• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NWZ-B183F Rundown @ $49.95 + tax Canadian.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased this Sony NWZ-B183F DAP "Walkman" for compact pocket use when I am not carrying the cel tel.

Sony Specifications:
- System requirements, Microsoft Windows® 8, Windows Vista® (SP2 or later), Windows® 7 (SP1 or later)
- Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0)
- Memory 4GB capacity for around 900 songs.
- Battery life, continuous playback music up to 16 hours.
- Charging time (Full charge) 70 minutes, 3-minute quick charge for 90 minutes playtime.
- Dimensions (W X H X D) 8.45 x 2.22 x 1.34 cm / 3.33" x 0.87" x 0.53"
- Weight 30 g.
- Bass Boost function for low-end power.
- EQ with several presets and a manual mode.
- Sound effects, Bass Boost.
- Aluminium finish.
- Audio playback file types MP3, WMA (Non-DRM)
- Display resolution 128x36 OLED, 0.9" (2.26 cm)(Organic Light Emitting Diode).
- FM Tuner
- What's In The Box, Headphones & Quick Start Guide.

Pros from my experience using it for a week:
- The unit has a safety feature to limit the volume although it can be disabled and then it goes very loud. I use it on setting 26 of 30.
- Thumb drive size and lightweight, can't even notice it in my pocket.
- Easy to use intuitive controls.
- Drag and drop for loading files onto the Walkman.
- Charges fast.
- Easy to read display that shows the required information.
- When using the preset EQ settings the unit gets louder and does not decrease the volume output.

Cons from my experience using it for a week:
- I used the unit up to ~6 hours with ~1/4 of the battery charge displayed as available.
- Very difficult procedure to disassemble the unit to replace the headphone jack or lithium rechargeable battery.
- The supplied Sony earphones are very uncomfortable and where immediately replaced with my KEF M100 headphones.
- When engaging the EQ for manual adjustment the power output decreases in a major way and becomes too quiet.
- The bass boost feature has way too much bass boost for my taste.
- Does not come supplied with a lanyard even though there is a loop for attaching one.
- The USB cap falls off too easily and so I don't use the cap.
- The unit will not play tracks or operate in any way when plugged in for USB charging.

Summary:
It's a good unit that is very easy to learn to use and has great sound quality and ample volume output when not using the manual EQ adjustments.
1.png

2.png

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm spoiled. I have two Sansa Clip+' with 128 GB MicroSDHC cards, not to mention running Rockbox.

Right? There's still nothing else like it. I have a clip Zip and two spares since they're out of production. A quick check on ebay shows they haven't depreciated at all.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Right? There's still nothing else like it. I have a clip Zip and two spares since they're out of production. A quick check on ebay shows they haven't depreciated at all.
While there's nothing like the Clip Plus or Zip, Rockbox support for Xduoo devices (X3 and X3 II in particular) is now quite mature; some Fiio is also getting one, I think.

Top Bottom