• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SS-CS5 crossover upgrade discussion

OP
V
So the CS umik2 came in. I did some new sweeps to compare the umik1 with stock cal, umik 2 with CS cal, and Dayton UMM6.

Interesting results. Dayton UMM6 orage. Umik2 CS cal green. Umik1 stock cal blue. I think I'll send in the UMM6 to CS to see if they can calibrate it for me. I think the UMIK 1 is close enough to the 2 as it is. Thoughts?

1647804292165.png

1647804388595.png

dr_mick51

I did. A resistor after a filter attenuates both below and above the crossover point, or what ever the parts sum too, so you end up with a peaky response. The T's impedance drops far to low too. The ST's response is only drops 5db from 20khz to 3.6khz, so there are significant problems.

This is what the raw responses look like on axis. It's a bit interesting.
ST = Blue
T = Yellow
W = pink

See what I'm working with here? The ST has way too much low frequency energy to have a shallow slope, and while I would love to cross it low ish, it's distortion below 5k skyrockets.

View attachment 188585

This is the current prediction for the three way I tested above
View attachment 188587

here is the schematic

View attachment 188588

Predicted impedance

View attachment 188589
Thank you very much. Could you please share the zma and frd files for the drivers?

OP
V
Thank you very much. Could you please share the zma and frd files for the drivers?
I have this project on hold for a little bit. The measurements I took with the dayton are not correct. So I need to go back and re-measure these drivers with the improved microphone. I have a three day weekend coming up so I just may do that and post the results here.

Top Bottom