DSEE HX Standard algorithms. Its actually a really nice interface too!

Last edited:

davidmthekidd

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And really unstable and slow.
Music Center? Or PKHarmonic?

I have perfect stability with Music Center and it wasn’t slow for me. That said, moving the TA-ZH1ES gives you hardware DSEE which works with Foobar.

chickenchange

Better with DSD remastering on?

This has been my default headphone setup since its release. The Sabre stuff comes and goes but this stays. The sound is reminiscent of the NAD M51 which uses a similar system.
hi,
have you heard a TDA1541A DAC? if so, would you say M51 and TA-ZH1ES sound similar to it?

Veri

Master Contributor
would you say M51 and TA-ZH1ES sound similar to it?
I'm not sure what "similar" is supposed to be, but if you are looking for Sony TDA " sound " , just try getting a device with these vintage chips.
I have one. It sounds a tad rolled off, but otherwise fine.

Top Bottom