• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony SS-CS5 3-way Speaker Review

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main reason for those unnormal high scores is that they were now calculated on spinoramas of back then which were strongly smoothed, not that they measure so well, so this cannot be used as an argument.

Thanks for clarification. Since the data/formula was built around smoothed measurements, hard to know if the more precise measurements follow the same formula.

How about JBL XPL90 vs JBL 4309 measured here on the NFS? The XPL90 is 0.1 points higher and if you just say they are identical, anyone buying the 4309 at $2000/pair should really get the XPL90 at a fraction of the cost.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for clarification. Since the data/formula was built around smoothed measurements, hard to know if the more precise measurements follow the same formula.

How about JBL XPL90 vs JBL 4309 measured here on the NFS? The XPL90 is 0.1 points higher and if you just say they are identical, anyone buying the 4309 at $2000/pair should really get the XPL90 at a fraction of the cost.
The early 1990s JBL XPL series was really quite good, so the not optimally tuned 4309 might be tonally not that superior without EQ, with EQ things might change though https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/jbl-4309-review-speaker.27255/#post-937967
Also the score doesn't tell anything about distortion, SPL limits etc.
The truth is though that there exist not too few good loudspeakers since the 1960s which with some EQ can sound even competitive today.

AudioLover73

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been finding the combination of the SSCS5 and the Denon PMA-900HNE to be particularly pleasing for whatever reason. Tonight I decided to bring the Revel M16s back home and hook them up to this Denon and see if that combo could work some magic and bring the Revels to the front of my preference line where it seems they should belong. I was beaming with optimism as I hooked them up but didn't hear anything particularly compelling about that combo. So I continue to like the Sonys better, and especially when hooked up to the Denon 900HNE. There is somehting consistent with my past preferences and that is I have never heard a 2 way bookshelf with a 6" or larger woofer that I was super pleased with. I tend to like smaller tweeters, around 3/4" diameter mated to woofers around 4". I also like giant horn rigs, but when it comes to direct radiators I tend to like them small and simple. The Sony is a 3 way of sorts but it has that itsy bitsy little upper tweeter and a smaller woofer.

redjr

Has Sony made any attempt to improve upon in the past 4 years? I wonder if adding a sub-woofer would improve the overall sonic listening experience by blending in some much needed bass to counter-balance out the sunglasses.

blse59

These speakeds have gotten stellar reviews literally everywhere except this website. I ordered a pair to see for myself and to try out the new SMSL amplifier I got.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These speakeds have gotten stellar reviews literally everywhere except this website. I ordered a pair to see for myself and to try out the new SMSL amplifier I got.

I was curious too and just got a pair. Have them hooked up to a Fosi V3 amp in my office/studio. I replaced two Klipsch speakers with these.

Wiim Pro Plus -> Schiit Saga (version without a silly tube) preamp -> Fosi V3 -> Sony SSCS5s.

I think they sound great, even without a subwoofer. Not too bright, nothing muffled. Bass was also good. Maybe Sony improved them since the initial review. I think they are worth more than what I paid for them on sale.

Top Bottom